The Student Room Group

Number 2 in house share?

As the title suggests, it's a bit embarrassing, but I feel very uncomfortable going to the toilet for a number 2.

I live with 3 other people so theres 4 of us altogether sharing one toilet and my housemates' rooms are very close to the toilet so you can hear everything.

I didnt go for almost a week until I went back home on the weekend. But I can't do that anymore.

Any tips on how to deal with it? Its making me feel quite sick :redface:
First off just to reassure you everyone has to do it! I do understand why you might feel a little self conscious, especially if it's your first time sharing a bathroom like this.

You can always put some toilet paper down the toilet first to minimise noise. Also you could time it so you go to the toilet when you are going for a shower so you've got a bit more time in the bathroom and you don't have to worry that people are aware of how long you're taking. If you really need an extra distraction you could even put the shower on while you go (but don't take the mickey with how long it's running when you're sharing bills!). Get an air-freshener for the bathroom too so you don't have to worry about smells-- everyone in the house will use it and be grateful.

Umm... if I think of anything else I'll let you know but please don't worry too much and keep yourself healthy :smile:
It's really, really unlikely that other people are listening out for you using the bathroom, or that they are attaching the same kind of significance to this that you are. (Or any significance, if we're honest.) It's also really, really bad for you to hold it in for extended periods of time.

Clearly this is bothering you a lot, so maybe it would be a good idea to think of some strategies to minimise your concerns. Can you pick a time when your housemates are out of the house, or all downstairs? Can you take a radio into the bathroom and play it while you shower, and go to the loo then as well? But to be honest, the main thing is to recognise that this isn't something that your housemates are focusing on at all, so try to free yourself up from that worry.
honestly you probably need to get over it a bit, people poo it's not surprising and no one is going to think anything of it if they were to hear anything

if you're concerned then run a tap/flush the loo/put the shower on while you go to make some noise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending