Turn on thread page Beta

Charity worker 'beaten and left for dead on commuter train watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsmann)
    The one we have know, prison.

That's why the law exists to stop personal emotions getting in the way. If I worked for 10 years and bought an incredibly expensive house and someone just put a bomb in it and I had no insurance I might feel killing them, but that wouldn't be justified just because I'd felt angry at that moment.

I just find it silly to condone revenge when the issue has absolutely nothing to do with anyone we know. You might see it differently if you were a victim but then you're not thinking rationally.

your exmaple aer hilarious, where do u get them from?? lol

ReputationRep:
    The one we have know, prison.
    And why is that automatically so great? The prison system is horribly flawed, even based on financing alone. If you'd sacrifice millions of pounds of our country's money to give that psychopath a nice, cushty life, then I personally find that far more "disgusting" than the death penalty in this case.

ReputationRep:
    your exmaple aer hilarious, where do u get them from?? lol
    Myself

And why is that automatically so great? The prison system is horribly flawed, even based on financing alone. If you'd sacrifice millions of pounds of our country's money to give that psychopath a nice, cushty life, then I personally find that far more disgusting than the death penalty in this case.
    If the system is flawed go fix it. Don't put someone to death because you're too lazy to get it fixed. Their lives aren't going to be nice. Spending your entire life in prison with no social life and no way to realise your ambitions is pretty horrible and I'd probably just want to die. And it's pretty laughable that anyone thinks they're going to be happy in prison. I think it's a lot more disgusting to prioritise saving a bit of money (which probably won't make any difference to your life anyway) over keeping someone alive.

ReputationRep:
    your hilarious...not what i expected from what i heard about you

ReputationRep:
    Myself

If the system is flawed go fix it. Don't put someone to death because you're too lazy to get it fixed. Their lives aren't going to be nice. Spending your entire life in prison with no social life and no way to realise your ambitions is pretty horrible and I'd probably just want to die. And it's pretty laughable that anyone thinks they're going to be happy in prison. I think it's a lot more disgusting to prioritise saving a bit of money (which probably won't make any difference to your life anyway) over keeping someone alive.
    Obviously I can't fix it. I don't expect the death penalty to actually be implicated in this situation, nor does anyone else who made the comment. Obviously it's not going to be used because it doesn't exist here any more.

Being lazy is nothing to do with it, and it's not 'a bit of money', it's an awful lot of money per person. If they're going to want to die anyway, what's the difference? Besides, you can hardly compare yourself to someone in such an adverse mental state, I very much doubt that they're going to be upset that they can't achieve whatever career ambitions they (probably don't) have. If they're clearly a psychopath with no remorse and there is no doubt as to their guilt then why should they continue to have a place in this, or any, society? Like it or not, money is a pretty big deal, and the way prisons are these days we're talking a small fortune to fund the rest of their lives.

At the end of the day, this is hypothetical because the death penalty doesn't exist, so don't try and make it out to be something to do with me being lazy :rolleyes: I'm giving my opinion on how a criminal should be dealt with - period. I don't run the country so ultimately it's going to make zero difference what I think.

ReputationRep:
    your hilarious...not what i expected from what i heard about you
    I'm not surprised given your sources... what did you hear about me?

If they're going to want to die anyway, what's the difference?
    I was talking about me if I were in that situation, not them. Even if they wanted to, it would be their decision and not the judge's.

f they're clearly a psychopath with no remorse and there is no doubt as to their guilt then why should they continue to have a place in this, or any, society?
    IIRC psychopaths are hardly of a suitable mind to think properly. God have a bit of sympathy for people... no one thinks "I know I'm going to be a psychopath when I'm older and kill people," they should have been in a mental institute. They can't help it. If they were "looked after" they wouldn't have harmed anyone. Is it their fault no one noticed they were odd before they went over the edge? (Obviously I'm talking about a hypothetical situation)

I was just saying if you think the death penalty should be given just because the alternative is flawed, which is what you suggested in your first post, do something about the alternative rather than choosing the easy way out.

Oh and if I'm right the majority of UK citizens don't want the death penalty so obviously they're willing to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not surprised given your sources... what did you hear about me?.

oh ...just stuff

ReputationRep:
    IIRC psychopaths are hardly of a suitable mind to think properly. God have a bit of sympathy for people... no one thinks "I know I'm going to be a psychopath when I'm older and kill people," they should have been in a mental institute. They can't help it. If they were "looked after" they wouldn't have harmed anyone. Is it their fault no one noticed they were odd before they went over the edge? (Obviously I'm talking about a hypothetical situation)
    So you want me to feel sorry for psychopaths because deep down they feel bad about it?

I was just saying if you think the death penalty should be given just because the alternative is flawed, which is what you suggested in your first post, do something about the alternative rather than choosing the easy way out.
    Ideally, I think prisons should be reverted to their gritty former cells with no luxuries and hard labour for the inmates. If that were the case I'd perhaps be a little more willing to consider imprisonment but it probably wouldn't do an awful lot for the financial issues. Obviously neither option is perfect, hence the disagreement

Oh and if I'm right the majority of UK citizens don't want the death penalty so obviously they're willing to pay for it.
    True, although for some it's at least partly to do with the idea of reasonable doubt - this is one of the rare cases where there is crystal clear guilt.

ReputationRep:
    Psychopaths are weird. They don't know what's going on. To them that might be a completely normal thing. I personally just don't ever want money to get in the way of saving someone's life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunthulhu)
    Stuff like this makes me so cross! I can't believe when people stand and do nothing. I would really like to think that if something like that happened in front of me I'd get up and stand in that *******'s way :mad:

Sure, he'd probably beat me up as well, but maybe then some of the men would do something about it!?

Although, actually, noone can really say how they're going to react in a situation like that; however they would like to. Perhaps self-preservation kicks in.

Either way, hmmmph :mad:
    We all need to look at and support the Criminal Information Agency

The police won't help but they will!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunthulhu)
    Stuff like this makes me so cross! I can't believe when people stand and do nothing. I would really like to think that if something like that happened in front of me I'd get up and stand in that *******'s way :mad:

Sure, he'd probably beat me up as well, but maybe then some of the men would do something about it!?

Although, actually, noone can really say how they're going to react in a situation like that; however they would like to. Perhaps self-preservation kicks in.

Either way, hmmmph :mad:
    We need protection

The cult of the Criminal Information Agency will help us all

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.