Dating a girl I met on the internet! Watch

Vintage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ask her for her phone number.. then txt each other.. then ask her..

if she wont give u her phone number. give up.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by jennella)
She might just be nervous or worried then. Like she may like you and might be thinking "oh gosh what if he doesn't like me" and all the other things girls worry about. Why don't you suggest the friend who you both know comes along and someone else too, go out as a group bowling or something. That way you meet, know what each other is like in person and then maybe from there things could happen?

And it is amazing you're right. Just try not to get too sucked in, I learnt my lesson haha.
He's not friends with her as such, but he knows who she is, he goes to her sixth form and as seen her around, though has never spoken to her!

I'm sorry to hear about your "lesson", I've had this feeling quite a few times before, it's strange.
decoy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nah s'all good in the hood.
:]

Ah okay, that kinda sucks then if he doesn't know, know her.

I'd just say go for it then really. Explain why you backed off and then hopefully it'll all work out.

The worst she can do is say no, least you'll know, then you can be friends and just move on to someone else.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jennella)
Nah s'all good in the hood.
:]

Ah okay, that kinda sucks then if he doesn't know, know her.

I'd just say go for it then really. Explain why you backed off and then hopefully it'll all work out.

The worst she can do is say no, least you'll know, then you can be friends and just move on to someone else.
Thanks for the help. This girl is definately looking for a relationship, my biggest fear is ******ing up on the first date , I'm crap with girls really, oh well, what have I got to lose??!
Vetinari
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well perhaps she really is just apprehensive about meeting up with someone off of the internet. You could ask her for her phone number and start having conversations over the phone - that might help her to feel more comfortable and so she might become more confident about meeting up.
decoy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^ Yeah.
Or you could try webcam.

Good luck anyway.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
As a girl who's like on the receiving end of this also, I'll give you the story behind it and what my view is and why I haven't met him.
I've now known him a year, he just randomly added me on myspace. We're at different schools but live in the same city. Turns out one of my friends was gonna be joining his class for a lesson at the beginning of last year, so I know he's definitely real. We did arrange to meet, but I cancelled it because it didn't feel right. He said he was gutted because he'd grown to like me as I seemed like a nice girl and he could talk easily to me but would wait for me to be comfortable and everything was normal. I told the friend who was in the same class as him about him saying he liked me and wanting to meet up and she said that I should just go for it and see what happens, but I didn't. He asked to meet up again but I admit I kept making excuses saying I was busy. He asked again, but I did have a genuine reason, as it was going to be a year since someone close to me had died, yet he didn't seem interested, and acted like he thought I was making excuses. That annoyed me alot because why would I make up something like that? I guess you could say we kinda had an argument (over msn lol) about how I never seem to wanna meet up and how he's getting frustrated with me letting him down, but he won't give up because I'm not worth giving up on, unless I wanted him to. My response to that was that I was sorry, I couldn't change circumstances and that I couldn't tell him what to do in regards to him giving up on me. Another thing which annoyed me is that he brought my friend into this, he was asking her why I kept refusing to meet him and would I ever meet him. Of course he didn't know that my friend told me what he said, but that's not the point. It's between me and him, noone else. After that we really drifted, hardly spoke anymore, if at all.
He next spoke to me when I had something stupid up as my display name on msn, and for a second I thought 'great! we're gonna go back to normal!' but it wasn't long until he brought meeting up up again. Fortunately I was going on holiday the next week and so said maybe we'd sort something out when I got back.
I've been back almost 4 weeks now and he's spoke to me once, asking about my holiday - even though he's online everyday.

I basically haven't met up with him because I'm scared. Sounds utterly stupid but it's true. I have tons of questions buzzing round my head like what if he meets me and doesn't like what he sees? What if I'm not what he expects? To me, from the way he talks, it's like he has all these expectations of me which I know I won't live up to, and so he's just gonna be disappointed. Another reason why I haven't met up with him is because I don't trust people. I don't even fully trust my friends, I keep nearly everything bottled up which I know isn't good. This is because of past things which he doesn't know about (even my friends don't know the whole story - just bits of it), but I then think why should I have to justify myself to him? To anyone even? I've said to my friend that I'm scared (haven't really gone into details with her though) and she's said to me many times she's more than happy to come with me, or even arrange bowling and him take a friend, but I've said no everytime. I know it's my fault and I don't blame him for being frustrated with me, but I can't change the way I am and I can't make him or my friend understand why.

This girl has said what she thinks of you and how much she likes talking to you - definitely sounds to me that she likes you. As for meeting up, ask her what she thinks of the idea, and that you're ok with it if she's unsure, and that you've got plenty of time to meet. If she's unsure about meeting, how about talking on the phone? I'd say that's a stepping stone to her being more comfortable, as you will hear each others voice and first reactions and stuff. Even better would be talking on the phone/via microphone on msn and being on webcam, as you can see and hear each other, but it's not meeting.

Sorry for it being soo long! And if anyone has any ideas of what I could maybe do I'd be grateful!

Good luck though x
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just ask her if she wants to meet for lunch sometime. Make it not look like a date.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 years ago
Oops.. I've kinda repeated what other people have said. I started writing this about two hours ago but I got distracted lol. Sorryy!
8urtay
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ok, this might get a bit long winded, so please bear with me!

Essentially, I got this random girl's email address aaages ago, like over a year ago. We chat on msn quite a bit and get on really well. I've seen pictures of her and she's gorgeous, and we have a bit of a laugh (over msn lol - sounds pathetic i know!). There's something really mysterious about her and I can't quite describe what it is.

A while ago I asked her what she thought of meeting up with randoms she's met off the internet and whether she'd consider meeting me. Her response was "Generally I don't. But I actually talk to you and so don't consider you as a random, so...we'll see." I was hardly uplifted by this reply, so next time she came online I told her that we should maybe just forget it. I guessed she wasn't keen, so cut my losses! I took a risk.

We didn't talk for a little while, but after a short amount of time elapsed we began to build up the connection again and she kind of opened up to me about a couple of issues that she'd been having. I won't go into details, but she told me that she thought I was great and she liked chatting to me. I'm now feeling really confused. I don't know how to read her, does she want to meet me or not?! If she does, how do I go about asking her again, having (foolishly?) closed the door to it? I'm quite confused about this all.

If anyone has taken the time to read this all the way through, thanks, can you offer me some help???

Cheers,

tip 1: dont take up poker

When she says that she will consider meeting up with you why do you read this as a bad thing? IF she had turned round and said 'well no i dont sorry' then of course she wouldn't be interested in you. You literally cut your WINNINGS lol

She now compliments you loads after 'coming back to you'. How can she not like you? Therefore just ask her to meet sometime directly! Make sure you are meeting up on the intention of being friends! Develop the relationship from there and hopefully within a few weeks you'll be at a stage where you are practically inseperable! lol.

Be yourself and dont be a creep! and your sorted! lol
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
erm. anonymous1, meet anonymous2...
Timeslikethese
Badges:
Report 11 years ago
OP you were the one being funny, she only said 'we'll see' ad then you got funny and said to forget it. Just build things up again and see if things are going in that direction. Don't just spring it on her.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 8urtay)
tip 1: dont take up poker

When she says that she will consider meeting up with you why do you read this as a bad thing? IF she had turned round and said 'well no i dont sorry' then of course she wouldn't be interested in you. You literally cut your WINNINGS lol

She now compliments you loads after 'coming back to you'. How can she not like you? Therefore just ask her to meet sometime directly! Make sure you are meeting up on the intention of being friends! Develop the relationship from there and hopefully within a few weeks you'll be at a stage where you are practically inseperable! lol.

Be yourself and dont be a creep! and your sorted! lol
Yep, I've been stupid! I've made a terrible mistake I know, hope she gives me another chance!
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ive met lots of people on the net.
I'm a member of the MG owners club. Which, like this, has a forum.
Ive met alot of people through the forum at various events and even become good friends with many of them.

All the crap you read in the papers about people getting killed etc is iscolated cases.

My experiences have all been very positive. One chap even let me rebuild my front suspension in his garage and let me sleep in his study over a couple of days.
Lateralus
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As a girl who's like on the receiving end of this also, I'll give you the story behind it and what my view is and why I haven't met him.
I've now known him a year, he just randomly added me on myspace. We're at different schools but live in the same city. Turns out one of my friends was gonna be joining his class for a lesson at the beginning of last year, so I know he's definitely real. We did arrange to meet, but I cancelled it because it didn't feel right. He said he was gutted because he'd grown to like me as I seemed like a nice girl and he could talk easily to me but would wait for me to be comfortable and everything was normal. I told the friend who was in the same class as him about him saying he liked me and wanting to meet up and she said that I should just go for it and see what happens, but I didn't.

