Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Drop Physics A-Level, Maths A-Level or keep both.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I don't know what I want to do anymore at uni specifically; I keep switching between Biochemistry, Genetics, Medicinal and Biological Chemistry etc...

I feel like I need more free periods in my timetable at my sixth form. I'm not looking to do anything like Biochemical Engineering or courses that explicitly ask for 4. Since my future degree will definitely involve Biology and Chemistry, if I was to drop a subject, should it be Physics or Maths?

PS: I got AAA in Core,Add and Triple Science but B in Maths at GCSE. I am better at Physics than Maths AS so far as in, best in my year in Physics but 10th in the year at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    If you definitely want to drop one then I recommend you drop physics. Science courses at top unis often ask for a science or two and maths. Doing all three sciences and no maths could potentially disadvantage you if you end up really liking a uni that specifically asks for maths. I applied for chemistry and all 5 of my unis required chemistry, maths and another science (I took the same subjects as you up to A2).

Think about if you really need more study periods and if you would actually use them properly. I dropped physics after AS for the same reason but then felt that I had too many study periods so I came back to physics in October and did all 4 subjects.

If you're 100% sure then I recommend you first look at all the courses you've mentioned at the unis you like and see whether any of them require maths. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeetaRJ)
    I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. I don't know what I want to do anymore at uni specifically; I keep switching between Biochemistry, Genetics, Medicinal and Biological Chemistry etc...

I feel like I need more free periods in my timetable at my sixth form. I'm not looking to do anything like Biochemical Engineering or courses that explicitly ask for 4. Since my future degree will definitely involve Biology and Chemistry, if I was to drop a subject, should it be Physics or Maths?

PS: I got AAA in Core,Add and Triple Science but B in Maths at GCSE. I am better at Physics than Maths AS so far as in, best in my year in Physics but 10th in the year at Maths.
    Speak to your teachers to check whether Yr 13 physics content will be do-able with "just" an AS in maths. If they're happy that you'll cope then go with your strengths and your interests and drop maths.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.