To All Religious People

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To you, does faith overrule logic?
    By that I mean, if I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in its existence?

Lastly, do you think it's right to make kids have faith in something which in terms of likelihood of existing is equal to that of a unicorn?

ReputationRep:
    In my religion there's a teaching which says you can be an agnostic until you have a godly experience and that's me at the moment. I'm luck my faith is a chilled out one though

As for the last question, I wouldn't really introduce religion to my kids. I can teach them to respect people and nature without religion. If they wanted to be religious when they grew up, that's their choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in it's existence
    i bet they'd agree with you for all the thousands of other gods that have been suggested. just not the one mummy and daddy said was real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    In my religion there's a teaching which says you can be an agnostic until you have a godly experience and that's me at the moment. I'm luck my faith is a chilled out one though
    What religion are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    What religion are you?
    Pastafarianist and proud

Spoiler:
    Show
    Joking. I'm a Hindu Or I was raised Hindu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    By that I mean, if I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in it's existence?

Lastly, do you think it's right to make kids have faith in something which in terms of likelihood of existing is equal to that of a unicorn?
    Unicorns exist XOR
    What are you trying to say....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Before all this, define "religious". :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Unicorns exist XOR
    What are you trying to say....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :cry2:
    Cheese, I've got something to tell you, take a seat..

ReputationRep:
    Why is Jesus portrayed in pictures as some white man with long hair and a beard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Cheese, I've got something to tell you, take a seat..
    That face is so illuminati, I would run so very far away before thinking of sitting down
    Spoiler:
    Show
    don't destroy my childhood dreams :hand: :cry: :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeus007)
    Why is Jesus portrayed in pictures as some white man with long hair and a beard?
    No idea why but his face reminded me of a wrestler's. Must be the long hair tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    By that I mean, if I could logically prove the likelihood of a god existing is equal to that of a unicorn would you still have faith in it's existence?

Being serious (a rare occurrence, I am aware )
    Prove it
    Why not? Give em some hope eh

ReputationRep:
    Pastafarianist and proud

Spoiler:
    Show
    Joking. I'm a Hindu Or I was raised Hindu
    Ahh, are you a strict follower then or more laid back with the traditional beliefs?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm so nosey today I don't know why :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Ahh, are you a strict follower then or more laid back with the traditional beliefs?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm so nosey today I don't know why :mmm:
    I'm more laid back It's a chilled faith to believe in to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    i interpreted the picture differently

ReputationRep:
    tbh if people dont like the religion they are brought up upon they can and have the freewill to leave.

ReputationRep:
    No idea why but his face reminded me of a wrestler's. Must be the long hair tbh.
    Yeah, his going to dropkick you into hell for not believing in him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    tbh if people dont like the religion they are brought up upon they can and have the freewill to leave.
    They can.But only if they posess the necessary critical thinking skills.Its pretty much brainwashing.And we are inclined through evolution to listen to our parents otherwise we would end up dead.Ever wonder why most children are afraid of the dark and think there are monsters under the bed? Thats because of evolution.If children were not scared of the dark they would be eaten by some predator.In the same way children believe the things their parents say because if they didnt then in the past they'd end up dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)

You can throw all the logic in the world at me if you want but it'll never sway me from my faith because logic can't make me un-experience God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    You can throw all the logic in the world at me if you want but it'll never sway me from my faith because logic can't make me un-experience God.
    How can you tell that the experience(s) was God and not just a mental perception based on the idea of a God?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you ever go to a non Russell Group uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.