Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Sixth Form is wasting my time to study...

ReputationRep:
    Hello. (This is extra info for better analysis. This may take a while) Ever since I entered the phase of philosophy (bear with me) I started to think more, and better. 3 years after it began, I've developed tons of ideologies, one of the most important being intelligence and knowledge. I have decided to do everything as a teen/young adult to gain as much knowledge as I can before my ability to learn decreases (I'm about to turn 18 in December 2016). But here's the problem:

I started Sixth Form last year and have adopted 4 subjects being Mathematics, Economics, Business Studies, and Philosophy and Ethics. Let me just say that I dropped Philosophy and Ethics because it was pure religion and not laterality, logicality, and strategy, etc. After getting my results back a couple months ago, I realized that I HAVE to do much more, my best, so I am. My time spent a day is as follows: 11pm wake up --> study until 6am straight --> free time until 8am --> Sixth Form until 3pm --> sleep until 11pm and repeat (slightly different on weekends but similar). However, I am an insomniac. So here's the problem...

I do more work at HOME than I do at SIXTH FORM, not only that, but I do more than x4 the work. Not only that, but if I had the extra 7 hours that I waste at Sixth Form, I'd have around 7 more hours of studying, or sleeping-- I can stay awake for 20 hours, but I sleep for a long time too, but a day is 16 hours long, this means that I get less sleep ( as I'm unable to fall asleep because I'm not tired ) and so I wake up tired to Sixth Form and pretty much don't learn anything there.
    If I didn't have to go, I would have SO MUCH time to sleep and to study, as efficiently as possible for me.

I am planning on dropping Sixth Form,kind of; I still want to do my exams, but this time, I'm aiming for A*, which is why I need my 7 hours back to achieve that.

I hate it there: The people there don't care, the teachers there don't care either, and the cleanliness, professionality, and information communication they have there is not good enough (for me at least), I expect more, but even after pointing it out, they brushed it off.

I still want to take my exams; I've heard that I can become 'home-schooled' and just come into Sixth Form to do the exams (with an extra fee for every exam paper, which is fine. ("The more knowledge costs, the more priceless it is" is my motto). I can do that because all the teachers do there is read off textbooks, that are REALLY bad quality, mind you: I found over 8 mistakes in my A2 maths book, and even my teacher said that he found problems in them. I have other reasons to not go to Sixth Form, but, not now.

Anyway, what do I have to do? I want to go into University and take on Accounting (Ph.D) and perhaps Criminology and Psychology, but for that, I need good grades, that I'll only achieve by doing the work from textbooks (and other resources of course) at home. Can I do this? Will it affect my chances of getting into Uni? Is that possible to do in the UK?

