Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Ahh no fair, I want mine!
Angel_Cake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by icanteachyouathingortwo)
Ahh no fair, I want mine!

Me too!!! I will not be convinced I actually got through and it wasn't just a mistake until I find out what my mark was.
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh ok, it arrived! It actually wasn't at all what I expected - I thought I didn't do well in the interview, and all of that feedback was positive, and I thought the presentation exercise was my best area and that got the most negative feedback! Just shows you can never really tell.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
16.62 and didn't win. Never mind, at least it wasn't as awful as I thought. Maybe next year.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also, not too bothered, as the final assessment boards for Clerkships are when I have my finals...so that would've been either added stress or would've had to miss entirely.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Report 10 years ago
I got exactly 17 and passed, guess that means I'm one of the lowest marks out of anyone who went through. Would be interested in knowing anyone else's mark who doesn't mind saying. It's anonymous so it can't really do any harm
liz_j
Report 10 years ago
I also got 16.62 and didn't get through.
k8gilly
Report 10 years ago
I got 16.85 and didn't get in!! Must have been so close if you got in with 17! boo hoo
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by k8gilly)
I got 16.85 and didn't get in!! Must have been so close if you got in with 17! boo hoo
yeah i think so, the feedback forms seem pretty useful so maybe you'll be able to use them to do better next year. I got to the e-tray stage last year and found that things were alot easier the second time around.
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For all of you who didn't get in, sorry to hear the news.

It's worth remembering that most people don't get in first time. Most of the Fast Streamers I know have spent time outside of Government before applying and it is often this stuff that sees them ahead of the competition.

Basically if you've come straight through school-college-university-fast stream, you really are an exception to the rule.

The feedback itself is really useful - the questions to ask now revolve around what sort of actions you need to take to deal with the areas for development - and to be prepared to go beyond what is comfortable. For example working for a charity working in a very deprived area or from people from deprived backgrounds if you're from an affluent background. Empathy goes a long way in this job.
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prince Rhyus)
For all of you who didn't get in, sorry to hear the news.

It's worth remembering that most people don't get in first time. Most of the Fast Streamers I know have spent time outside of Government before applying and it is often this stuff that sees them ahead of the competition.

Basically if you've come straight through school-college-university-fast stream, you really are an exception to the rule.

The feedback itself is really useful - the questions to ask now revolve around what sort of actions you need to take to deal with the areas for development - and to be prepared to go beyond what is comfortable. For example working for a charity working in a very deprived area or from people from deprived backgrounds if you're from an affluent background. Empathy goes a long way in this job.

For someone who was successful, but has several areas to work on, do you suggest trying to somehow work on them before starting? Or will that be part of training maybe?

Your posts are always really useful and informative, but you have made me slightly worried about starting the fast stream straight out of uni! Is there anything you would suggest I could do in between now and starting so I don't stand out as the young inexpererienced one?! My FSAC mark was comparitively low, which could mean that I have a good few months before starting in which to get some useful experience.
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Angel_Cake)
For someone who was successful, but has several areas to work on, do you suggest trying to somehow work on them before starting? Or will that be part of training maybe?

Your posts are always really useful and informative, but you have made me slightly worried about starting the fast stream straight out of uni! Is there anything you would suggest I could do in between now and starting so I don't stand out as the young inexpererienced one?! My FSAC mark was comparitively low, which could mean that I have a good few months before starting in which to get some useful experience.
Thank you for the compliment

Again, volunteering work in somewhere that is a significant challenge and something that you've not done before. There are lots of opportunities on your doorstep - people often think that you have to go somewhere exotic to gain that sort of experience but actually having volunteered at the harsh end back home will give you far more of an insight into what the government of the day is having to deal with. Many people you will work with have been in the service for quite some time so are less likely to have the insights that you can bring. (See http://www.doit.org.uk/ or http://www.csv.org.uk/ )

Another thing that may be useful is work experience in local government. It might be an idea to see if you can workshadow someone in your local council and let them know that this will benefit both of you as you head into the centre. (If they know you are headed for Whitehall they should jump at the chance.) Getting an understanding of how local government works means you have a greater understanding of how to get stuff delivered, as when you do this course http://www.nationalschool.gov.uk/pro....asp?code=pgcs you will find out that this really is the case and no amount of shouting from Whitehall is going to change that.

One other thing, please join a trade union. It'll save you a lot of grief should you come unstuck in the future.
doubting_thomas
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling)
I got exactly 17 and passed, guess that means I'm one of the lowest marks out of anyone who went through. Would be interested in knowing anyone else's mark who doesn't mind saying. It's anonymous so it can't really do any harm
Let's share

Overall assessment mark 17.3
Lowest mark 2.6, highest mark 3.1
and I got in! must've been skin of my teeth...
gt94sss2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moley)
Same here, although I'll probably send it off fairly soon so that it's ready to go if I fail the FSB.
I probably won't send my FAF form until after the 21st May - which is the last day of the first stage FSB (with results due by the 26th)

Out of interest, are you putting international-related departments as high choices (MoD, Home Office etc)? I have limited interest in domestic politics although I'd probably settle for anything apart from DWP and Local Government purely because of the strengths of the fast-stream scheme.
I think I have posted here that the 'areas of interest' don't necessarily equal certain government departments and it would be a mistake to think they do..

