Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have decided to apply for adult nursing in 2017 - sept intakes. I was just wondering if anyone highly recommends their own or a different university that I should apply to? In terms of the course; accommodation; placements; etc. I have used the university league tables but I just can't seem to narrow down my choices (which is aggravating as this is the only section on my UCAS that I have left to complete!).
    I would like to apply the unis with higher entry requirements but I also need an insurance choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmartin3)
    I have decided to apply for adult nursing in 2017 - sept intakes. I was just wondering if anyone highly recommends their own or a different university that I should apply to? In terms of the course; accommodation; placements; etc. I have used the university league tables but I just can't seem to narrow down my choices (which is aggravating as this is the only section on my UCAS that I have left to complete!).
    I would like to apply the unis with higher entry requirements but I also need an insurance choice.
    Derby and Nottingham are both pretty high up there?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Derby and Nottingham are both pretty high up there?!?
    Definitely applying to UoN because there's a huge hospital on site, I am yet to check Derby out though. Why do you recommend them in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely applying to UoN because there's a huge hospital on site, I am yet to check Derby out though. Why do you recommend them in particular?
    I just know that they are two very highly regarded teaching universities. There are also good links between them. If you don't get in to Nottingham, i seriously would recommend you to consider Derby as a back up. Plus i am from there, so i am biased. We also are a friendly bunch, although i didn't do healthcare degree myself!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I have moved your thread into the Nursing and Midwifery area.

I would really urge you against deciding your university based on league tables or recommendations from others.

There are so many factors to consider that only you can decide on, such as whether you want to live in that city, how long the placements are, whether placements are mixed in with theory, how much clinical simulation there is, how big the area is that you can be expected to travel to for placements, how much you will learn about the other branches of nursing, whether there is an elective placement, whether there is opportunity to study abroad, assessment methods etc. Obviously this is not an exhaustive list, but my point is that there are many factors that a league table will not tell you, and it really is up to you to research and work out which universities suit you best.*

You still have plenty of time before you would need to submit an application so make sure you make the right choices, visit these universities and don't rush.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I just know that they are two very highly regarded teaching universities. There are also good links between them. If you don't get in to Nottingham, i seriously would recommend you to consider Derby as a back up. Plus i am from there, so i am biased. We also are a friendly bunch, although i didn't do healthcare degree myself!
    Ahh okay well I'll definitely look into Derby, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    I have moved your thread into the Nursing and Midwifery area.

I would really urge you against deciding your university based on league tables or recommendations from others.

There are so many factors to consider that only you can decide on, such as whether you want to live in that city, how long the placements are, whether placements are mixed in with theory, how much clinical simulation there is, how big the area is that you can be expected to travel to for placements, how much you will learn about the other branches of nursing, whether there is an elective placement, whether there is opportunity to study abroad, assessment methods etc. Obviously this is not an exhaustive list, but my point is that there are many factors that a league table will not tell you, and it really is up to you to research and work out which universities suit you best.*

You still have plenty of time before you would need to submit an application so make sure you make the right choices, visit these universities and don't rush.*
    Thank you for the advice. I haven't solely based my options on the league tables I just wanted to see where each university was in terms of 'rank' I guess. I've been to open days for York, Cardiff and Nottingham but for me it's impractical to go to anymore right. Also I personally do find it interesting to hear what others think of their own university and the nursing department. For example, I heard about Oxford Brookes University through a friend as she was recommending it highly, and that is one of my 5 choices.

ReputationRep:
    League tables are irrelevant , the presence of teaching hospitals on the patch can actually lead to a poorer learning experience for Student Nurses and a less skilled RN cadre ( hot and cold running registrars )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.