Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

2nd Degree - NHS/Student finance 2017/2018 HELP!

    • Thread Starter

    Hi I wondered if you could help me please.I am currently on an access to HE course with a local college in the hopes of applying to Salford uni to study Podiatry.Problem being is I already have a degree in criminology (Graduated 2011) but was young stupid and didn't really know what I wanted.I tried my best graduated and that was that.I now work for the NHS love my job but want further myself being older and wiser now podiatry has been in my mind for a the funding has changed I'm reading in some places & the website that anyone with a degree already pursuing a career in health care will have access to the same student loan system as those studying their first degree and won't pay any of the second degree back until the first has been paid.Then in others i have been advised that I won't be eligible at all.Do you have any further info on what the case my be please?


    I would like to know the answer to this also

    I am also in a similar position and have received some very conflicting advice so I would like to know a clear answer to this.

    I have completed a BA Hons degree in Marketing and graduated in 2011 and as you, I was young and stupid and didn't know what I really wanted to do. I've done lots of research and been in for work days at a local hospital and am now wanting to study Radiology at degree level after I have completed an access to HE course which starts very soon!

    I have too seen on the Gov website that students studying a healthcare degree will receive the same funding as those studying their first degree and pay back one loan at a time.

    So.. first I rang Student Finance England and spoke to someone who said that I would not be eligible for any funding (loans or grants) at all and I would have to self fund any second degree I would be studying including a health related or NHS course.

    I then went to my local college for some advice and they said that the funding changes have still not been finalized and that there still could be funding available for people studying a second degree like me.

    So I then rang student finance again today and they said that any student is only eligible for 4 years of funding for any course and because I have already studied at degree level for 3 years, any course I choose to study at degree level again would only be funded for 1 year.
    This is the first I have ever heard of something like that.. I really don't know what to believe!

    I really hope to get a straight, clear answer soon as there will be no point in starting the Access to HE course if I can't get any funding at all for a second degree!
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.