Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not talking to my grandma she is a toxic person. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I love my grandma so much but I go to her each year for 1 month she is really good to me but I don't want to talk to her as she is toxic.I am someone who struggles with feeling worthy and believing that I am good enough to be loved etc (self-esteem struggles).She manages each time to convince me that my step-father doesn't love me and that he doesn't see my as his own which he claims he does.Which then gives me have a hard time as I struggle internally with my thoughts and then am burned out emotionally as I believe her and what she says of course isn't true.I love her but I can't go through another emotional burn out.I will maybe stick with small talk such as hello how was your day I love you etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Currently going through the same with my own gran at the moment. I love her with all my heart but she brings me down and I've had to take a step back from her for a bit for my own health and happiness. She wont support my wedding, she criticises what I look like, what I choose to do with my life, always casts up that I don't want kids and has said some nasty things regarding my health. I'm her only grandchild so she has super high expectations of me.

I know how stressful and hurtful a situation like this can be and you're right, it does burn you out. I think its essential to take some time out from toxic people, even if they are family, for your own wellbeing. Sometimes a few days of a break is enough and sometimes it has to be longer but you'll know what is best. I hope one day you are able to sit down and talk to your gran though and hopefully work things out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    I love my grandma so much but I go to her each year for 1 month she is really good to me but I don't want to talk to her as she is toxic.I am someone who struggles with feeling worthy and believing that I am good enough to be loved etc (self-esteem struggles).She manages each time to convince me that my step-father doesn't love me and that he doesn't see my as his own which he claims he does.Which then gives me have a hard time as I struggle internally with my thoughts and then am burned out emotionally as I believe her and what she says of course isn't true.I love her but I can't go through another emotional burn out.I will maybe stick with small talk such as hello how was your day I love you etc.
    Therapists can help with this. You need to work on your self esteem issues.

People like your grandma, feed on weakness but they only have the power to hurt you if you let them.

If you want a relationship with your Gran, it needs to be on your terms.

You need to be strong enough to confront her about her behaviour and be clear that you will not stand for it. If she oversteps boundaries, there must be consequences.

You need to teach her that if she wants a relationship with you, she cannot treat you like she does now.

But if you don't feel strong enough for that yet, you should keep distance and work on your own issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Currently going through the same with my own gran at the moment. I love her with all my heart but she brings me down and I've had to take a step back from her for a bit for my own health and happiness. She wont support my wedding, she criticises what I look like, what I choose to do with my life, always casts up that I don't want kids and has said some nasty things regarding my health. I'm her only grandchild so she has super high expectations of me.

I know how stressful and hurtful a situation like this can be and you're right, it does burn you out. I think its essential to take some time out from toxic people, even if they are family, for your own wellbeing. Sometimes a few days of a break is enough and sometimes it has to be longer but you'll know what is best. I hope one day you are able to sit down and talk to your gran though and hopefully work things out.
    Another thing is that I am very ambitious and get easily stressed out and she doesn't understand that part of my success is crying as it helps me calm down and I may cry because I am struggling with something but this doesn't mean I need to be less ambitious and have lower expectations but work harder and continue as my philosophy in life is if you do what is hard you will have an easy life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)

Another thing is that I am very ambitious and get easily stressed out and she doesn't understand that part of my success is crying as it helps me calm down and I may cry because I am struggling with something but this doesn't mean I need to be less ambitious and have lower expectations but work harder and continue as my philosophy in life is if you do what is hard you will have an easy life.I am never going to put my expectations down because I am stressed because life is not easy and we need to battle through every day with our struggles and face them there will be days where your emotions and ambition gets the better of your emotions but we do not become less ambitious as every day is a new day and we continue and battle through as all battles are lost and won but it doesn't mean that we should give up and not be ambitious.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.