Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Want to maximize my chances of getting into a top University, what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure if this is the right place to be posting this, so sorry in advance.

So I've suffered pretty bad depression and anxiety for the last few months, and have just gone into year 12. I'm only doing 3 A-Levels because of this, but want to do more to improve my chances of getting into a top Uni. I've been told that if it gets better, I could take another A-Level later in the year, but start late and do extra work outside of school to catch up. Also, the school is willing to let me take something to AS starting next year.

One of the teachers at sixth form has also mentioned EPQs, which I am not familiar with, but am interested in. Anyone know if these are respected at Uni?

As for work experience and other stuff, I have already been able to get a place at an investment bank in London City for year 13, and I will be tutoring GCSE physics students every week. Also, I will be helping promote the school at careers fairs and such, and will hopefully be working closely with a senior member of staff to help run day to day stuff in the school office.

Does this sound like a good plan of action for helping me get into a top University? Absolute best case scenario I'd like to study PPE at Oxford, but I know that's unlikely and much more easily said than done. I'm aiming at A*AA in History, Maths, and Physics.

Cheers for reading!

ReputationRep:
    There's such a misconception that doing more A-levels will improve your chances of getting university offers.

It doesn't.

Universities will only consider three A-levels. You will not get any extra credit for having done more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    There's such a misconception that doing more A-levels will improve your chances of getting university offers.

It doesn't.

Universities will only consider three A-levels. You will not get any extra credit for having done more.
    So should I focus on extracurricular activities and other qualifications and keep on doing only three A-Levels? I've heard Unis like EPQs because they show you can independently research and produce a report on a topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chazzzo)
    Not really sure if this is the right place to be posting this, so sorry in advance.

So I've suffered pretty bad depression and anxiety for the last few months, and have just gone into year 12. I'm only doing 3 A-Levels because of this, but want to do more to improve my chances of getting into a top Uni. I've been told that if it gets better, I could take another A-Level later in the year, but start late and do extra work outside of school to catch up. Also, the school is willing to let me take something to AS starting next year.

One of the teachers at sixth form has also mentioned EPQs, which I am not familiar with, but am interested in. Anyone know if these are respected at Uni?

As for work experience and other stuff, I have already been able to get a place at an investment bank in London City for year 13, and I will be tutoring GCSE physics students every week. Also, I will be helping promote the school at careers fairs and such, and will hopefully be working closely with a senior member of staff to help run day to day stuff in the school office.

Does this sound like a good plan of action for helping me get into a top University? Absolute best case scenario I'd like to study PPE at Oxford, but I know that's unlikely and much more easily said than done. I'm aiming at A*AA in History, Maths, and Physics.

Cheers for reading!
    If you want to do PPE then EPQ could be really useful in demonstrating an interest and ability in those subjects given you aren't studying any of them at A level.

Your super curriculars - reading outside your curriculum and finding out about each of phil, pol and econ in your own time will boost your application more than additional A levels.

ReputationRep:
    'Top Uni'. Why?

It wont guarantee you an amazing career, or lifelong happiness.

What you get out of life depends on you, not where you went to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    'Top Uni'. Why?

It wont guarantee you an amazing career, or lifelong happiness.

What you get out of life depends on you, not where you went to Uni.
    Top uni helps alot for certain careers, which may significantly contribute to happiness.

OP 4 A levels won't help you, 3 or 4 makes no difference. What matters is the grades you get in them.

ReputationRep:
    Keep with your 3 A-levels and do not worry about not doing 4 - your mental health is the most important thing, as if you work too hard you will struggle.
    Consider doing the EPQ on a topic related to your degree options - it is a formal qualification that you can put on your UCAS form, but will hopefully be interesting for you and help you to confirm more what degree you want to take.

As PQ said, you should definitely try and do extra reading in relevant subjects, especially if you want to apply to Oxford.

However, the most important key to success at A-level is trying to keep focus and keep your mental health okay. They are hard as it is, and even harder when you have no motivation. Try to relax on weekends, keep up with any hobbies, talk to friends, and just have some 'you-time' often.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.