Which medical schools place a low weighting on interviews to get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to chose my 4 choices and since I've already thought about Oxford and UCL, I want to have 2 'safe' options. I was wondering which Unis place a relatively small weighting on interviews compared to academic grades/UKCAT- Basically, I'm scared I'll flop my interviews if I get any.
    Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh. Mainly because you don't have an interview :P.

Other than that there really aren't many others. Aberdeen might be one I think...

ReputationRep:
    They're pretty important at them all - they're expensive to run so if they were not important they would not do them. There may be some relative differences but I am not able to tell you what those are.

ReputationRep:
    I would've said UCL, but you're already applying there. Unless they've changed it, they invite between 700 and 800 (out of almost 3 000) applicants to an interview, and then make about 500 offers; so, most of the selection is done before the interview stage, and the majority of interviewees can expect to receive offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    I would've said UCL, but you're already applying there. Unless they've changed it, they invite between 700 and 800 (out of almost 3 000) applicants to an interview, and then make about 500 offers; so, most of the selection is done before the interview stage, and the majority of interviewees can expect to receive offers.
    A bit of a relief. But still need to get an interview first tho lol.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Honestly medical schools place so much emphasis on interview because on paper you may look amazing, but in reality will you really have the communication skills, empathy and character which makes a good doctor? this is shown to the interviewers at interview, thats why med schools invest so much time and effort into doing them.

The only medical school which doesn't interview is Edinburgh, but considering your looking for safe options unless you have 14A*s, A*A*AA predicted, 750+ UKCAT, play an instrument, are head body, are the captain of the rowing team and have volunteered in africa Edinburgh will never ever be safe, it is by far one of the most competative application systems of the medical schools, it is right up there with oxford, cambridge, imperial.

Your better looking for medical schools which have a lower interview to offer ratio, the only issue with this method is it is often harder to get to interview stages in the first place.

My advice is go and practice your interview technique, get prepared well as the best applicants at interview as the ones that have prepared (ask any admissions tutor).

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Have you ever bought a piece of work and submitted it as your own?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.