SimCity 4000 - high tech industry? Watch

Tagit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Cortez)
I don't have links to other nations for landfill etc, it just build all that in the city I'm working on. I do have road links and water links to neighbouring cities though for deals etc.

Does your seaport have any road access? I haven't had much luck with seaports. I can rarely find a space to put them without spending **** loads on landscaping and then when I do find a space I can't figure out how to join a road to it!
I just randomly added a port there to be honest. Just a trial, i am trying to start a new city now as my interest has resurged. The biggest i have got is a population of 100k and that was in sc3000, damn transport issues. The thing is without grids its hard to get the larger buildings as they need larger 6x4 squares etc so what i end up with is squares attached by diagonal roads. Also i always end up with large flat land with a straight coastline, i really should work on the terrain first but having mountains can make it harder when you need to develop over them.
Sephiroth
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I always try to avoid putting industry in my main cities and put it in neighbouring ones, but it doesn't work well because that industry only seems to get half full. I haven't played the game for over a month but here's a screenshot of what the city I was working on looks like.

It has 520k population at year 65. That may sound fast but it has a lot of supporting cities.

Mountains can be fun, I have another city I was working on that has a giant crater in the middle, it's deep and nice and round. The slopes can be built on and even the inside of the hole, with tunnels leading into it.

The above screenshot is old and shows it before I started zoning but you get the idea of what you can do with mountains. Building on the slopes of mountains is quite difficult in this game, they need to be a really gentle slope.
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago

There is the one I'm working on (res is a bit low!). Only 75k population

I've got no proper neighbouring cities though ... just one of the tutorial ones.

I've got loads of residential with really small houses populating 10 or so each .. I dezoned some of these and replaced with high density but the same houses came back?!
Morgoth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
theres a lot of residential there, sure you got enough industry for the people to actually work at?
Cortez
Rep:
?
hmm I'm not sure. I haven't seen any no job signs and when I do it's because of commute time. Do residents mind living next to high tech industry? Maybe I should zone some of that into a more central location.
Tabris
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I miss the days where Bowswer would stomp across your city
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's huge!

Do any of you do the little missions? Like catching robbers and flying the air ambulance etc. I did a few of them yesterday to rise my mayor rating yesterday. The police helicopter ones are quite hard though.
missions?? is that only available in the expansion?
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Morgoth)
Damn thats a pretty impressive city, though whats going on in the top right there, is that all landfill?
yeah there's landfill next to all the dirty power plants. at some point i need to destroy all those plants and just make 2x hydrogen plants, but i'd lose loads a month. luckily that wont matter as i currently have nearly 4 million simoleons :p:. I haven't totally got rid of all the dirty industry yet, that's my next task.

EDIT: no, i was wrong, nearly 6 million simoleons...
Cortez
Rep:
?
(Original post by olileauk)
missions?? is that only available in the expansion?
I dunno, maybe. Look on my screenshot and you can see little helicopters and cars .. if you click those you get to drive them :p:
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes you need Rush Hour to play the UDI (U Drive It) missions.
Residents are also happy as pigs in poo living next to High Tech industry. Perhaps try introducing some initiatives like Car Share, and putting bus stops around residential areas and in the industrial zones. This will improve commute time. In addition, remember that Commercial is a good way to supplement residential areas with jobs, without creating a whackoff industrial estate
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

There is the one I'm working on (res is a bit low!). Only 75k population

I've got no proper neighbouring cities though ... just one of the tutorial ones.

I've got loads of residential with really small houses populating 10 or so each .. I dezoned some of these and replaced with high density but the same houses came back?!
Residential, like commercial, has to start off somewhere... High density zoning doesn't necessarily = big tower blocks. The demand has to be there. You need to work on increasing the number of jobs available. Perhaps create a neighbouring city and connect it up? Your current city will become a commuter paradise
Cortez
Rep:
?
I just started a neighbouring city this morning and I've linked them up. I'm developing that in a similar way to the one above though (all 3 zones as required).