P.S I'm known for writing walls of texts about everything, so forgive me. I've searched around and haven't found many similar though on this as mine. Thanks for reading this if you have.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly this happened to me an year ago. I didn`t have time to study as the college starts at 9am and ends at 6am, its far and i travel by train which takes over an hour. the teaching there was appalling it was just like you said, the teacher reading from the book. The lessons timetable were so badly organised as the teachers were teaching alot of courses as there was a shortage of teachers (the college does not teach a levels anymore). A normal day for me, wake at 7, get ready and out by 7:30am, get to college by 9am, lessons until 5 pm with 2 hour gap, get home by 6-7pm and feel tired so i would sleep until 10pm and then stay up on the phone watching you-tube videos until 2am as i cant get to sleep easily. This went on for 6 months and i was on 5 hours sleep everyday. Today i go around saying this is what happened to the colleges and thus the reason i failed, they laugh and say they don`t care and wont let me enrol, they say "you choose to study at that place" , and blame it on me that i did not have the capability to do a levels. seriously i really don`t understand why colleges/schools exist, is it for comfort that everything's going to be fine or for social interactions?.yes you can do exams private and enter as an private candidate in the uk, same as someone entering from sixth form, you do need a reference though from any teacher for good unis. i am doing a levels private too this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phychem)
    Exactly this happened to me an year ago. I didn`t have time to study as the college starts at 9am and ends at 6am, its far and i travel by train which takes over an hour. the teaching there was appalling it was just like you said, the teacher reading from the book. The lessons timetable were so badly organised as the teachers were teaching alot of courses as there was a shortage of teachers (the college does not teach a levels anymore). A normal day for me, wake at 7, get ready and out by 7:30am, get to college by 9am, lessons until 5 pm with 2 hour gap, get home by 6-7pm and feel tired so i would sleep until 10pm and then stay up on the phone watching you-tube videos until 2am as i cant get to sleep easily. This went on for 6 months and i was on 5 hours sleep everyday. Today i go around saying this is what happened to the colleges and thus the reason i failed, they laugh and say they don`t care and wont let me enrol, they say "you choose to study at that place" , and blame it on me that i did not have the capability to do a levels. seriously i really don`t understand why colleges/schools exist, is it for comfort that everything's going to be fine or for social interactions?.yes you can do exams private and enter as an private candidate in the uk, same as someone entering from sixth form, you do need a reference though from any teacher for good unis. i am doing a levels private too this year
    hey reverse me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacoblastly)
    Hello. (This is extra info for better analysis. This may take a while) Ever since I entered the phase of philosophy (bear with me) I started to think more, and better. 3 years after it began, I've developed tons of ideologies, one of the most important being intelligence and knowledge. I have decided to do everything as a teen/young adult to gain as much knowledge as I can before my ability to learn decreases (I'm about to turn 18 in December 2016). But here's the problem:

I started Sixth Form last year and have adopted 4 subjects being Mathematics, Economics, Business Studies, and Philosophy and Ethics. Let me just say that I dropped Philosophy and Ethics because it was pure religion and not laterality, logicality, and strategy, etc. After getting my results back a couple months ago, I realized that I HAVE to do much more, my best, so I am. My time spent a day is as follows: 11pm wake up --> study until 6am straight --> free time until 8am --> Sixth Form until 3pm --> sleep until 11pm and repeat (slightly different on weekends but similar). However, I am an insomniac. So here's the problem...

I do more work at HOME than I do at SIXTH FORM, not only that, but I do more than x4 the work. Not only that, but if I had the extra 7 hours that I waste at Sixth Form, I'd have around 7 more hours of studying, or sleeping-- I can stay awake for 20 hours, but I sleep for a long time too, but a day is 16 hours long, this means that I get less sleep ( as I'm unable to fall asleep because I'm not tired ) and so I wake up tired to Sixth Form and pretty much don't learn anything there.
    If I didn't have to go, I would have SO MUCH time to sleep and to study, as efficiently as possible for me.

I am planning on dropping Sixth Form,kind of; I still want to do my exams, but this time, I'm aiming for A*, which is why I need my 7 hours back to achieve that.

I hate it there: The people there don't care, the teachers there don't care either, and the cleanliness, professionality, and information communication they have there is not good enough (for me at least), I expect more, but even after pointing it out, they brushed it off.

I still want to take my exams; I've heard that I can become 'home-schooled' and just come into Sixth Form to do the exams (with an extra fee for every exam paper, which is fine. ("The more knowledge costs, the more priceless it is" is my motto). I can do that because all the teachers do there is read off textbooks, that are REALLY bad quality, mind you: I found over 8 mistakes in my A2 maths book, and even my teacher said that he found problems in them. I have other reasons to not go to Sixth Form, but, not now.

Anyway, what do I have to do? I want to go into University and take on Accounting (Ph.D) and perhaps Criminology and Psychology, but for that, I need good grades, that I'll only achieve by doing the work from textbooks (and other resources of course) at home. Can I do this? Will it affect my chances of getting into Uni? Is that possible to do in the UK?

P.S I'm known for writing walls of texts about everything, so forgive me. I've searched around and haven't found many similar though on this as mine. Thanks for reading this if you have.
    Do you want the fluffy reply, or the real-world reply? I can do either.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.