Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Disappointed with predicted grades

ReputationRep:
    Okay, So I am currently in year 13 and starting to apply with UCAS for university starting in 2017.

My number one choice is The University of Birmingham to study Law with Criminology. The average entry requirements are AAA, but the policy states if you got an A/A* for EPQ the requirements are AAB.

My AS grades were not the greatest, CCE. I was told today that two of my predicted grades were a B and a C - which sucks.

is it a waste to apply for universities with higher grade requirements, bearing in mind that I am on the new spec of A levels, where AS does not contribute to my final A2 grade.

I feel really bummed about it because i had my heart set on studying Law with criminology, especially at Birmingham, but i am having a difficult time finding the same course with lower grades needed.

also, I have been given feedback on my personal statement and told that it is of high standard. I also had some work experience shadowing a Judge and took part in the bar mock trial competition. will these things help me, or is there really no point.

Is there also any point in trying to talk to my Teachers?

Thanks so much, and sorry that this is so long, I'm freaking out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cereidee)
    Okay, So I am currently in year 13 and starting to apply with UCAS for university starting in 2017.

My number one choice is The University of Birmingham to study Law with Criminology. The average entry requirements are AAA, but the policy states if you got an A/A* for EPQ the requirements are AAB.

My AS grades were not the greatest, CCE. I was told today that two of my predicted grades were a B and a C - which sucks.

is it a waste to apply for universities with higher grade requirements, bearing in mind that I am on the new spec of A levels, where AS does not contribute to my final A2 grade.

I feel really bummed about it because i had my heart set on studying Law with criminology, especially at Birmingham, but i am having a difficult time finding the same course with lower grades needed.

also, I have been given feedback on my personal statement and told that it is of high standard. I also had some work experience shadowing a Judge and took part in the bar mock trial competition. will these things help me, or is there really no point.

Is there also any point in trying to talk to my Teachers?

Thanks so much, and sorry that this is so long, I'm freaking out.
    Predicted grades higher than those you have been given would look unrealistic to admissions tutors from the basis you are starting from at AS, so I very much doubt that your teachers would raise them, and if they did, they would do you no favours. If you got the standard offer, you would still have to meet it, and it's much more painful to have the offer snatched out of your grasp than not to get it in the first place. No amount of work experience will make up for not getting the academic grades, I'm afraid. Your best bet is to work hard to get the grades and apply after your results, if you really can't find courses within your reach at the moment.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.