Uwe 2017/18

University Navigation

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm really hoping to go to UWE next year, and am applying next month hopefully! just wanted to see if anyone else was planning on going?

I know there is still a year to go I'm just so excited lol. I want to study either law with criminology or maybe psychology... my mind is not made up yet haha!

If I do go I'll be moving into student accommodation on campus as I'm from plymouth, any opinions on accommodation?

Cheers,
    Rhys.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was thinking of going to UWE, and studying Psychology but I am a bit unsure, as I have just realised how many students actually go to UWE, as I wanted small classes. I advise you going to an open day to figure out the feel of the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mei123)
    Hi, I was thinking of going to UWE, and studying Psychology but I am a bit unsure, as I have just realised how many students actually go to UWE, as I wanted small classes. I advise you going to an open day to figure out the feel of the university.
    Hello! It seems like quite a popular university so yeah I shouldn't imagine classes being small... especially with such a broad subject as Psychology. On the other hand, it has a good reputation so you should consider!

I'm going to the open day in a week, so next Saturday!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I literally just went to an open day and asked about the class sizes and they said it can differ from 150-200 students. I don't exactly know what to think of it, as I kind of wanted the teachers to know who I am and not just a number but let me know what you think!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I literally just went to an open day and asked about the class sizes and they said it can differ from 150-200 students. I don't exactly know what to think of it, as I kind of wanted the teachers to know who I am and not just a number but let me know what you think!
    Will do! My sister goes to a smaller university and she says it's much more personal. Her class only has about 40 students in it I believe! But it's the only university experience she's had so couldn't comment on the feeling of bigger classes! I would imagine that the smaller the class sizes the more personal the tutor's will be. knowing your name etc...

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thanks for telling me this. I am just so indecisive about universities haha. Where else have you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thanks for telling me this. I am just so indecisive about universities haha. Where else have you applied for?
    No problem! I haven't actually applied yet, but i'm intending on applying to Bristol UWE, potentially Cardiff or Swansea, and Plymouth (my home town, as a back up).

I've not been to any other open day's apart from Plymouth and bristol next week... I really wanted to look at Reading university but haven't had chance yet.. need to get a move on considering i'm applying within the month lol!

ReputationRep:
    Omg, are you going to Bristol next week? I am too, by the way when I said about how I went to an open day before I meant I went to Sussex haha, sorry to confuse you. And same here, I need to figure out which university I want to go too, I don't know whether I need to just suck it up and think every university is going to be large? so I may just have to stick with it. Instead of trying to find smaller universities?

ReputationRep:
    Omg, are you going to Bristol next week? I am too, by the way when I said about how I went to an open day before I meant I went to Sussex haha, sorry to confuse you. And same here, I need to figure out which university I want to go too, I don't know whether I need to just suck it up and think every university is going to be large? so I may just have to stick with it. Instead of trying to find smaller universities?
    Indeed I am! Haha, that's okay! I don't think that there are many small universities but you could find that even in small numbers you might not be treated more 'personally'. I've had a few people from my secondary school move there this year and from what I can gather they're loving it! I'm just so eager to go because I've heard about it's good reputation! Obviously, I would go to more open day's but try not too let numbers worry you too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhystolson)
    Hey,

I'm really hoping to go to UWE next year, and am applying next month hopefully! just wanted to see if anyone else was planning on going?

I know there is still a year to go I'm just so excited lol. I want to study either law with criminology or maybe psychology... my mind is not made up yet haha!

If I do go I'll be moving into student accommodation on campus as I'm from plymouth, any opinions on accommodation?

Cheers,
    Rhys.
    Ive applied for accounting and finance! I think the city centre accomodation options look the nicest but it depends on where your classes are taught because for business its the frenchay campus which is like a 20 min bus ride from town apparently so im going to go for the student village which is near and seema convenient, it depends on what youd prefer though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwilson22)
    Ive applied for accounting and finance! I think the city centre accomodation options look the nicest but it depends on where your classes are taught because for business its the frenchay campus which is like a 20 min bus ride from town apparently so im going to go for the student village which is near and seema convenient, it depends on what youd prefer though!
    Hey! Yeah my course will be on the Frenchay campus too! I went to the open day and really liked the student village accommodation so I think that will be the one I apply too

Do you want to be added into a Facebook group with other people who are applying for UWE? I've only found a handful of people applying so far!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Yeah my course will be on the Frenchay campus too! I went to the open day and really liked the student village accommodation so I think that will be the one I apply too

Do you want to be added into a Facebook group with other people who are applying for UWE? I've only found a handful of people applying so far!
    Yes please that would be great! Can I find it on there or is it a private one??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwilson22)
    Yes please that would be great! Can I find it on there or is it a private one??
    It's a private one! I'll PM you a link to my Facebook page and if you send me a friend request I'll be able to add you into the group!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Cheers,
    Rhys.

I'm applying for law with psychology.

I wasn't able to go to any open days, did you speak to anyone about the course?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Cheers,
    Rhys.
    Hi, I'm applying for criminology at UWE. I am really torn between the student village and market gate accommodation though!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Cheers,
    Rhys.
    I'm hoping to get into UWE next year too!!
    I want to study either architecture and environmental engineering or architectural technology.
    Since i'll be an international student and my course will be at the Frenchay campus, but I'm not sure where to stay...
    What is more, I've applied to Cardiff metropolitan and Plymouth too but UWE really stole my heart.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask why you are only applying at ex-polys? Even if your grades are not stellar why not trying to apply at a low ranked pre-1992 university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My grades are actually really good and I stand as one of the scholars in my grade..
    All the universities that I was initially planning to apply to such as Kent and Bath, were only offering BSC or BA in architecture.
    But I had made up my mind on architectural technology which only a hand full of universities offer.
    But then I came across a double/ joint degree in architecture and environmental engineering, a course ONLY offered by UWE and this seems to be my best option..
    My counsellor went along with my choice..
    Pray tell, am I making a wrong choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrici3383)
    My grades are actually really good and I stand as one of the scholars in my grade..
    All the universities that I was initially planning to apply to such as Kent and Bath, were only offering BSC or BA in architecture.
    But I had made up my mind on architectural technology which only a hand full of universities offer.
    But then I came across a double/ joint degree in architecture and environmental engineering, a course ONLY offered by UWE and this seems to be my best option..
    My counsellor went along with my choice..
    Pray tell, am I making a wrong choice?
    Well I do not know if you are making the wrong choice. I can only tell you what I would do if I was you. If indeed you have good grades try to aim for a good university with good reputation, preferably a Russell group university or at least a pre-1992 university.

I am sure the joint degree in architecture and environmental engineering sounds good but frankly speaking if you have not even started studying how can you be so sure this is exactly what you want?

My believe is that students should enter university with a broad idea of what they want to study. But specialization at so early stage seems futile to me. So if you know you want to study architecture try and find a reputable university that will ensure good employment once you graduate.

Remember university is for most people just 3 or 4 years of studying after that real life begins. And you want a good job and for that a good degree from a reputable university. All this specializations and joint degrees mean little in the outside world. I studied economics. If I was to hire someone I would look if their degree had something to do with economics and if it was from a reputable university. I would not care that much if he did economics with accounting of straight economics, unless the jobs required such specialization which is highly unlikely.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Cheers,
    Rhys.
    I'm thinking of applying to UWE as well, doing Accounting and Finance course, I went to the open day recently to look at the accommodation and I like the look of wallscourt but not sure if it's as lively as student village or not, so a bit torn haha

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 20, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
University of the West of England resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.