He asked to meet up again but I admit I kept making excuses saying I was busy. He asked again, but I did have a genuine reason, as it was going to be a year since someone close to me had died, yet he didn't seem interested, and acted like he thought I was making excuses. That annoyed me alot because why would I make up something like that? I guess you could say we kinda had an argument (over msn lol) about how I never seem to wanna meet up and how he's getting frustrated with me letting him down, but he won't give up because I'm not worth giving up on, unless I wanted him to. My response to that was that I was sorry, I couldn't change circumstances and that I couldn't tell him what to do in regards to him giving up on me.

Another thing which annoyed me is that he brought my friend into this, he was asking her why I kept refusing to meet him and would I ever meet him. Of course he didn't know that my friend told me what he said, but that's not the point. It's between me and him, noone else. After that we really drifted, hardly spoke anymore, if at all.

He next spoke to me when I had something stupid up as my display name on msn, and for a second I thought 'great! we're gonna go back to normal!' but it wasn't long until he brought meeting up up again. Fortunately I was going on holiday the next week and so said maybe we'd sort something out when I got back.
I've been back almost 4 weeks now and he's spoke to me once, asking about my holiday - even though he's online everyday.

I basically haven't met up with him because I'm scared. Sounds utterly stupid but it's true. I have tons of questions buzzing round my head like what if he meets me and doesn't like what he sees? What if I'm not what he expects? To me, from the way he talks, it's like he has all these expectations of me which I know I won't live up to, and so he's just gonna be disappointed. Another reason why I haven't met up with him is because I don't trust people. I don't even fully trust my friends, I keep nearly everything bottled up which I know isn't good. This is because of past things which he doesn't know about (even my friends don't know the whole story - just bits of it), but I then think why should I have to justify myself to him? To anyone even? I've said to my friend that I'm scared (haven't really gone into details with her though) and she's said to me many times she's more than happy to come with me, or even arrange bowling and him take a friend, but I've said no everytime. I know it's my fault and I don't blame him for being frustrated with me, but I can't change the way I am and I can't make him or my friend understand why.
Hes probably just as nervous at meeting up with you as you are meeting up with him. I've met with girls through myspace 3 or 4 times and trust me - I've ****ing bricked it. I was eager to meet with this one girl and when we finally met I was thinking "wow, I can't actually believe it." She was perfect. He probably thinks the same of you if hes keen. Just meet up at a coffee shop and talk about things. Anything that comes into your mind. If things don't work out, then you never have to see him again.
Holty-Dave
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've met lots of people from the internet, I think the whole meeting up thing is overhyped. At the end of the day we're all human (i hope) and if you just be yourself and prove you're the same person in real life than on the internet things will be fine.

I believe relationshipwise, you can't really like someone until you've crossed the meeting them in person step. You might just meet them and nothing happens / arkward or something is forced because you aren't sure if you're 'meant to'

I know what I'm saying is probably obvious but I hope it helps you. Good luck with your situation
PhilMc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
My experiences have all been very positive. One chap even let me rebuild my front suspension in his garage and let me sleep in his study over a couple of days.

Anyway, I have tons of physco dolls adding me on MSN, that they get through my Bebo \/ I just see it as funny to be honest. Often most of them want to meet up, and one harrassed a guy and a girl mate of mine because I had blocked her and she had said she was going out with me!!

So now I just don't accept any randomers anymore - It's not cool LOL.
decoy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't accept randomers to my msn, they're usually blocked within 10 mins.
But i've met tons of people online too.
Never had a bad experience.
Anonymous #1
Do you reckon I should tell her exactly how I felt when she said: "I don't generally meet randoms off the internet, but I dont consider you as a random, so...we'll see?". I genuinely saw this as a knockback. Should I explain that's why I called it off? :confused:
Anonymous #3
Report 11 years ago
You seem to be reading too much into this. I met my current girlfriend online (from TSR actually), but we decided to meet up as friends. It blossomed into a relationship.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (869)
80.09%
Leave (216)
19.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed