LDR: How will i make it work?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So i live in Philippines and my boyfriend lives in India. We've met online (please don't judge) and been talking for a year and everything became official just recently (we had mutual feelings but just afraid to commit cuz of the distance). We badly want to meet each other but that will be not possible for me YET cuz im still a student (graduating). We've talked about him going here and it's a really nice idea since he can afford it but the problem is, if he do come here, i wont be able to be with him all the time for his whole stay (conservative family tho i'm not). Please someone give me advice for this, i really need help.
    PS. i'm 19 and he's 22

ReputationRep:
    First of all, have you had regular video conversations? This is to make sure the guy you fell for is genuine.
    Secondly, if he cannot travel maybe it is worth waiting till you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    First of all, have you had regular video conversations? This is to make sure the guy you fell for is genuine.
    Secondly, if he cannot travel maybe it is worth waiting till you can
    well i'm the one who dont like video calls (im ugly lol) but we text a lot in whatsapp every single day since last year even tho he's pretty busy studying. i can really feel that this man is genuine otherwise i would have stopped it long ago. What can you advice about us meeting? should he come here? or should we meet on neutral ground? Thank you so much...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's the thing. To not video call your potential love interest is to fall into that trap laid by sexual predators everywhere. They charm unwary individuals without showing their face. You may not be aware but India and surrounding countries have problems with rape culture. So if he resists taking a video call from you before arranging to meet you, it's a sign that you have to eventually stop contact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Yeah that's the thing. To not video call your potential love interest is to fall into that trap laid by sexual predators everywhere. They charm unwary individuals without showing their face. You may not be aware but India and surrounding countries have problems with rape culture. So if he resists taking a video call from you before arranging to meet you, it's a sign that you have to eventually stop contact
    Thank you for the warning, really appreciate it. But consider the video thing done, i know who he is and other important stuffs. Any advice on hew we can meet considering my situation (a girl from conservative family)? Thanks a lot..

ReputationRep:
    Its not going to happen. We're not even talking a few hundred miles here, we're talking COUNTRIES.

ReputationRep:
    if you consider yourself ugly, get used to him looking at you in different perspectives (show him your ugliest face et cetera) through video calls because he's going to see you and want to see more of you in person.

otherwise he's going to be disappointed when he does meet you and that's lying, a relationship built on lies won't ever be real.

"we had mutual feelings" well yeah? you are of opposite sex, but, that doesn't mean you're compatible when lies still apply and you haven't broken stuff down.

ReputationRep:
    LDRs rarely work. It's been a year and no video calls? I don't understand how you can love someone when there's never been a physical presence, but that could just be ignorance.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.