SimCity 4000 - high tech industry? Watch

Tagit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If i try and focus on hi tech industry, when i zone new R areas due to demand the starting education level for that new area will be crap and so they would want unskilled job so that causes the dirty industries to come back though?

Does anyone here have any screenshots of the biggest (stock) commercial skyscrapers available in the game?
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Really noobish question: HOw exactly do you get the passenger and freight trains working? I've got a pretty vibrant city (only 50k but lots of hitech and $$$Co and still more residential demand) but want to link my manufactuing sites to the port and also get my sims to stop using the roads.

So far, I've built a network of tracks but cant figure out where to place the stations to make them viable. I see lots of sims walking past them but ignoring them, but they still complain about the commute times.
Tagit
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Put it on the traffic view so you can see where congestion is, then just place bus stop/train stations there. Thats my guess, i don't know what the effective tile radius is of a train station is though.
username51312
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
also try to install last patch
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Put tolls on really congested roads and then willy nilly so they will think about going on the rail
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by wizard710)
Put tolls on really congested roads and then willy nilly so they will think about going on the rail
It doesn't alleviate traffic problems, in fact, it actually decreases the capacity of the road. The traffic will merely use the next quickest route - usually some poxy backstreet.
[EDIT] I've used toll booths to good effect on the bridge crossings on my current city to just rake in extra revenue. The roads are at nowhere near capacity, so it's not really affecting traffic flow at all.
username51312
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you can try using this mod it worked for me
makes sims much clever and they find better ways to travel
you can always delete it if you will not like it
at my P4 3Ghz Cpu load changed from 50 to 70%
extract into C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Plugins

The Traffic Sumulator Mod

The traffic simulator mod adjusts the configuration of the engine that finds your sims jobs in your simulated city, and drives one of the primary forces behind city development. The mod comes in two flavours: BETTER and PERFECT. The better version adjusts the pathfinding heuristic from 0.09 to 0.021. This adjustment allows the simulator to find fairly accurate paths, with only slightly increased CPU usage. The perfect version adjusts the pathfinding heuristic from 0.09 to 0.004. This adjustment allows the simulator to find extremely accurate and broadly searched paths, but at the cost of higher CPU usage. Depending on the size of your city, CPU usage may stay the same as normal (50,000 sims), or increase many many times normal (2,000,000 sims). The traffic simulator mod also adjusts several other properties to improve the traffic simulators functionality.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I might give that a go later actually, having a bit of trouble with traffic in my biggest city and residential buildings are being abandoned due to long commutes
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I turn all my streets into roads to alleviate traffic. I find that bus stops are just a pain and never seem to work, which confuses me. I don't entirely know how they work - i put them in congested areas and then nobody uses them, even with the City Ordinances.
ShadowSlayer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Can someone help me on how to make money in the game please, am useless at it, all i can do it use all the loans and use this crap money cheat.

i got a good chain of 4 cities but the money is really bad, please help someone?
Cortez
Rep:
?
Put your taxes up to increase your income.

To decrease expenses you should fund schools / hospitals / airports / seaports effectively. Get the question mark tool thing and click on your hospital ... if it says number of patients 100 .. capacity 1000 then you are over funding and you can lower it so the capacity is closer to 100. Same with schools etc.

Don't have loads of power plants or water pumps if you don't need it all, they cost a fair bit to run each month. Or you could try and get neighbour deals and sell off the extra power/water you don't need.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
About airports and seaports, you can lower the funding for these, but not the same way as lowering funding for other buildings. To lower for these, you have to go into your budget area and lower the transport spending for the airport or seaport. You can save quite a bit of money doing this. What it does is lower the capacity of the airport or seaport. Adjust it to suit your city's requirements.
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i hate airports. I built one, and was told that they didn't want one. then i got asked to increase funding and upgrade it all the way to a large airpor because it was too small to cope with the use it was getting, so i did this. At this point its efficiency went down to 0 and i was wasting 2,250 a month on it. So i destroyed it and made parks and planted trees. and nobody even cared.

Ports on the other hand work really well and I have 3 in my massive city.
Cortez
Rep:
?
I built a huge international airport and it's capacity used is getting close to 30k

In my second city I have two seaports - one on each side of the river - both next to industrial zones.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Strange. I've never had a problem like that with an airport. Something must have happened when you upgraded yours concerning accessibility that made it unusable. The demand for my airport always seems to increase as I build more commercial, and only drop when my commercial population drops. An airport is best placed in a commercial area, but away from residential.

Sea ports, I hate those, usually hard to place if your river is diagonal.

I can never get monorails or rail to work.
omicronlyrae
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
rails fail. subways can work.
the thing was the airport was in the middle of the commercial district with a road surrounding it completely, and yet it wasn't being used - hence i destroyed it.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I always have good luck with subways and bus stops, so I use those lots.

No idea what could have happened with your airport, maybe game glitch. Did you rebuild it somewhere else? It's harmful to commercial to not have one at all.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
Strange. I've never had a problem like that with an airport. Something must have happened when you upgraded yours concerning accessibility that made it unusable. The demand for my airport always seems to increase as I build more commercial, and only drop when my commercial population drops. An airport is best placed in a commercial area, but away from residential.

Sea ports, I hate those, usually hard to place if your river is diagonal.

I can never get monorails or rail to work.
Monorail is a waste of monies. Rail can work, I've got a fairly efficient freight network on my big city at the moment.

Subways are very effective, but costly to implement. If you can do it, use EL rail unless it's inconvenient.

Airports are a nightmare for crime though... I surrounded an international airport with deluxe police stations once, and there was still serious crime :mad: I've downloaded a cool mod that allows you to create a massive modular regional airport that has the same effect as an international airport in a city, over the whole region.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
I always have good luck with subways and bus stops, so I use those lots.

No idea what could have happened with your airport, maybe game glitch. Did you rebuild it somewhere else? It's harmful to commercial to not have one at all.
Best mod ever for subways/bus stops - http://www.simtropolis.com/modding/i...details&id=251
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Monorail is a waste of monies. Rail can work, I've got a fairly efficient freight network on my big city at the moment.

Subways are very effective, but costly to implement. If you can do it, use EL rail unless it's inconvenient.

Airports are a nightmare for crime though... I surrounded an international airport with deluxe police stations once, and there was still serious crime :mad: I've downloaded a cool mod that allows you to create a massive modular regional airport that has the same effect as an international airport in a city, over the whole region.
I don't much like laying rail above ground to be honest. It takes up precious space, that's why I like to lay a good subway network. Sure it's expensive but the extra land space saved above ground can bring in extra money.

That airport mod sounds very nice. As does the other one which you linked to. I have downloaded bus stop mods before that can be placed on the road, but the mod you linked seems better. Always bugs me how a bus stop takes up the same space as a 1x1 building, when in reality it doesn't.

Unfortunately I have very little time to play SC4 these days; getting ready for the move to uni and stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads