What to do in gap years? (three years)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will have to wait until September 2019 before I can to a university . Please give me some ideas/suggestions on things I should do in these three years.
    [I want to become a theoretical physicist. Physics is my passion.]

Current qualifications: A in Physics, A* in mathematics and A in further mathematics. (I was too impatient and attempted all of this in approximately 4 months and the fact that I had to wait three years deemed it useless.)

Questions:
    1) What are the things I could do keeping my goal in mind?
    2) What are the things I could do to further strengthen my career (apart from physics)?

Side question: I am 18 now and will be 21 then. Do I have to feel bad about this?

Any suggestions or ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!

ReputationRep:
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    TBH I don't understand your predicament - are you taking 3 years out because you have something you want/need to do for 3 years or what? how much time will you have each week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangotangopapa2)
    I will have to wait until September 2019 before I can to a university . Please give me some ideas/suggestions on things I should do in these three years.
    [I want to become a theoretical physicist. Physics is my passion.]

Current qualifications: A in Physics, A* in mathematics and A in further mathematics. (I was too impatient and attempted all of this in approximately 4 months and the fact that I had to wait three years deemed it useless.)

Questions:
    1) What are the things I could do keeping my goal in mind?
    2) What are the things I could do to further strengthen my career (apart from physics)?

Side question: I am 18 now and will be 21 then. Do I have to feel bad about this?

Any suggestions or ideas will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Get any kind of job or work experience, it doesn't have to be physics related but anything that develops your soft skills (e.g: leadership, communication, teamwork etc) is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    TBH I don't understand your predicament - are you taking 3 years out because you have something you want/need to do for 3 years or what? how much time will you have each week?
    Thank you for the reply.

I need three years in order to qualify as a home student and also to qualify for student finance. Overseas fees are unaffordable. (I hold indefinite leave to enter but do not have years of ordinary residence for both the cases.)

I have not committed myself to anything yet. After I join a job/ apprenticeship program, I will have 20-25 hours a week for physics / mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Well IMO you'd better keep yourself busy otherwise you might feel demoralised, so definitely try getting a job of some sort.

Worth noting that unis generally like to see evidence of recent academic achievement so plan to have achieved some extra qualification - doesn't necessarily have to be A level equivalent afaik.
    also afaik academics do believe your maths drops off rapidly when it's not in use.

possibly you could do some free modules on snufkins list http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...rimary_content or a mooc https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massiv..._online_course

You could persue a hobby in something like electronics or astronomy on the side - or anything else you're interested in that isn't necessarily physics related, and IMO it's worth starting or maintaining regular participation in sports

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soooo much!!!!

(Original post by Joinedup)

Worth noting that unis generally like to see evidence of recent academic achievement so plan to have achieved some extra qualification - doesn't necessarily have to be A level equivalent afaik.
    also afaik academics do believe your maths drops off rapidly when it's not in use.
    What could be some extra qualifications?
    Is it a good idea to take STEP a year before applying?

ReputationRep:
    Do an apprenticeship
    http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/ or you can do something probably IT related
    http://apprenticeships.qa.com/

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tangotangopapa2)
    Thank you soooo much!!!!

What could be some extra qualifications?
    Is it a good idea to take STEP a year before applying?
    I like the Astronomy GCSE there's established distance learning at (IMO) reasonable costs, used to be quite a popular adult/evening class.

Well a step would be evidence that you hadn't lost maths. I'm not sure if it would be guaranteed to tick the box for recent study since AFAIK it's based on A level material

Probably worth coming up with some ideas and asking the admission tutors at some of the unis you're thinking of applying to if they can give you any feedback on your plan..

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.