Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    After all the ups and downs, I am in my last year of sixth form and in the process of applying to uni.

    My problem right here is between: choosing a course that I 'sorta' find interesting and that I 'think' will be easier for me to get into uni with OR a course that I have background interest with but little to no experience due to the course I am studying right now.

    I am studying a BTEC course in business (extended diploma) and I am doing really well. I am working towards a triple distinction* and confident in getting it. During the course, I have found it to be interesting and after my cousin, who works as an HR employee, 'kinda' inspired me to pursue a career in business.
    However, now I am going back and forth on whether to pick a degree in computing (most specifically computer science or anything to do with programming [games developments etc]) which is what I intended to do in the first place, prior to failing my first year in A levels.

    I have looked into universities and many of them (specifically located within London) do require related subjects such as IT and maths but have found others outside like Aston university who accept a business btec. For business, all the universities I would apply to (business management course), I feel confident in getting a placement in, mainly due to having already studied business... With computer science or computing in general, I only know little knowledge of, compared to someone who have studied it in college.. I am in fact starting to do intensive research on it like enrolling for online lecture videos for programming (such as HTML5 by google etc).

    Any tips?

    I don't understand why you didn't just do a BTEC Extended Diploma qualification in IT, or even a Diploma in Business and a Diploma in IT. In which you could of came out with D*D*D*D*, and I'm pretty sure you can get into most universities with that. Enough of talking about what you could of done, but what you can do.

    Since you're in year 13, I don't think you have much choice, you can either do as much research as possible to find a University that would accept any BTEC for a computing related degree, or you can choose to do an additional year and gain the qualifications needed.

    I hope it was any help.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Applying to uni

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni

    Graduates celebrate

    How to write a good personal statement

    Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

    Two students working together

    A-Z of universities

    Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

    A student working on a computer

    Personal statement help

    Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student looking down a microscope

    Planning open days

    Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

    Help out other students

    These questions still need an answer

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.