Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Apply to uni while at uni

ReputationRep:
    Guys I really need some advice!
    So I'm doing law at uni but I want to change to international relations and I'm thinking about applying again to other universities for 2017 entry. I know I must not omit the fact I'm currently at uni and I will mention it in in my PS (any advice on that?), I have the high school grade these Unis I'd like to apply to require but I need a better IELTS score so I'm going to retake it shall I receive any offer. This being said, I will send them my school transcript but what about the IELTS? I mean they'll assume I already sit the test but shall I mention I'm going to retake it? Also, the current uni needs to know or can I avoid telling them until I know if I am actually going somewhere else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilviaEmma)
    Guys I really need some advice!
    So I'm doing law at uni but I want to change to international relations and I'm thinking about applying again to other universities for 2017 entry. I know I must not omit the fact I'm currently at uni and I will mention it in in my PS (any advice on that?), I have the high school grade these Unis I'd like to apply to require but I need a better IELTS score so I'm going to retake it shall I receive any offer. This being said, I will send them my school transcript but what about the IELTS? I mean they'll assume I already sit the test but shall I mention I'm going to retake it? Also, the current uni needs to know or can I avoid telling them until I know if I am actually going somewhere else?
    For IELTS you need to declare your current score but also list an IELTS qualification for the dates you're planning to resit.

Your current university don't NEED to know in some cases but you must list your current university and course in your education section and it might be helpful to approach someone at your current university about wanting to change to IR. Your new university might insist that you provide a reference from your current university and usually if you speak to your tutor or another lecturer that you like about things like this they'll be happy to help with your application. It's possible that your current university might have additional english language support available for free that could help you improve your IELTS and they might be able to arrange for you to switch to an IR degree where you currently study (which would mean you have a better back up plan if you don't get a transfer).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm going to speak to someone at my uni about changing course tomorrow, but I don't know if I will like the course here as it is not international relations but international politics, I like the modules and the structure but I also know that I could get into a better uni for this course. About the IELTS, I scored 7.5 overall which is a great result, I got 7 in speaking, 8 in reading & writing and listening then I got 6 in the writing of the two texts( I focused too much on one text, as a result the other was too short), so I know I will get a great score if I resto the exam. I'm afraid that if these Unis see the previous writing result they'll be put off about making an offer.

(Original post by PQ)
    For IELTS you need to declare your current score but also list an IELTS qualification for the dates you're planning to resit.

Your current university don't NEED to know in some cases but you must list your current university and course in your education section and it might be helpful to approach someone at your current university about wanting to change to IR. Your new university might insist that you provide a reference from your current university and usually if you speak to your tutor or another lecturer that you like about things like this they'll be happy to help with your application. It's possible that your current university might have additional english language support available for free that could help you improve your IELTS and they might be able to arrange for you to switch to an IR degree where you currently study (which would mean you have a better back up plan if you don't get a transfer).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I'm going to speak to someone at my uni about changing course tomorrow, but I don't know if I will like the course here as it is not international relations but international politics, I like the modules and the structure but I also know that I could get into a better uni for this course. About the IELTS, I scored 7.5 overall which is a great result, I got 7 in speaking, 8 in reading & writing and listening then I got 6 in the writing of the two texts( I focused too much on one text, as a result the other was too short), so I know I will get a great score if I resto the exam. I'm afraid that if these Unis see the previous writing result they'll be put off about making an offer.
    I wouldn't worry about universities ruling you out because of a low score in one component - they'll see that you're resitting and will base any offer conditions on what they want to see in your resit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I hope for! How do I make clear I am re sitting the exam? Is there a section on ucas when I can write this or shall I mention it in my PS?

(Original post by PQ)
    I wouldn't worry about universities ruling you out because of a low score in one component - they'll see that you're resitting and will base any offer conditions on what they want to see in your resit.

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I hope for! How do I make clear I am re sitting the exam? Is there a section on ucas when I can write this or shall I mention it in my PS?
    In your education section list the exam centre you took IELTS at and your existing IELTS qualification for that centre.

Then add your exam centre that you'll resit at with the dates of your resit and add the new IELTS attempt to that.

ReputationRep:
    Ok! Would you mention in in the PS?
    Thank you by the way

(Original post by PQ)
    In your education section list the exam centre you took IELTS at and your existing IELTS qualification for that centre.

Then add your exam centre that you'll resit at with the dates of your resit and add the new IELTS attempt to that.

ReputationRep:
    Ok! Would you mention in in the PS?
    Thank you by the way
    I wouldn't - your PS should be about why you want to study IR and what your personal interests in IR are.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.