Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post so sorry if not.

Basically I studied biology for undergraduate - I suffer with severe depression and anxiety which only peaked during my third and final year.
    Turned my 2:1 into a 3rd without honours.
    I was too ashamed and depressed to seek help/let my lecturers know about my struggle and now I'm stuck with this 3rd.

I've tried to get onto postgrad courses and even explained my situation and supplied work that's demonstrates my capabilites and I've been denied due to my transcript twice now.
    I am lost and working in a dead-end retail job. I know what I want to do and I would love to study the topic and gain work in something I love but I'm not being given the chance to - is there a way to re-do my initial degree? Can I study something to boost my undergrad? Can I study for another undergrad and get funded?
    How can I stop my mental disability from ruining my life any longer?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doobledobble)
    Hi, not sure if this is the right place to post so sorry if not.

Basically I studied biology for undergraduate - I suffer with severe depression and anxiety which only peaked during my third and final year.
    Turned my 2:1 into a 3rd without honours.
    I was too ashamed and depressed to seek help/let my lecturers know about my struggle and now I'm stuck with this 3rd.

I've tried to get onto postgrad courses and even explained my situation and supplied work that's demonstrates my capabilites and I've been denied due to my transcript twice now.
    I am lost and working in a dead-end retail job. I know what I want to do and I would love to study the topic and gain work in something I love but I'm not being given the chance to - is there a way to re-do my initial degree? Can I study something to boost my undergrad? Can I study for another undergrad and get funded?
    How can I stop my mental disability from ruining my life any longer?
    There's no way to get state funding for a second undergrad degree, save for a few qualifying medical degrees.

You could look at the Open University for additional modules, but once your degree has been awarded, that's it, it is what it is.

I suggest you forget academia for a few years, and focus on the steps it will take to get on a career route you want, and that may take several steps, over a number of years.

However, if your mental health is what has caused the degree issue, then you need to prioritise improving that so that you can deliver to your potential in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider this situation a lost cause and I wouldnt do what the above person stated and forget about it. I would pick myself up and go down and see the course leader at the uni and see if there is anything that can be done - Potentially pay to resit modules, maybe get doctors note for evidence, maybe go through appeals procedures. One thing I've learnt is if one person says no, go above their head and find a person who says yes.

Alongside this I would be applying like crazy to every single Biology related job I could find on the internet (relocating sometimes is needed!), I wouldn't phrase my failure on health issue but phrase it in a way to say I did not perform to my best - I've learned from my mistakes and moved on. Or say you had some personal issues that affected you from doing your best, and that you've now learnt from your mistakes and corrected your circustances to allow you to fulfil your potential.

I would try to get onto a Masters course either through clearing or by straight application, anywhere across the UK - don't be fussy as a MSc will trump your BSc and give you an opportunity to correct your mistake. It may also be a good tactic to apply late and if some are not full, you may get lucky. You've only applied twice... sounds like you need a kick up the bum. Time to give up this year is when you've applied to every single uni in the UK and they all said no. If they all say no, you get work experience in Biology (whatever level you can) then apply the following year. If I failed then, I would use my biology work experience and try to jump to the next level in a job or get a newer job at a higher level then reapply again or I would go to a bigger company and after a year or two get them to pay for me to do a part time masters.

Also Open Uni do some masters courses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.