Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I might have anxiety and I need help and advice, thanks

    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I am new to this site. So I am 18, turning 19 soon and I've had anxiety issues for a lot of my life. I usually thought it was just me worrying a lot but I've started to get scared that it might be anxiety but idk. I'm pretty sure it wasn't caused by anything particular, it’s something I've just always had. I've looked at the symptoms from many, many websites and I feel I possess a lot of the mental symptoms but not many physical symptoms. Tiredness, being dizzy, struggling to fall asleep (falling asleep in 30 minutes is a good night), feeling detached, poor memory, extremely self-conscious, fatigued, rumination, constantly feeling other people are noticing my anxiety and regularly seeing and expecting the worst in myself and other things are most of the mental symptoms. I think I only have a few physical symptoms which are a shortness of breath, a dry mouth and a slight twitch. I haven’t talked to anyone about this, and I would really prefer to keep it like that unless it’s a doctor.

    I haven’t seen a doctor about this and I really want to but I can't seem to get myself to do it. I don't really know why but I find it really embarrassing, maybe because I will look like a fool if I don't have a problem or I would look like a fool even if I did. I don't even know if I can explain how I'm feeling in person properly and I might end up causing a doctor to give me a misdiagnosis or not be taken seriously because I was unable to explain my condition properly. I don't even really know the process because I don't go to the doctors much. At the moment, I only book appointments for the dentist and opticians myself, I haven’t needed to go anywhere else for anything recently. Last time I went to the GP was when I was 15 due to a minor injury and my parents did all the booking and everything. But, I can't tell my parents about my anxiety issues, without any sort of exaggeration, I can almost guarantee that they would actually faint. They are quite traditional and don't understand things easily and I'm almost certain that they wouldn't be able to help me at all in this specific situation. But back to the point of seeing a doctor, I don't even know if I'm supposed to see a GP or if there’s someone else I'm supposed to see first for anxiety. I don't even know if I can see a GP without them informing my parents. I feel incredibly stupid about all of this.

    On one hand, I obviously would prefer to find out I don't have anxiety or anything else of its sort, but that would leave me so confused about my feelings and struggles since I was at least 12 and why I've had them. I don't really know what to do so I want to see if anyone has any advice for me. I started writing this a couple months ago but I kept stalling because I was scared I wouldn't be taken seriously wherever I ended up posting this, but now I'm nearly 19 and I've realised that if I wanted help, I'd need it before I turn 19 so I can receive NHS benefits and discounts for being under 19 and still in education as I don't have a job at the moment and wouldn't be able to pay for much nor do I want to use my parents' money.

    sorry if this offends anyone and thanks for any advice.

    Go and see a GP, your 18 years old so anything discussed with the doctor is completely confidential and your parents will not have to consent or find out if you don't want them too. But definetly go and see the GP hopefully he/she will be able to help you.

    Hope this doesn't come across as condescension. If you have real concerns you have a legit issue, seek professional help. Otherwise, well basically everyone is messed up by hormones messing up there brain chemistry until it tapers off around 25. Growing pains, your body is all messed up. One more time, you're messed up, most people from teems to mid 20's are messed up. It's normal. Ride the roller-coaster.

    I understand that what you're going through must be difficult. Because of your age, it's likely that you might be going through some hormonal changes, which basically mess about with your brain and the way you're feeling, as the above poster pointed out. But, if this is affecting your day to day life, the best option for you is to see your GP - they are the only one who can properly assess what's wrong with you. You will never be looked upon as a fool for talking about your GP about this, and mental health isn't the taboo it once used the be. It's okay to talk about it.

    I hope you find the answers you're looking for, and I hope you start to feel better soon. Opening up about it is the first step
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.