Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How do I win against OCD?

ReputationRep:
    Its too much

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen your GP/a psychiatrist? Or tried therapy such as CBT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Its too much
    Depends, could you give us a bit more info?

(If you want to of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    Its too much
    Hey how are you doing? Sorry to reply so late, but I always try to make a point of reading OCD stuff. I found out I had it about 3 years ago and i'm not really sure how long I had it for. I didn't realise it until I was diagnosed basically and it was even harder for others to understand. The people who never questioned it or told me I was overreacting though were my doctor, psychiatrist and therapists. If you haven't asked a doctor about therapy yet I would strongly suggest it. I went through 3 before I found the right fit for me (group cbt), but once I did boy did it help. 3 years later and it doesn't define me anymore. I'm in control now.

OCD tends to feed of anxiety and depression too, so if you can sort out any of that you may have it can really help. Mine reared it's ugly head when I became depressed and I could never touch it until I got a handle on my depression. After that it was so much easier.

Btw some good things I suggest you look into are: Mind.org, Sane.org, Camp OCD (though it can be quite triggering) and the theory behind OCD. There's an actual biological factor in OCD which basically means your brain doesn't step in like it does for most people and say "we've done enough of that" so it keeps going. It also gets worse if you're anxious so if you start getting annoyed at yourself for doing things and trying to force yourself to stop it can get a lot worse. It can actually better if you give yourself a little bit of leaway. For me, accepting one ritual has meant I can stop myself from doing the others. It can also help people to try to stop for an ammont of time but then go back to it. It helps you to build up the ability to stay no, but also not stress yourself too much. It can also make it easier in public to be able to just hold off a bit so you can do it less obviously.

Exact methods depend on you and your type of OCD. I haven't talked about obsesive thoughs here cos I never got them much so don't understand them as well.

Anyway, I suggest CBT or other therapy and generally educting yourself. I found it a lot easier once I didn't feel as crazy for it.

Good luck and if you have any other questions I will try my best to answer them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hey how are you doing? Sorry to reply so late, but I always try to make a point of reading OCD stuff. I found out I had it about 3 years ago and i'm not really sure how long I had it for. I didn't realise it until I was diagnosed basically and it was even harder for others to understand. The people who never questioned it or told me I was overreacting though were my doctor, psychiatrist and therapists. If you haven't asked a doctor about therapy yet I would strongly suggest it. I went through 3 before I found the right fit for me (group cbt), but once I did boy did it help. 3 years later and it doesn't define me anymore. I'm in control now.

OCD tends to feed of anxiety and depression too, so if you can sort out any of that you may have it can really help. Mine reared it's ugly head when I became depressed and I could never touch it until I got a handle on my depression. After that it was so much easier.

Btw some good things I suggest you look into are: Mind.org, Sane.org, Camp OCD (though it can be quite triggering) and the theory behind OCD. There's an actual biological factor in OCD which basically means your brain doesn't step in like it does for most people and say "we've done enough of that" so it keeps going. It also gets worse if you're anxious so if you start getting annoyed at yourself for doing things and trying to force yourself to stop it can get a lot worse. It can actually better if you give yourself a little bit of leaway. For me, accepting one ritual has meant I can stop myself from doing the others. It can also help people to try to stop for an ammont of time but then go back to it. It helps you to build up the ability to stay no, but also not stress yourself too much. It can also make it easier in public to be able to just hold off a bit so you can do it less obviously.

Exact methods depend on you and your type of OCD. I haven't talked about obsesive thoughs here cos I never got them much so don't understand them as well.

Anyway, I suggest CBT or other therapy and generally educting yourself. I found it a lot easier once I didn't feel as crazy for it.

Good luck and if you have any other questions I will try my best to answer them

I kind of managed to fight through it and just tell my self " it doesnt matter" every time a ritual urge comes
    Seems to be working (its been a year)

The problem is the second my first OCD ritual dropped i started getting OCD over new things! Irritiating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    I kind of managed to fight through it and just tell my self " it doesnt matter" every time a ritual urge comes
    Seems to be working (its been a year)

The problem is the second my first OCD ritual dropped i started getting OCD over new things! Irritiating.
    As you said it feeds off anxiety, so I'm trying to work on my ego
    Telling my self affirmaitons like "I'm always right", seems to be the right route

Im taking medication for ADHD(my physciatrist sais thats my no.1 issue though doesnt dispute my OCD) , and iv signed up for CBT. Should I consider asking for OCD medicaiton like SSRI's? what are they like

ReputationRep:
    I think seeing a professional would be a good start if you dont see one already

ReputationRep:
    I suggest professional help, and consider something like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Good luck OP, stay healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvpmb)
    As you said it feeds off anxiety, so I'm trying to work on my ego
    Telling my self affirmaitons like "I'm always right", seems to be the right route

Im taking medication for ADHD(my physciatrist sais thats my no.1 issue though doesnt dispute my OCD) , and iv signed up for CBT. Should I consider asking for OCD medicaiton like SSRI's? what are they like
    I took Citalopram which is an antidepressant. It helped me a lot and I don't think I would be where I am now without them. They can have tough side effects and are not always the right fit so don't take the decision lightly but it is worth discussing with a doctor. You may have to be extra careful where you are already taking ADHD meds. I started ADD meds while I was on Citalopram and had to stop them cos they made me twitch at night.

You are on the right route so I'm afraid now it's mostly a matter of time and perseverance. Remember that occasional slips do not mean you are not progressing. It's easy to forget how far you have come and loose hope. Try to keep that hope.

ReputationRep:
    If you dont already see someone about it then id highly reccomend it!
    I have OCD myself and am now seeing my 3rd therapist!
    Ive got to live with it for the rest of my life. Not fun!

Medication also helps massively! Just make sure to take it daily and to make sure that its right for you!

Another way to deal with it is to just resist it. This is incredibly hard and i cant do it myself but its supposedly the best way to overcome it. So id reccomend giving that a go. Theres a cycle which you need to break. And this is the only way to break it!

I can give a lot more info if you would like it!

Just feeling tired currently.

Any questions, ask away

Diagnosed 5 times with OCD, Anxiety & Depression 2.5 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Just to give you all context so you can perhaps give me more advice

I had an abusive relationship with my mother, nasty stuff

I smoked a lot of weed when I was 15, I know most people tolerate it fairly well but it left me with overwhelming anxiety /OCD problems that lingered around

My first OCD was about weed. I would block everyone who smoked weeded religiously avoid it and have panic attacks whenever I smelt it

My second OCD was about "Mould" , I had some grow in my house and it gave me really bad allergies and before I knew it my OCD wouldn't let me live at home and now I spray Mould killer everywhere!

These sound like small things but it's the intrusive 24/7 thoughts that are the big deal

Recently I had a fairly disturbing relationship with a girl that reminded me of my mum(if anything she was more physcotic).
    I've been told I was just "using her" to fix my broken relationship with my mum. She absolutely loathes me and it got nasty and before I knew it I had violent unmanageable OCD about "blocking her"

I have paranoia that one day she might try to kill me or something(sometimes I think I'm crazy sometimes I think I'm just rationalizing what might actually happen 😂)

Sounds a bit comedic but these intrusive thoughts hit my head 24/7 it's a sick joke really
    The problem I have is I naturally think very intensively. For example I use to get tested every week at school for politics, so to make sure I got an A* I would go for a walk before bed and THINK THINK AND THINK SOME MORE like hardcore brainwashing to make sure I got the perfect answers. The problem is learning to think intensely as I did made this third OCD completely horrifying because my mind is used to hardcore thinking now 😰

Although blocking a physcotic ex girlfriend is a somewhat rational thing to do, for the sake of my OCD I talk to her every now and again and takenthe piss and have a card in my room saying (don't go for a coffe she might spike it and kill you!) . It's working great, not sure what the end solution is or if I should just do this forever

More to the point I'm at uni now so I want to focus on new things so badly so I just need to know how to let go of this OCD or whether I just have to manage it forever!

I think giving up the compulsion is important but equally I have to find away to remind my self that this isn't someone to associate wit

(I forget easily!)

I recently started having "University OCD" where I can't accept the university I'm and compulsively think of new ones all day even though the one I'm at is where I wanted to be!

Vicious cycles 💀 It's getting easier though,my ADHD medication is a non stimulant one that's quite relaxing, it makes my head a lot clearer, I think I can win 😁

Ps.
    The therapist I saw wants to purely focus on my ADHD. So I'm signing up for CBT my self to help with the OCD

But his theory is that my brains hyperactivity from ADHD is the root cause so il trust him in any case

ReputationRep:
    The voices just started(I'm trying to sleep)

BLOCK HER BLOCK HER BLOCK HER

lol the world will fall apart if I don't apparently 😂 Stupid OCD
    Maybe I need to accept I'm not a ****ing idiot that needs a symbolic social media button to survive? OCD does crazy things 😣

The way I see it fixing OCD is like fixing two broken circuits

One circuits broken because you have to do something to feel better

The other circuits broken because once you do what you need to feel better you feel worse

You need to reshape your mind to be in different and happy to both sides.

" it doesn't matter if I don't block her, I just ignore her and live"

"If i block her it's because I feel like it and I shouldn't give a damn"

Am I on the right track?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.