The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE 2016/2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kia29
A document on the Oxford website states the following order of importance when making decisions on whether to interview:
- High: GCSEs, TSA score, A2 predictions
- Medium: UCAS reference
- Low: AS module grades, personal statement

Since your GCSEs are so good, it is likely it more than makes up for low AS level grades, but not sure about the A2 predictions.

98% of successful candidates last year had maths, compared to 48% in econ. They may ask why you dropped it in interview but I doubt it would be an issue.

Source is here, a really interesting read:
http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images%5Ccourse_statistics_2016.pdf

Its weird how they give greater importance to GCSEs than AS grades
Reply 21
Original post by patrickwahins
Its weird how they give greater importance to GCSEs than AS grades

I thought that too. I can understand this year the focus being shifted to GCSEs because many won't be doing AS exams, but for last year (with all old style AS levels) it is a bit odd.
Original post by kia29
A document on the Oxford website states the following order of importance when making decisions on whether to interview:
- High: GCSEs, TSA score, A2 predictions
- Medium: UCAS reference
- Low: AS module grades, personal statement

Since your GCSEs are so good, it is likely it more than makes up for low AS level grades, but not sure about the A2 predictions.

95% of successful candidates last year had maths, compared to 48% in econ. They may ask why you dropped it in interview but I doubt it would be an issue.

Source is here, a really interesting read:
http://www.ppe.ox.ac.uk/images%5Ccourse_statistics_2016.pdf

Ahh okay, noted. Thanks for the response!!
Original post by RK7000
Anyone here done the IB?
If yes, then what were your predicted grades?

Hi there! I'm doing IB November 2016 in New Zealand. :smile: Currently predicted 45... Here's to hoping my marks don't fluctuate in finals. *prays*My subjects are:
English A Literature HL
Chinese B HL
Maths SL (anticipated)
History (Asia/Oceania) HL
Economics HL
Biology SL

TSA score hovering around 70.
Reply 24
Swedish student applying for PPE at Corpus Christi!

I obviously don't have GCSEs or A-levels, but within the Swedish system I've got a 19.6/20 (A's in all courses except P.E. where medical concerns meant I couldn't attend the physical classes. I'd say it would be equivalent to A*A*A* or maybe A*A*A). I did behavioural sciences so I've read a variety of courses within psych, phil, civics, history and sociology, as well as three languages, maths, natural science and one course in java programming.

So far I've only done one old TSA (The 2011 one), and got a 70.5.

Really pleased with my PS. Not sure about the reference since that's not a thing we do in Sweden, so I'm not sure what it should look like, but I'm sure it's alright!
Does anyone know the proportion of international to domestic applicants out of interest?
Reply 26
Original post by patrickwahins
Does anyone know the proportion of international to domestic applicants out of interest?

In 2015, there were 735 UK applicants, 386 EU applicants and 570 Non-EU applicants.

Source: https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/AcceptanceRate?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowTabs=y&%3AshowVizHome=no

Other years' statistics, acceptance rates etc. are all on there :smile:
Original post by kia29
In 2015, there were 735 UK applicants, 386 EU applicants and 570 Non-EU applicants.

Source: https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/AcceptanceRate?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowTabs=y&%3AshowVizHome=no

Other years' statistics, acceptance rates etc. are all on there :smile:

That's really interesting. Thanks.
Reply 28
Hi, where did everyone else apply and what were your predicted grades
Reply 29
Applying for Lady Margret Hall.

GCSEs: 10A* & 2A
AS: AAAABB
A2 Prediction: A*A*A*AA

Have done a lot of revision for section one the TSA but read somewhere that after a few hours you don't really improve, so I'm putting more effort into the essay practice now :smile:.
Someone posted this on the TSA thread and its really interesting:
http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/ppe2014/

"Candidates that who score well in the TSA (above 63.70 this year) and had good exam results and references were likely to be asked for interview. Candidates who scored between 61.8 and 63.7 may have been invited for interview. Candidates scoring below 61.8 will only have been invited for interview with special consideration of other factors." So admissions is standardised across colleges and they dont place different weight on the TSA in terms of invitation to interview. And you needed above 28 to be considered and above 30 to have a decent chance in that year.
GCSEs: 7A* & 3A
AS: AAAA (maths, english lit, history, gov + politics)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A* (english lit, history, g+p)
College: Wadham

Am I massively disadvantaged because I dropped maths, despite getting an A at AS?
Original post by fionaaaaaaaaaaa
GCSEs: 7A* & 3A
AS: AAAA (maths, english lit, history, gov + politics)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A* (english lit, history, g+p)
College: Wadham

Am I massively disadvantaged because I dropped maths, despite getting an A at AS?

If it doesnt hinder your peformance on the TSA then I dont think it will.
Original post by GCSE student 1
Anyone had any offers yet? Lol ahah

Yeah got warwick PPE A* A A
Original post by will_cash
Yeah got warwick PPE A* A A

when did you send your application? Do you have any other offers?
Original post by Lupus360
when did you send your application? Do you have any other offers?

Can't remember when I sent my application, must have been about 4 weeks ago. No other offers yet.
Reply 36
Original post by will_cash
Can't remember when I sent my application, must have been about 4 weeks ago. No other offers yet.

What were your grades if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by sosob
What were your grades if you don't mind me asking?

GCSEs I got 10 A*s and 1 A, predicted A2 A* A* A* A*, got an A in AS maths.
Did anyone get shortlisted for interview yet? and I was told that if i actually go to the college for interview, that might increase my chance of getting accepted, as i might have more interviews at other colleges. is that true?
Reply 39
Original post by RK7000
Anyone here done the IB?
If yes, then what were your predicted grades?

Yeah, I'm doing the IB. HL = 777

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending