Whats harder, maths or physics? Watch

Poll: Which subject did you do better in? or you got the same grade in both?
I got a higher grade in maths (26)
47.27%
I got a higher grade in physics (10)
18.18%
I got the same grade in both (19)
34.55%
GuyUK
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I only did A level maths at college. I regret not doing Physics at A level, as it seems like an interesting course.

From my experiences, looking at results from my college, the results in the maths department were better then the results in the physics department. This could be down to teaching or people worked harder for maths. The A level results show that people do alot better in maths compare to physics, 40.7% got an A grade in maths and 28.6% got A grade in Physics in 2005. I don't think you can argue that more intelligent people do maths?

So people who did AS or A level maths and physics, what grades did you get in both? I would think that there's very likely to be a one grade differences between the two? I don't think it's likely you can get a A in Maths and a C or D in physics?or the other way around?

As I average over 70% in maths exams in university, I was thinking if I would be good at physics?

Any opinions?

Thanks
aqfrenzy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i reckon physics is harder then maths

i got 97% in AS maths and 82% in AS physics...full a-level scores coming soon :P
T kay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey, i am starting my a levels in september but i have heard that physics is supposed to be the hardest a level overall.
crankycaz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm an anomaly it seems. I found maths really hard and physics fine. Until the physics synoptic...which I've probably got a D or something for. But at AS, physics seems much easier for me.
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey crankycaz, i noticed that you did 6 as levels (and got very good grades btw) lol, wel done. im thinking of doing 5 mself next year, any advice???
crankycaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks. They were fairly low As compared to some of the TSRers' UMS scores, but I'm happy anyway.

I found I had very little free time with doing 5 ASs and I didn't do anything for General Studies so that's out of the equation. Best advice I can give is don't let the work build up on you - if you get given homework, try to get it done asap otherwise it soon builds up with 5 subjects. And teachers all tend to think their subject is the most important and they'll probably forget you're taking 5 subjects so be organised! Just try to be efficient and organise your time well and you should be fine.

I actually found that maths took up most of my time because I found it so hard. I dropped it and had 4 A2s, and I hardly seemed to be doing any work compared to some of my friends! So it does depend on which A Levels you're taking, because I didn't have any homework per se for music, and I found the course fairly easy. You might be taking 5 subjects where you're going to need to spend a lot of time on then all, so just try not to get drowned in work!

I'd like to add though that 5 A Levels are completely manageable, and you can still have a life - I managed!
T kay
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thanks for that crankycaz (cool name btw, lol)

most of the people i've asked seem to think that i should only do 4, but what you just said is what ive always thought, u can do 5 and still have a life as long as you keep on top of the work.

i'll make sure i stay disciplened and do a bit of work for every subject every week,

thanks for the advice
crankycaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No problemo.

I always told myself that if it did become too much I'd just drop maths, but a year and 3 modules isn't that unbearable really...I'm sure you'll be fine!
**mentalheroin**
Report 11 years ago
It depends.

I think i scored higher on physics because i value interesting stuff, like physics brings, over problem-solving, which is all Maths is.
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
physics is MILES harder than maths, and im not a mathmo.

Anyone remember phy5 edexcel paper from june definatley no more than 50% raw marks on that. Synoptic was alright though, and 4 was very easy.
jazznaz
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maths is much harder than Physics IMO.

I scored 240 UMS in AS Maths, and 291 in AS Physics. *shrug*
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find Physics easier (well, at GCSE) than Maths.
Fizzer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Physics. Mathematics isn't that hard if you really get down to it. Physics just seems impossible. It's funny because I'm actually going to be starting A-level Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics this September. I'm so dead lol.
xlouisedoll
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never did Physics, but guaranteed I'd find it the hardest out of any A level subject because I never really managed to grasp it at GCSE until it came round to the final exam!
.ACS.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends on the individual. Some people who are good at mathematics will also be just as good at physics, while others will find one a lot easier than the other.

Having done the first year of the Bac S in France (first year = AS-Level), I found Maths very easy and Physics very difficult while all my friends were the complete opposite. It really depends.
Anonymous samosa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Physics is harder...but if you're good at maths, physics should be easy.
sugar_cane
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Physics definitely! I'm awaiting Physics AS and Maths A2 results, but I definitely found Physics harder over the year and a subject which I had to work much harder in than my other subjects.
mrsmann
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's quite hard to say. Both are quite easy. But I've done better on Maths so Physics is slightly harder, but only because of Section C(if you do OCR B) and having to explain things using terms they want.
calcium878
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find Maths easier.
purple-girl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, I'm only doing GCSEs at the mo, but I have to say I find Maths much easier, even with the AS standard stuff I've been doing cos of the additional paper. Once you know the techniques, I think that maths seems rather logical, and then you can apply what you know to many different questions (though I must admit that applying my knowledge is, or was, one of my major downfalls). I just find physics confusing, and it took me ages to get my head around certain concepts. And Maths is the only one of my 4 AS subjects that I'm definstely gonna take to A2, as it'd be essential for both my possible career routes (science and economics).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
42.86%
No - I got the required grades (3)
42.86%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
14.29%

Watched Threads