Will I make friends?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not living in halls so I'm worried I'm not going to make many friends, all the people on my course seem to have formed little groups because they met each other in their accommodation and I'm worried it'll stay that way. I've tried talking to others but they don't really interact very much with me, will this change?

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will, gradually. Did you join any clubs or societies during Freshers? Is there any group work on your course? Does your uni have any social events specifically for those who are not in halls? Will you participate in any sports?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you'll make friends. Talk to someone who's alone and buddy up. There must be someone.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I was in the same position as you last year. Nearly all the people on my course were in halls and I was in a house share with 6 others. Luckily I got on with the majority of them. Just be friendly and talk to everyone on the course, if you dont make friends then you are sure to find friends elsewhere... also I knew people in halls who hated their flat mates so maybe it's not all bad not staying in halls. Just be positive and friendly you are sure to make friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyy21)
    I'm not living in halls so I'm worried I'm not going to make many friends, all the people on my course seem to have formed little groups because they met each other in their accommodation and I'm worried it'll stay that way. I've tried talking to others but they don't really interact very much with me, will this change?
    Lucy, do you go Anglia Ruskin?

ReputationRep:
    Societies and group joining will change this as you'd have similar thing in common

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello ,

This is a completely common feeling to experience when starting university and not living in halls. However, it's early days and people are still in the 'settling period' and a bit defensive to making friends - not everyone, but a minority!

Just keep at it and people will be friendlier as they settle in. You could also try joining societies with interests that you enjoy and see if you can expand the circle of people you met to there.

Good luck

Societies, coursemates and making an effort at being sociable. Keep at it.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.