The second city does seem to be developing much quicker, I guess that's to do with having fairly big cities either side (mine and the big city tutorial).
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think the best city layout to use is rings, except they'll be rectangle shape. Put some R in centre, C next ring, I next ring, R next, C next, I next etc. The reason you use that order is so your R has to pass through C to get to work, and C loves high traffic. And with the ring system your residents are never far away from C or I so low commute times.

Another way is to use the classic 9x9 square setup for your zones, and you place a large park in the centre for land value. Or a large plaza for commercial. You could even combine the 9x9 with the ring system I described. Next time I start a new city I want to try it.
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm gonna try that ^^ it sounds like a really good idea.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Only problem with it is there is usually very low demand for commercial when you start new cities, unless you have some good neighbours set up.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
I think the best city layout to use is rings, except they'll be rectangle shape. Put some R in centre, C next ring, I next ring, R next, C next, I next etc. The reason you use that order is so your R has to pass through C to get to work, and C loves high traffic. And with the ring system your residents are never far away from C or I so low commute times.

Another way is to use the classic 9x9 square setup for your zones, and you place a large park in the centre for land value. Or a large plaza for commercial. You could even combine the 9x9 with the ring system I described. Next time I start a new city I want to try it.
Either that or do a Milton Keynes and make areas of your city into self sufficient pods, separated by big trunk roads with hundreds of roundabouts!

I did a similar thing in a past city of mine, where I had 9, 6x6 blocks in a square, separated by one way streets - the outer 8 with residential in and the centre with fire, police, hospitals, schools, parks etc in a logical overlapping pattern. i'd then have a grid of these blocks where it would be 8 residential blocks surrounding a commercial block, but spaced so that there was a commercial block every other grid along. It was very efficient, though the traffic problems I had on the major intersections were appalling. I remember a particular avenue intersection that had over 10000 cars using it :eek:

I personally prefer to not plan in fixed grids now, but to just build as I see fit and, where possible use an "anti-grid". This does have a downside that commute time is high, however I have no traffic problems at all, thanks to my completely self sufficient mass transit system.
Tagit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i made a new city yesterday which had a large R area and one large I area linked by 3 roads, the traffic through them was very high and the C along them developed really well, it was a great starter city till the damn thing crashed, never saved it so even lost the terrain i made :mad:

EDIT: new city i consequently started . Just got the university, is that a NIMBY ( i cant remember)?
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The university is a YIMBY. There's a big list of what the YIMBY and NIMBY values are for rewards and landmarks on Simtropolis in their guides, but since they're forum posts I can't link them.

Vlad, that grid layout sounds interesting too. I think the key to good traffic management is to get a highway sorted and try to funnel your avenues on to that, and funnel your roads to the avenues. If you have say, a long grid of R between two avenues then don't let your Rs choose which avenue to go to, force them. Kinda like this:

Code:

====================
  ||           ||
  ||-----B-----||
  ||           ||
  ||-----B-----||
  ||           ||
The B is a perfect slot for a bus stop and it does the blocking of a straight route through. Those avenues lead to the horizontal highway. Your Rs have to use the highway to get anywhere like that, and can go horizontal across your city on roads. You can repeat the pattern at the opposite side, but be careful with letting too many avenues go under the highway or the sims will just use them instead! That's how I set mine up in the 500k city I posted, but you can't really see it in that screenshot.

Anyway, I can see why you don't like grids, they limit creativity too much. But maybe such a transport system would work with diagonal roads and such too.
Tagit
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What population level should i wait to get to until i raise tax for the cheap industries so i can get nice HI tech ones. Theres a high demand but my population is a tiny 17k. should i wait till like 100k population and then raise taxes on dirty industries?
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Start by building some high tech industry well away from the dirty, and gradually increase tax on dirty and demolish sections of the dirty. Manufacturing is usually okay. The process can be expensive, so make sure you have a steady income. When your income is nice is the best time to start.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads