Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

16+ and 18 + oysters for Uni student Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have heard some people saying that I will be able to get the 16+ oyster If I'm in the first year of uni. Can someone tell w how I can do this. Also is it a better deal than getting the 18+ one as I need to take a overground and two underground trains to get to my uni. So would having a 18+ and a 16-25 railcard make it cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...s?intcmp=25258

"Londoners aged 18 on 31 August who are still in full time education can also apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard that allows free bus and tram travel."

Seems like you may indeed be able to get a 16+ oyster. I'd recommend reading up on it properly though. If you can get it then it's definitely a better deal.

"Buy child-rate 7 Day, Monthly or longer period Travelcard and Bus & Tram Passes
    Pay as you go at half adult rate on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and most National Rail services in London"

Edit: why the railcard? You only need an oyster to travel around London

ReputationRep:
    Can I still apply as August 31 has gone but I'm still 18. Thank you for the reply.
    Also it says that the course needs to be level 3 but the courses at university are level 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cr8tive)
    Can I still apply as August 31 has gone but I'm still 18. Thank you for the reply.
    Also it says that the course needs to be level 3 but the courses at university are level 4.
    It would probably be best to call them to ask. Though if it's only level 3 then it's probably aimed at those who turn 18 early on in A2. So most likely you'll need a 18+ oyster. It's still worth getting as it gives you around 30% (I don't remember exactly) discount from the adult fares.

You said that you will be going by the overground and tube, just check what zones you'll be going through so you can buy seasonal tickets for those zones. You don't need separate tickets for the different forms of transportation, it depends entirely on what zones you travel through.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.