I'm daft and missed many of the open days, what else an I do I help chose Unis?.

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Maybe useful info: I want to study Physics Bachelors and I live in London but don't think I want to study here. My AS grades are A in Maths A in Physics and B in Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainJuice)
    Maybe useful info: I want to study Physics Bachelors and I live in London but don't think I want to study here. My AS grades are A in Maths A in Physics and B in Chemistry.
    A lot of universities offer campus tours/visits over the Autumn half term (and even if they don't if you contact them and ask about visiting then they will usually try to help).

Contact the department and uni to see if there are any informals. The department can soemtimes help with an informal open day where you get to meet a student or lecturer and they show you areound the facilities. The uni itself might have someone to show you round the rest of the Uni.

Alternatively use your initiative, get a map and visit yourself. You are only after seeing a few obvious places , but you will get a lot of the feel from the place just visiting.

1. Where is the uni situated.. Is the city a place I could live?
    2. How does the campus fit together. Spread or together.
    3. Where will I be studying, lectures, labs and department for tutorials.
    4. Library and IT.
    5. Whats the bar like.
    6. Cafeteria/ canteen options. Shops.
    7. Rest of student Union.
    8. Sports facilities.
    9. Chance to see accommodation might be too much of a trek unless you have a car or research a specific one.

You should get a gut instinct. If its important and a long distance then I might make it as part of a trip so I stayed overnight and made a trip of it. Could you live there for three years?

ReputationRep:
    I did most of my research through websites, I live in Plymouth and the only open day I've actually been too apart from my own cities is Bristol... I'm going to look at Bristol UWE in a couple of weeks too though. Tbh, when I looked at the universities websites at the grounds, location, course content and the city/nightlife It was a clear indication of wether or not I wanted to go to look at the university.

I've literally just been searching through a variety of different universities from a list that I had found online and I'm ticking off the ones that I think I'd like. So far, bristol is at the top of my list, but that's only because it meets all of the criteria I would ideally want from a city/university.
    On the other hand, I looked at the 'Leicester University' website and it really seemed to un-interest me as compared to Bristol... however most people i've spoken to have said that Leicester is a great uni.

It's really just a process of Illimination. If you can't go to the open day, I'd suggest you make a list of criteria that you want it to cover... so Course content, location, things to do etc... and then use it as a kind of check list to narrow down universities that you're thinking about. Youtube the university also, majority of uni's have their own channels where they post video's that cover all of the questions you might want to ask, helps to inform your decision.

Finally, I'd highly recommend Plymouth if it's on your list... I'm not going to it simply because I want a change after living here for years, but regardless it's still a good uni with a great reputation. Mixture of good night life as well as course content. Nice and modern too.

Have fun picking your future!

ReputationRep:
    Sussex has an open day this Saturday maybe suitable to compare to others.
    Offer would probably be AAB, but even as insurance as BBB "should" be accepted

ReputationRep:
    Saturday 8th October is a bumper crop
    Nottingham certainly is worth a look, Manchester if you think you'll get A*s

http://www.opendays.com/calendar/?month=Oct&year=2016

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!
    Just a thought as well. You mention physics... I suggest you look at the modules and layout of the courses and if you want to do a more maths based course, or astro or theoretical, or whatever.
    https://www.whatuni.com/degree-cours...-0c-0d-0e&rf=g

Have a look at the league tables from CUG, Guardian, and the Telegraph. Knock a few off due to location and/or grades, or crapness

You'll probably still end up with around 20 possibilities, I came up with 11 for open days that were suitable. It ruled a number out due to the feel of the university, the course specifics, accomodation or whatever. I said that rejecting Salford, Lincoln and Southampton for very different reasons was not a bad thing as it just meant she was aware of what was important to her.
    But at the end of the day if the course feels right for you and the university doesn't turn you off then you will likely do really well wherever you go.
    My daughter got to a toss up with her fifth choice between playing it safe with Hull (I think) or putting Nottingham (which she liked a lot due to Sixty Symbols on Youtube) but the Nottingham applicant day left her disillusioned so she ended up firming her lowest offer at Sussex and got accepted, and so far she is enjoying it.

Just a point that going to the applicant days will be a must for you! (which with a decent focussed PS and your predicted grades you should get 5 offers)
    Its won't just be about the interview, it will be a second (or first) chance to see how you really feel about the place (They all ended up as a second open day and as we had been before it meant we could look at different aspects of the campus that were an issue before), it might alter your opinions that you thought you had, or in fact simply reaffirm that you definitiely want to go somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    If you're free this weekend we have an Open Day at UEA in Norwich (22 October). Norwich is a two-hour train journey from London Liverpool Street. You can book at www.uea.ac.uk/opendays. We've just kick-started a new Physics course, take a look at our video to see if you could imagine yourself here.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.