Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it weird for a guy to read Girly books? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I like reading and I read a lot of books. Mostly in the young adult real life kinda genre.
    I wanted to ask that is it weird if you see a guy reading something like Eleanor and Park or looking for Alaska. Are they classed as books for girls or like can anyone read them???
    I know anyone can read them but please answer if you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maghfoor)
    Okay so I like reading and I read a lot of books. Mostly in the young adult real life kinda genre.
    I wanted to ask that is it weird if you see a guy reading something like Eleanor and Park or looking for Alaska. Are they classed as books for girls or like can anyone read them???
    No, it's not weird. Why would certain genres/styles be restricted to one gender?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maghfoor)
    Yes mainly stuff like that is classed as girls books, but more guys read them than you might think. For example when the Twilight books were big (this is before the movies came out), the guys would laugh and say how girly they were but they knew the stories in such detail it was clear half of them had read it and weren't admitting it. And a lot of the time 'girly' teen books are written by guys, Looking for Alaska certainly is, so it hardly seems fair that guys are discouraged from reading them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.