However, I haven't really spent much time considering which 'areas of interest' I will be specifying though there are certain things I am not really interested in including:

Devolved Government
Judicial, Constitutional
Social, Community, Cultural
Education, Families
Health, Welfare, Humanitarian
Transport, Regeneration

so will be ranking my 5 from the others though I don't yet know in which order!

Also, a few years ago, I spent some time working as a HEO in a Fast Stream type role (both my predecessor and successor were Fast Streamers) on a 'short term'/temporary appointment in a certain department - its always possible that they would just see that department listed on my application form and offer them 1st refusal..!

Having said that, I presume you have seen the 'My first preference was for the Diplomatic Service. Will I be assigned to a department with international policy responsibilities?' question on page 9 of the FAF.

In my experience, with the amount of legislation coming from the EU most of the large government departments will have some sort of 'European' policy roles (even if not 'wider' international roles) - but I would also expect you to have to do quite a bit of 'domestic' roles as well.. regardless of the department you end up in.. - even somewhere like DWP (i.e. benefits for EU citizens, right to work in the UK for new member states & pensions for UK citizens living overseas)

Did you manage to go to the FCO open day?
gt94sss2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by liz_j)
I just got my feedback too, and it's very accurate! Useful for if I try again next year... I just wondered if anyone knew what the cut-off mark was, or how I would find out? I'm just curious
You could always ask Parity/the Cabinet office!

Though I see from other posts its somewhere between 16.85 and 17 this year.

This makes sense as according to someone I know its normally between 16.5 and 17 each year - obviously the higher end this year, though those who scored above 16.5 may get in another time (with the same score)

Also, due to the way they score, there are probably a 'bunch' of people grouped just below their pass mark..

Its also important to note, that no matter how well you have done if you score less than 2 in any competency thats an immediate fail..
gt94sss2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Me too!!! I will not be convinced I actually got through and it wasn't just a mistake until I find out what my mark was.
I won't believe it until I pass all the 'pre appointment' checks (which seem to be taking a long time!) and have an offer letter!

Page 6 of the FAF states:

When will I get feedback on my performance at FSAC?

We shall aim to make the FSAC reports available to all successful candidates by the end of April, along with guidance on how to interpret scores. The Fast Stream Grade Manager in your department will discuss the report with you shortly after you start work, and will use it as the basis for your individual development programme. There will also be an opportunity to discuss your development needs when you attend the Fast Stream Induction Course once you have joined.
I understand the Fast Stream means we will all get 15 days of training a year - I don't know if this is addition to the normal courses they might expect all staff to go on (departmental induction, how to be a manager, diversity/health and safety etc) or if they are included in the 15 days..

Is there anything you would suggest I could do in between now and starting so I don't stand out as the young inexpererienced one?! My FSAC mark was comparitively low, which could mean that I have a good few months before starting in which to get some useful experience.
Personally I just plan to go on holiday for a while.. and I suggest most others do the same as depending on wherever you end up you don't know if you will be working 'normal hours' or 'crazy ones'.

If you do want to get some experience, I note Prince Rhyus mentions volunteering or work shadowing.. personally I would just to to one of the employment agencies in Victoria and get a job temping in any government department for a while, just to see what its like.

I wouldn't tell anyone you are going on the Fast Stream and would just take any old job - even if its quite basic.. it will give you an appreciation of how the civil service works and the roles different grades play etc.

If you are moving to London - this would also give you time to find somewhere to live and settle in..

Apart from that, I wouldn't worry - I don't think most of the Fast Streamers have any experience working in the Civil Service before they join - in that way I think the 'in-service' candidates or those who have once had some experience of the civil service are unusual..

The key is probably just to accept at the beginning you don't know how things work and ask others - and avoid being stand offish or think that as you/I are on a 'fast track' scheme we are better than everyone else..

I'm half tempted to suggest that those who have got their feedback reports post parts and others - (those with higher scores?) - could suggest where they could improve.. though perhaps that should be a different thread or a mailing list..
ap658
Report 10 years ago
Like Angel_Cake, I'm joining straight from Uni and finding it a bit daunting. I'm going to be spending some time travelling and hopefully doing a bit of volunteering before starting. I shouldn't think I'll be starting too soon as I scored 17.5 which I'm guessing is towards the lower end. If I still have time when I get back, I might try moving to London and temping for a bit.
Random_guy
Report 10 years ago
I had a score of 18.13, and was one of the lucky ones that was 'immediately successful' when they first set the initial pass mark. As a result I was assigned to HMRC by the end of march and I have a start date in september :s

I'm guessing that means that the gap between the different boundaries are all very close together....
Angel_Cake
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I got 17.2 (when I told my Mum that she said "what? Percent?!") so I was pretty close to the mark as well. But what does it matter, so long as we got in!

My feedback was pretty standard across the board, I got almost the same mark for every competency except decision making, which was a lot lower. I think building productive relationships was highest.

Thanks for the replies about good experiences to have before you start, that's really interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed now that I'll have a good few months until I start in which I can travel a bit and also have time for volunteering. One this is for sure, that I will definitely be very scared on my first day!
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Random_guy)
I had a score of 18.13, and was one of the lucky ones that was 'immediately successful' when they first set the initial pass mark. As a result I was assigned to HMRC by the end of march and I have a start date in september :s

I'm guessing that means that the gap between the different boundaries are all very close together....
Did you select central departments as your first choice? just wondering whether 18.13 was high enough for FCO, clerkships etc
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed