Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I just moved into my new university accommodation on tuesday, and I'm going to go and start living there Thursday (tomorrow). I met some of my flatmates while I was there and they seemed very nice. The thing is, I'm really really neevous that I'm not going to be able to make friends with them. I never had any friends during school, and I've always strugfled to make them so I'm really anxious to get things right this time. They all seem really close already (I have moved in late due to last minutes swap arounds with my accommodation) and I'mjust worried i wont be able to fit in. I suppose you could say I'm a bit socially awkward, but from what I've been told by family, my awkwardness tends to come across as me being a bit aloof, which i really dont intend at all. So, i guess the question is, does anyone have any advice? I'd really really like to make friends with them, so any tips would be appreciated.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi daviem, you sound exactly like me one year ago and trust me it gets better.

Focus on making friends at many different places - that way if you feel left out in one place you have other avenues. The most important thing is being friendly when you meet people, when someone comes into a room and you're in there you say hello if it's quiet.You then need to notice how the person reacts - are they open to talking or not? If you think they might be, ask them a basic question - "so where did you say you where from again?" "did you say you were doing physics?".

It takes time to get rid of social awkwardness, but it can happen quickly if you try new things and see what happens. This will mean talking to people who haven't spoken to you, but even if they don't want to talk don't let it get you down.

I have to warn you there are some horrible people on this site who will say some nasty things about our situation, don't take it to heart and don't let them defeat you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dontbeastranger)
    Hi daviem, you sound exactly like me one year ago and trust me it gets better.

Focus on making friends at many different places - that way if you feel left out in one place you have other avenues. The most important thing is being friendly when you meet people, when someone comes into a room and you're in there you say hello if it's quiet.You then need to notice how the person reacts - are they open to talking or not? If you think they might be, ask them a basic question - "so where did you say you where from again?" "did you say you were doing physics?".

It takes time to get rid of social awkwardness, but it can happen quickly if you try new things and see what happens. This will mean talking to people who haven't spoken to you, but even if they don't want to talk don't let it get you down.

I have to warn you there are some horrible people on this site who will say some nasty things about our situation, don't take it to heart and don't let them defeat you.
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying, I have to say i think your advice is really really good. It was very kind of you to offer such helpful insight, and i really do think its helped me feel a lot calmer about moving in properly tomorrow, so really, thanks. I'll definitely do what you've said and hopefully I'll find it easier to get along with everyone else.
    Again, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daviem)
    Hi,
    Thanks for replying, I have to say i think your advice is really really good. It was very kind of you to offer such helpful insight, and i really do think its helped me feel a lot calmer about moving in properly tomorrow, so really, thanks. I'll definitely do what you've said and hopefully I'll find it easier to get along with everyone else.
    Again, thanks
    No problem. I'm on here every so often, You're welcome to PM me if you need any advice, I'm still learning stuff myself but I'll give you any advice I can.

ReputationRep:
    My son is sitting in his room feeling lonely because a lot of his floormates are druggy/clubby types and hes not like that. He has persisted with joining clubs and this evening texted to say he went to a club and he went for a drink with a few of them afterwards - the beginning of a friendship is hopefully there. You have to just persist - lots of people are lonely in the first term - they just don't look like they are. Everyone is reaching out in the first term - don't have too much pride to appear friendly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.