Sarkozy vows to offer UK exit from Brexit if he wins French poll

ReputationRep:
    https://www.ft.com/content/5763950a-...7-2359a58ac7a5

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...itain-Brussels

Whats your view, if they allow immigration reductions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)

Name:  ftprice.png
Views: 65
Size:  41.3 KB

:cry2:*

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like it could win over some of the middle ground exit voters to get us back in.

Not sure I trust him and Theresa May in the same room.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a shill for the FT?

ReputationRep:
    Alternative link here:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...?client=safari

I'd be intrigued, but sceptical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Name:  ftprice.png
Views: 65
Size:  41.3 KB

:cry2:*
    Clear your browser cookies; usually that works

ReputationRep:
    It's just the "renegotiation" re-heated and served as fresh.

"And if it’s no, then it’s a real no. You’re in or you’re out.”

We had this discussion already and it was a real no.

ReputationRep:
    " I can’t accept losing Europe’s second-largest economy while we are negotiating with Turkey over its EU membership. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Alternative link here:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...?client=safari

I'd be intrigued, but sceptical.
    that link worked fine....

"And he told business leaders in Paris his first job would be to fly to Berlin with a draft of a new EU treaty to secure the support of German chancellor Angela Merkel before travelling to London the following day."

this reminds me of the wartime exploits of Rudolf Hess:

http://www.secretscotland.org.uk/ind...lfHessFlight**

ReputationRep:
    what is the obsession with immigration...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    " I can’t accept losing Europe’s second-largest economy while we are negotiating with Turkey over its EU membership. "

If you read further down he means that they'd end any possibility of Turkish membership

ReputationRep:
    If you read further down he means that they'd end any possibility of Turkish membership
    Extremely unlikely to happen with the ongoing refugee crisis.

(Original post by ckfeister)

He isnt in power.
    The other members wouldnt allow it.
    It fundamentally undermines the single market and treay as is, so they wont allow it.
    The UK would never allow a second referendum, unless there was a massive change in publc opinion. As it exists now most people accpet its a done deal and we are leaving, even if they think a rerun would give a different result.

Sarkozy is just trying to get elected, si its easy for politicians to make promises they never really keep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    It's just the "renegotiation" re-heated and served as fresh.

"And if it’s no, then it’s a real no. You’re in or you’re out.”

We had this discussion already and it was a real no.
    If he is successful ( and I doubt he will be ) an opt out of freedom of movement would be an unprecedented offer which I think a lot of people would reconsider.

I think a lot of soft brexiters ( e.g. Boris ) would be strongly tempted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    He isnt in power.
    The other members wouldnt allow it.
    It fundamentally undermines the single market and treay as is, so they wont allow it.
    The UK would never allow a second referendum, unless there was a massive change in publc opinion. As it exists now most people accpet its a done deal and we are leaving, even if they think a rerun would give a different result.

Sarkozy is just trying to get elected, si its easy for politicians to make promises they never really keep.
    He is relatively popular, more so than Hollande at any rate

If France and Germany both push for it, Eastern Europeans are given greater leeway with refugees abscess EU workers rights are still protected it's potentially doable.

As above, if successful (which I do doubt) it would be an unprecedented game changer.

ReputationRep:
    lmao the horse isn't dead yet?

UK categorically voted to leave the EU political experiment. It wasn't some best 3 out of 5.

ReputationRep:
    If he is successful ( and I doubt he will be ) an opt out of freedom of movement would be an unprecedented offer which I think a lot of people would reconsider.

I think a lot of soft brexiters ( e.g. Boris ) would be strongly tempted.
    Giving all EU countries the ability to suspend free movement at will would effectively mean the abolition of the EU in its present form.

Giving this ability only to Britain would almost certainly not be agreed by the other members.

What is more likely is that we will be presented with some minor, conditional exemptions. Just like the "renegotiation".

If France and Germany both push for it, Eastern Europeans are given greater leeway with refugees abscess EU workers rights are still protected it's potentially doable.

As above, if successful (which I do doubt) it would be an unprecedented game changer.
    He hasnt won the nomination yet.
    To change the treaty requires unanmous consent I believe? Enough countries dont care whether the UK is in or out and will object to the UK geing preferential control on immigration. Its an undermining of the EU.

We are out and unless punlic optinion changed to soemthing like 80/20 thenw e wuldnt consider it.

ReputationRep:
    There is also a major assumption that we voted Leave over immigration.

That might well be true but it is not what the referendum question asked and it is not why I for one voted to Leave.

ReputationRep:
    No no no, he is despised. He will lose the primary ballot in November anyway.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.