The Student Room Group

Really struggling with Pace of Foundation Year Core Math + Further Math

Hi,

I'm 25 doing a 4 Year degree in Computer Science at UoL with an Integrated Foundation Year at Carmel College. I did my GCSE's in 2007 and got 2A's 6B's 2C's. Maths GCSE was a B. I did A levels but messed them up only getting a C and an E (I didn't take Maths at A level either)

So I've been working since leaving college. And ultimately, I haven't done Maths for 8.5 Years.

I started the course this week. My modules are Maths, Further maths (as it was recommended for comp sci) and Computing.

I am really struggling both with the pace and quite a few of the concepts in the Math classes. Looking through the class, most of the other students are people fresh out of A-Levels who didn't do well enough to progress to uni but are very familiar with the math. In comparison I have forgot much of the GCSE stuff.

I wouldn't even say there's much teaching being done, it's more the teacher goes through a few examples on the board but doesn't do much explaining why they are doing what they are doing, and then we are given exercises to do ourselves.

I have expressed my concerns to both teachers and they said the classes will be getting split next week between A level students and GCSE students but it still doesn't give me much confidence given we are all doing the same exam. I was under the impression the idea of the foundation year was to give GCSE level students an opportunity to learn what was required for the intended course rather than just be an A-Level refresher for borderline A-Level math students.

Has anyone ever been in a similar position and can you recommend anything that might help? Suggestions for what I should focus on most? I have been using the Khan academy but the teachers warned this can go into more detail than required. Besides I don't think I should be too reliant on Khan Academy given I am paying for the foundation year to begin with.

Thanks
Try examsolutions.net . It doesn't ramble quite as much as Khan, and covers GCSE and A Level topics, so you can easily find whatever topic you are stuck on. Do you have access to A level text books? The main things that will get you up to speed are lots of practice and asking for help when you need it.
Reply 2
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Try examsolutions.net . It doesn't ramble quite as much as Khan, and covers GCSE and A Level topics, so you can easily find whatever topic you are stuck on. Do you have access to A level text books? The main things that will get you up to speed are lots of practice and asking for help when you need it.

Thanks that seems useful.

I only need 50% in each

30% of the final score is derived from assignments on both modules, 70% from exams

Does this sound more attainable?
Sure. They wouldn't have offered you the place if they didn't think you have the potential. Don't be discouraged if it's hard at first. As long as you put the work in, you can succeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending