Civil Service Faststream Watch

This discussion is closed.
mab85
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Has the department not been in contact with your friend at all? The email I received informing me of my placement gave me the contact details for someone within that department, and all the contact I have had since then has gone through that person. I can't quite imagine that no contact details have been passed on to your friend.
Angel_Cake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah...apparently he was in contact with a fast streamer originally (from that department), and was told that his boss would be in contact soon after that. So in theory, he can still contact the fast streamer to try and find out more information, but no, I don't think contact details for anyone else have been passed on. That was the the situation as I understood it, anyway - I can quiz him for more details next time I see him!
moley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have received an email saying they're in the process of assigning me and I should hear shortly, and then a request to help test a new etray..
JWeather
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I got that one as well. It said in that e-mail it would be 6-8 weeks but in the personal e-mail they sent to me (after I e-mailed them to ask) it said it would be about a month. Might be worth dropping them a line to see if you can narrow it down a bit!
moley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's the thing, my mate got that email but mine was different and sounded more immediate. Might give them until the end of the week and then chase them up
starry skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I only got the e-mail about helping out with the new e-tray, so it looks as if we're all at different stages in the assignment process
moley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I only got one email as well, there was just a difference in the intro statement at the top.
starry skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
oh, so your mate's said something different? I just assumed it was generic.
moley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
mine said

"Dear Fast Streamer,

As you know, we are currently in the process of assigning you to a department, and we hope to tell you more about this shortly. In the meantime..."

My mate's said:

"Dear Fast Streamer,

I am writing to update you on your Fast Stream assignment. We have not yet assigned you to a government department, but believe we will be able to do so over the next few weeks. As you will know from the literature you've already seen, we cannot be precise about timings; but our best estimate at the moment is that we may be able to tell you something more concrete about your assignment in about 6-8 weeks. "

Of course, I'm not sure what or whether to read anything into the difference.
Prince Rhyus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
For those of you joining the Fast Stream, you should be invited to a reception with the Cabinet Secretary (Head of the Home Civil Service) within your first year of joining the Fast Stream. It is here you need to tell him that the system of allocating places needs to be sped up - and it does.

Failing that, write to your MP and ask him/her to write to the Minister for the Civil Service (nominally the Prime Minister but in reality one of the ministers in the Cabinet Office) to see what the deal is.
starry skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moley)
mine said

"Dear Fast Streamer,

As you know, we are currently in the process of assigning you to a department, and we hope to tell you more about this shortly. In the meantime..."
that's what mine said as well. Of course we all know that "shortly" is likely to have a very, shall we say, flexible interpretation. It's interesting that your friend's was different, but what that difference actually means ????
starry skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prince Rhyus)
For those of you joining the Fast Stream, you should be invited to a reception with the Cabinet Secretary (Head of the Home Civil Service) within your first year of joining the Fast Stream. It is here you need to tell him that the system of allocating places needs to be sped up - and it does.
To be honest I think the whole system should be accelerated. I've heard that companies like Deloitte and KPMG can get their recruitment processes done & dusted in about a month, and I'm at a loss to see why the FS should be so drawn out.
Prince Rhyus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by starry skies)
To be honest I think the whole system should be accelerated. I've heard that companies like Deloitte and KPMG can get their recruitment processes done & dusted in about a month, and I'm at a loss to see why the FS should be so drawn out.
If any of you get the chance to work in Cabinet Office, there's your opportunity to speed the process up!
moley
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The thing is, I can kind of understand why it's this way. In Deloitte, they know they want e.g. 80 number of people to start in tax audit in September. Cabinet Office has to deal with many departments and there's not one big start date except for HMRC and FCO (afaik). On top of that, they also have a larger number of people who are waiting to start work.
starry skies
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get your point, but I still reckon that September to June - and that's without even having a vague inkling of where you're going to end up - is excessive. Not complaining, just want to actually start earning again!
Prince Rhyus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Quite a few people pull out of the Fast Stream because something "better" comes along. I don't envy the people who have to place FSers - the problem is that the Gershon cuts decimated HR departments (my old one went from a team of about 12 down to 2) which has had a knockon effect.

The term "bureaucracy" has too many negative connortuations to it as a result of shortcomings and bad publicity. A good bureaucracy can have things running like clockwork - see http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...development.uk for examples of good and back bureaucracy at work.

So yes, do keep up the pressure on them - or rather the decision makers up top.
gt94sss2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
eek wish I'd read that BEFORE I posted my form! Didn't make it to stage 2 FSB so crossing my fingers for MOD or HO.
Sorry to hear you didn't make Stage 2 of the FSB :/

I suspect you can always call the FS Placement office and ask to alter your FAF..
gt94sss2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prince Rhyus)
So Angel_Cake, the reassurance is spot-on. Your first post is likely to be a policy development post - i.e. where the high level stuff has been set and you have responsibility for the detail and implementation - for example putting together a marketing and communications plan on a specific issue. It wouldn't surprise me if a fast streamer in the Home Office was behind the idea to get teenagers involved in the adverts against knife crime. (I'd like to think it wasn't outside consultants!)

You'll be surprised how big a potential impact you can have on a given policy area. Especially when you see an advert in a magazine or newspaper that you put together and composed the wording for.
Or in other words - think about some of the crazier policies the government comes up with and then think back to all those crazy sounding policies all we candidates came up with during the briefing exercises at the assessment centre! (and then look in the newspaper in a years time!)

Seriously though, I don't know what life is like in the Foreign Office but I did work once spend a couple of years as an policy HEO in a government department on its 'flagship' policy - which then went horribly wrong when the relevant Executive Agency came to implement it..

As such, I would agree with PR that being a HEO in a policy role does effectively mean you get a lot of policy development experience, meet stakeholders etc and get to know that policy inside out and also normally do have a surprising amount of input into the final outcomes - and I imagine if a Fast Streamer it will be even greater than being a normal HEO.

I suspect with the FCO ones ability to effect policy like this will be a lot less..
gt94sss2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get your point, but I still reckon that September to June - and that's without even having a vague inkling of where you're going to end up - is excessive.
There is also the very large number of applications the FS receive compared to other employers. However, I agree they could do the FSAC assessment days more closely together rather than having a couple each week for 3 months +.

At least we are not on the 'old system' - i.e. before they introduced the online tests/electronic e-tray etc.

As my friend tells it, at that time, everyone had to go to an examination centre for each stage of the process - which then all needed to be marked.

Also, the 'FSAC' assessment was then a 2 day process which included 3 interviews (one with each assessor!) - it added months onto the process.

We are going through the 'quicker' process!
gt94sss2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by moley)
mine said

"Dear Fast Streamer,

Of course, I'm not sure what or whether to read anything into the difference.
As starry skies got the same version as you, I would hazard a guess that it means that, as you both scored relatively highly (i.e. FCO FSB shortlist), they expect to place you with a department pretty quickly as they do so in 'merit order'.

moley's friend may have a lower FSAC score and thus be further down the list.. hence the different wording.

Though obviously, I don't know what any of your FSAC scores are.. so its just a theory!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (906)
79.96%
Leave (227)
20.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed