Are universities with higher entry requirements always the better option?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This may sound dumb but checking websites like whatuni, I've seen that higher "rated" universities seem to have lower student satisfaction and other factors that make them seem worse than some universities that are seen as lower than them.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that student satisfaction relies on people who have only experienced one university (their own). So can you really compare between across unis meaningfully?

Higher entry requirements generally mean more advanced teaching because the class is smarter. But it's a rule of thumb rather than a law, and there are other factors (graduate destinations etc.).

ReputationRep:
    You have to weigh how much you want to find university an enjoyable experience (going out multiple times a week, spending lots of time with multiple societies, etc.) versus the quality of education you want.

My university isn't particularly good on "Student Satisfaction" league tables, and it can be a downright unpleasant experience at times (although most of the time is still very enjoyable), but it is incredibly academically stimulating and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Some unis which are not actually that high increase their entry req just to seem prestigious and reputable so they can be in the same league as the top unis

ReputationRep:
    There can also be quite a disconnect between published entry requirements, offers made, and accepted grades.
    The best option IMHO though is the best course for you at the university you will feel happy about. You shouldn't have to view getting a degree as a sentence to 3/4 years of purgatory

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of other factors to consider.

e.g. for physics, Durham offer A*A*A yet it's a complete ****hole
    Oxford offer A*AA and it's ok I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexFam)
    There are plenty of other factors to consider.

e.g. for physics, Durham offer A*A*A yet it's a complete ****hole
    Oxford offer A*AA and it's ok I guess.
    I would hardly call Durham a shithole...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I would hardly call Durham a shithole...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    /s

(Original post by BrainJuice)
    This may sound dumb but checking websites like whatuni, I've seen that higher "rated" universities seem to have lower student satisfaction and other factors that make them seem worse than some universities that are seen as lower than them.
    It depends what your priorities are thus you go to the place that is best for you.
    Just do a pros and cons of all the factors you think are important from academic down to social life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainJuice)
    Would you rather be 'satisfied' or properly educated honestly. Part of the reason student satisfaction for those universities can be lower is because the courses are harder and there's less time to explain every single detail. I think Birmingham is the exception to the rule since it seems to have high student satisfaction ratings while being fairly rigorous.

ReputationRep:
    The people at the better unis tend to have higher expectations. The students at, say, Plymouth are much easier to please than the ones at LSE

Generally the higher the entry requirement, the better the uni. However, this isn't always the case. For example, Queen Mary UoL wants A*AA for Law, which is just downright hilarious given their reputation. I don't know how they think they can justify having such high entry requirements. Bristol, on the other hand, wants AAA but is exceptionally good, quite possibly top 5, and certainly top 10 for law. Then look at Nottingham, which wants A*AA for Law but probably isn't any better than Bristol, if not slightly worse.

But yes, the general trend is that an AAA uni will be better than a BBB uni.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.