Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever had unreciprocated feelings for someone and remained friends? Watch

Announcements

I used to have feelings for one of my guy best mates. I never told him because I knew he didn't feel that way. I don't know if he knew or not, I'm fairly sure he did but it didn't change our friendship or anything. We drifted due to not living near eachother any more. We now live in the same town again and although we aren't as good friends as we were (yet) I feel like we will be seeing a lot more of eachother.

I don't have feelings for him anymore and he is with a girlfriend who I really like. I'm just really embarassed by those old feelings and am worried it will stop us being good friends again? Especially if he knew.

What do you think?

i'm a girl btw

bump
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My question is why are you worried that your past feelings would affect the friendship? Unless you still have feelings for him, which is what it sounds like.

It's very difficult to stay friends with someone who didn't have the same feelings as you. You'll start to get jealous that they're giving most of their attention to another girl/guy and that's when the friendship could get rocky. It's possible that your feelings will come back when you start seeing him often.

Obviously, don't tell him but I wouldn't get too close, in case your feelings come back.

This reminds me of a wedding I went to recently. Turns out one of the bridesmaids was a girl I used to talk to and I admitted my feelings for her before, when she didn't feel the same way. Since then the friendship died pretty quickly. It has been several years since I've spoken to her as well.

I think we both purposely avoided each other during the wedding. I was at the wedding because of the groom.

I wish I could give you some advice, but I couldn't even talk to the girl I fancied a few years ago during a wedding that was about a month ago.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    My question is why are you worried that your past feelings would affect the friendship? Unless you still have feelings for him, which is what it sounds like.
    Yep.

It's very difficult to stay friends with someone who didn't have the same feelings as you.
    I think that depends on your attitude. There are plenty of friends who I'd happy 'do sexual stuff' with, but who are not interested. I don't think I've lost any friendships over it, largely because I'm fine with them not being interested.

ReputationRep:
    I've liked 2 of my close friends in the past. One of whom I told at the time and it was in reciprocated but we remained friends without much in the way of awkwardness at all. The other I told later and it changed absolutely nothing between us. It depends on how you think about everything. For me what I most cared about in both cases was getting to know them and I valued them as friends more than it hurt to see them with other people.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Never. I do not even talk to anyone I have liked in the past anymore. For me I find when you stop liking someone the effort from my side just goes away.

(Original post by UWS)

It's very difficult to stay friends with someone who didn't have the same feelings as you. You'll start to get jealous that they're giving most of their attention to another girl/guy and that's when the friendship could get rocky. It's possible that your feelings will come back when you start seeing him often.

Obviously, don't tell him but I wouldn't get too close, in case your feelings come back.
    I don't still have feelings for him and I don't feel any jealousy towards his girlfriend. I actually really like her.I'm just worried that if he DID know he will feel weird around me

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of mine and @serah.exe love story :cry2::cry:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.