The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
for those of you who were successful this year, what are you doing for accomodation? Does the fast stream help to match up people looking to rent within London? Do the majority rent in London or commute in every day? Is anyone looking for a roomate/have any advice on finding a roomate?
Hello all,
I'm due to go for an "In Service" FS AC interview etc very soon and found this thread. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this recently and has any advice. I'm older (too old !) and I've been away from education for a long time. Somehow though I got through the online test and exam stage, so if anyone did this last year or has any relevant experience I'd appreciate the help. Good luck to anyone else applying.
jamesprivate
Hello all,
I'm due to go for an "In Service" FS AC interview etc very soon and found this thread. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this recently and has any advice. I'm older (too old !) and I've been away from education for a long time. Somehow though I got through the online test and exam stage, so if anyone did this last year or has any relevant experience I'd appreciate the help. Good luck to anyone else applying.

Went through the in-service route myself. The advice is the same as anyone else as the assessment centres are the same for both routes.

You should be familiar with the policy and briefing work anyway, so no further advice required. (If you've not done either, speak to someone who does either or both on a regular basis.)

As for the interview - and this goes for any job interview, don't bluff anything - most interviewers are experts - the FSAC ones definitely are, and know every trick in the book. (This includes using examples when things could have gone wrong but didn't coz of what you did when asked how you reacted to something really bad.)

When you are telling the truth, you find you don't have to think about stuff so much and are less likely to get caught out.

As for who lives where, it varies. I've done both - used to live in London, currently commuting but will be moving back in the autumn. Living in London makes more sense because otherwise you find you have no work-life balance. losing 3 hours a day every day through travel is too much, even if it does get you out of the big smoke.
hellooooo

haven't posted before - although have found this very useful during the last bit of the process, thank you everyone for being much more cyberly active/compotent than me!

I've just heard i've got into Defra - which is PERFECT for me. I wanted to ask anyone who has had experience in this - whether starting with all the other fast streamers (in September) is advised. I'm currently in West Africa working for a semi-relevant NGO. I was supposed to be here til early November, but I don't want to miss out on having a better induction (because it would be shared with others) than I'd have if i started alone. The woman I'm emailing at Defra says it would be mainly the social element I'd miss - but i'm sure this would include a lot of benefit in terms of not being such a new kid at Big School.

ALSO!! does anyone know what happens during elections? Does everything go mad, or is there relative stability? Not to obsess about future evils but if the Tories get in, what is the chance of relatively new fast streamers being horribly sacked??? (other than depending on success in the job etc)

Thank you!

p.s. what 'cut' or 'reform' led to civil servants no longer using a greeting in emails other than your name...imagine the riots if people started saying 'hi Prince Rhys' instead of just yelling?? oh the possibilities!
now wash your hands

p.s. what 'cut' or 'reform' led to civil servants no longer using a greeting in emails other than your name...imagine the riots if people started saying 'hi Prince Rhys' instead of just yelling?? oh the possibilities!

The Gershon review. :mad:
Why oh why oh why have I still not heard? It's killing me. Now approaching the end of the 6 weeks so should hear something soon....I hope...
Angel_Cake
Why oh why oh why have I still not heard? It's killing me. Now approaching the end of the 6 weeks so should hear something soon....I hope...

Keep pestering them - keeps them on their toes!
Reply 607
angel_cake - really do pester them. i sent an email to alison bennett at the fsassignments address, she didn't reply, so two days later i sent another! she got back to me the next day and the day after that i actually found out ........ i felt cheeky sending the second email, but at least it got them to do something!
I've just found out I'm going to the Department of Health. Can't for the life of me remember why I put it at the top of the list though... but I'm sure it will be fun! Anyone else going there?
Reply 609
now wash your hands
ALSO!! does anyone know what happens during elections? Does everything go mad, or is there relative stability? Not to obsess about future evils but if the Tories get in, what is the chance of relatively new fast streamers being horribly sacked??? (other than depending on success in the job etc)

I've done 'election time' at Defra before - everything goes dead before an election, in that Ministers are out campaigning and all government departments enter 'purdah' which is the time between the announcement and holding of an election. During this time any governmental activities that may be construed as potentially benefiting or promoting a specific political party or prospective candidate are halted or suspended.

Hence, even if you prepare a policy submission, nothing gets done/decided.

After the election it depends - if you continue to have the same Ministers as before life goes on as normal.. but if you get a new set of Ministers, then all the key policy areas will have to brief them in their first few days in office and its worth preparing for this possibility just in case.

Civil Servants aren't sacked - they tend to be offered 'early retirement' or redundancy.. but Fast Streamers jobs will be safe as you/I etc have been 'earmarked' for future development and with all the expense of training/recruiting us.

FWIT, Defra went through a largish voluntary redundancy exercise earlier this year, so I woudn't expect any more cuts there for several years..
At election time, we (the civil service) run the country. Have you ever notice that little bad stuff seems to happen when we're in charge? :biggrin:

As far as civil servants getting sacked, I've known of a few people having been dismissed - or effectively being forced to resign for gross misconduct. One of the biggest complaints within the civil service that comes from civil servants is that departments are not good at dealing with poor performance. This is why there is now a much greater focus on effective management.
Reply 611
Just wondering if anyone here was considering applying for the Diversity Internship Programme for ethnic minority candidates?

I was thinking of applying for next years summer holiday. Has anyone here applied in the past or is planning to?

I dont really know much about the programme and havent heard of anyone taking part.

Ohh if you reply to this please you could do me a favour and quote me. Thanks.
Truman
Just wondering if anyone here was considering applying for the Diversity Internship Programme for ethnic minority candidates?

I was thinking of applying for next years summer holiday. Has anyone here applied in the past or is planning to?

I dont really know much about the programme and havent heard of anyone taking part.

Ohh if you reply to this please you could do me a favour and quote me. Thanks.

Applied for http://www.windsor-fellowship.org/ in 2000 but got turned down for it - but never get any feedback for it. But from what they offer, it's worth a look, esp if you're not sure which career path you want to go down.
Reply 613
Prince Rhyus
Applied for http://www.windsor-fellowship.org/ in 2000 but got turned down for it - but never get any feedback for it. But from what they offer, it's worth a look, esp if you're not sure which career path you want to go down.

Thanks for the link. Ive been on that site before but im not sure whether its right for me. Im going into my second year of uni in september so the only scheme id be eligible for is the passport to employment and i dont really think it looks that great from the site. I mean if you get skills seminars and a placement within a company/public service body it would be worth doing but if its just a load of 'leadership training' i wouldnt be so keen.
ldargh
for those of you who were successful this year, what are you doing for accomodation? Does the fast stream help to match up people looking to rent within London? Do the majority rent in London or commute in every day? Is anyone looking for a roomate/have any advice on finding a roomate?

Living outside London isn't ideal, particularly for late nights, although I guess it depends on what train route you'll be living on. Gumtree or similar sites are probably your best bet. I'm thinking of either looking for somewhere between Tufnell Park and West Hampstead, or Clapham to Brockley. Fortunately I can commute from my parents' house in the short term.
Reply 615
Hello all. I found out last week I'm heading to the Treasury. An interesting time and place to start! It's a good department, as they all are, so I'm pleased but I really wasn't expecting it. I haven't even finished my Masters in conflict/development yet, and now I find out I'll be working in a quite separate area, which I guess will mean developing a new set of skills and knowledge. Bring it on....:smile:
Is there anyone else still waiting to hear? I've emailed them, maybe that will speed things up! Beginning to worry that my email address isn't working or that it was all a big mistake and they're not going to give me a job after all.
Reply 617
tnj
Hi JWeather! I think we got copies of the same letter attachment - it said the guy was based in Sheffield and would be in touch 'shortly' .... i'm assuming that we'll be based in london but that HR etc is outsourced to sheffield. That said, the website did say that there are offices in sheffield, darlington and runcorn (i have no idea where that last one is!). Looking forward to meeting you!

You heard anything else yet TNJ?
Reply 618
re: heard anything yet?

Nope. :-( i've been away for a few days so i was really hoping to hear today when i checked my mail, but quelle surprise, nothing nadda nil zilch. i'll post if i hear anything.
Reply 619
I'm starting at the MoJ in September with Performance Management as my first post! Bit surprised, but I've been to visit them and I think its going to be really interesting and a chance to get a good overview of the department.
Does anyone else know if they are joining the MoJ? Would be nice to meet some of you!

Latest

Trending

Trending