The Student Room Group

Finding my course INTENSE

Okay so Im studying pharmacy, I have to say it's been 2 days and I find it really intense and fast-pace. A lot of the learning basis is 'do it yourself' which I suppose is alright but not in my weaker subjects! There's a lot of maths involved and I didnt do maths A levels, and therefore am struggling. There's also so much online assignments to do and exams to prepare for with a pass rate of 50% for first year. Im just worried I chose the wrong course, I like science but this just seems too much for me!
Original post by aladdin818
Okay so Im studying pharmacy, I have to say it's been 2 days and I find it really intense and fast-pace. A lot of the learning basis is 'do it yourself' which I suppose is alright but not in my weaker subjects! There's a lot of maths involved and I didnt do maths A levels, and therefore am struggling. There's also so much online assignments to do and exams to prepare for with a pass rate of 50% for first year. Im just worried I chose the wrong course, I like science but this just seems too much for me!

Is it the work (i.e. content) that you're struggling with or the workload (i.e. the quantity)?

The first few weeks are usually overwhelming because it's always a step up from A levels, but once you settle into the pace of the course, you'll be fine. I'd say give it a few weeks and review how you're getting on.
Original post by aladdin818

Unfortunately, nothing to say except pharmacy is like that and with time you will get used to it (very likely that you will if you love it). University is all about independent learning and looking after yourself (body and mind) but I've also noticed there is a lot of support around. Fish around, usually there are maths support classes to help with the maths, study mentors to help with the planning and organisation, books in the library to help with modules, talk to your lecturers (!!!) go see them, it really does help! Break the work down and do little each day. Get into a habit of scanning over lecture slides/notes daily. Once the adjustment period is over you'll start to feel better, as well as when you get used to HE level of work. Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending