Cardiology PhD help...

    • Thread Starter

    Okay I'm a little confused by my potential employment future. I have an undergraduate degree in exercise science, a masters in cardiovascular health and rehabilitation.

    I'm currently looking into a PhD in either cardiovascular science/physiology/ medicine - (three separate phds)

    Now from what I've found I would be known as a acidemic cardiologist (which is ideally my goal to work within research) but my question is, would this translate to industry as a standard cardiologist? And if so which path would be ideally suited for both, physiology, science or medicine ?

    A 'cardiologist' is a medical doctor. To be any form of 'cardiologist' you need to go to medical school, do your foundation years, core medical years then specialise in cardiology.

    Doing a PhD in cardiology would probably make you some variety of cardiac physiologist.

    You definitely shouldn't be describing yourself as a cardiologist if you're not medically qualified.

    Posted from TSR Mobile

    I'm intrigued what an 'industry cardiologist' would look like, but no it wouldn't be you.

    Doing any of those PhDs could lead to a career in research (in fact the distinctions you're drawing seem pretty arbitrary - what the PhD actually is is more important than trying to push it into some category).
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.