Civil Service Faststream Watch

This discussion is closed.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Adarah)
I feel happier applying for the one that needs a 2:2 - I've always been on course for a 2:1, except now! I have 59.something% now!!! :woo:
Oh and thats fine, I was on 58% going into my final year but pulled that above 60% by the end so it was all gd - I wouldnt let that put you off.
Adarah
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Oh and thats fine, I was on 58% going into my final year but pulled that above 60% by the end so it was all gd - I wouldnt let that put you off.
I do think i'll get a 2:1 in the end - i'd better!!! :rolleyes: But i don't know what they think about people who apply for 2:1 jobs when they aren't currently on a 2:1. I'm going to beg my personal tutor to predict me a 2:1, so that if i apply for jobs, then I have a good reason to tell people I'm predicted a 2:1 other than my own judgement.
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I only meant there isn't anything stopping someone with a history degree applying to sci/eng - and that they may/would only get told no at the final selection board but who knows...? Its unlikely they would apply though.

In comparison for stats/economics it says 'To apply to the Economist Fast Stream, you must have a 2:1 degree or postgraduate degree in economics. Joint or mixed degrees are acceptable, provided the major element of the degree is economics.' (and the stats equivalent)

Tech in Business runs along side other applications just by 'adding another scheme to application' which is a button after you log in under applications I think.

Basically everything including the assessment centre is the same but they have different pass marks at the assessment centre so you can get through for one but not the other lets say. Tech in Business then has a final selection board but even so it still increases your chances of a fast stream place by adding it. If you get offered both then you can choose which scheme to take up.
Hey, that's really good to know, thanks a lot! I will definitely be looking into tech in business as well then.
are you on that scheme right now? What's it like?
Thanks again for being so helpful!
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Yup just started week three so I can't give a great description so far but the idea is to give people (as well as the normal fast stream training but less policy experience) all they need to become department IT heads. Since the IT spend in my dept is around £300M a year - thats quite big.

Also since your applying for what would be year three of a scheme its a great time to get involved and theres a lot of effort being put into it. For instance so far I've been to Chester, Newcastle, London, Sheffield and Leeds as a part of my induction. Blackpool later this week.

Anyhow its something to think about.
Definitely, that does sound very cool so far :cool: . Congrats on getting the job, the fast stream is increadibly competitive :eek: !

I didn't realise you could apply for more than one scheme, so thanks a lot!

ha, now just hope i don't get kicked out in the first round :rolleyes: .
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't realise you could apply for more than one scheme, so thanks a lot!

ha, now just hope i don't get kicked out in the first round :rolleyes: .
Its quite common for people to apply to graduate fast stream and the ultra competitive GCHQ (although they only share the online tests). I assume economists/stats people apply for graduate fast stream as well quite often too.

Only one way to find out! (since your applying early it will take a while to find out though)
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Its quite common for people to apply to graduate fast stream and the ultra competitive GCHQ (although they only share the online tests). I assume economists/stats people apply for graduate fast stream as well quite often too.

Only one way to find out! (since your applying early it will take a while to find out though)
Haha, I'm not even interested in the GCHQ scheme at all. yeah, i will just try and see what happens! I need my passport first to even register, won't be anywhere near my passport until wednesday, hehe.
sherrybaby
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I do think i'll get a 2:1 in the end - i'd better!!! :rolleyes: But i don't know what they think about people who apply for 2:1 jobs when they aren't currently on a 2:1. I'm going to beg my personal tutor to predict me a 2:1, so that if i apply for jobs, then I have a good reason to tell people I'm predicted a 2:1 other than my own judgement.
By the way, at least for the GFS, no information about what grade you are predicted, what university you go to, or what course you do will be used to help decide whether or not you are offered a job.
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sherrybaby)
By the way, at least for the GFS, no information about what grade you are predicted, what university you go to, or what course you do will be used to help decide whether or not you are offered a job.
are you sure that's not just the first 1 or two stages of the process. :confused: Cause surely they have to take your grades, what uni you went to and what course it was into consideration. Otherwise someone from Thames Vally uni studying some really easy coures could just apply for the graduate scheme with a 3rd.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
are you sure that's not just the first 1 or two stages of the process. :confused: Cause surely they have to take your grades, what uni you went to and what course it was into consideration. Otherwise someone from Thames Vally uni studying some really easy coures could just apply for the graduate scheme with a 3rd.
No they were 100% correct
They wouldn't get in with a 3rd (probably) the requirement is a 2.2
The process is thorough enough that if you get in your good enough if you dont you werent.
Have a look at the fast stream recruitment reports to see where people applied/got in from.
S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just got my application done for Government Statistical Service Fast Stream, it's taken all day! I've forgotten a lot of what I've learnt in the two previous years.
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
No they were 100% correct
They wouldn't get in with a 3rd (probably) the requirement is a 2.2
The process is thorough enough that if you get in your good enough if you dont you werent.
Have a look at the fast stream recruitment reports to see where people applied/got in from.
so they do check, for the minimum requirements and then they use different people to interview you so that they don't remember who went to what university, studying what and which grades they have?
Ok, seems, very, very weird to me, but oh well.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so they do check, for the minimum requirements and then they use different people to interview you so that they don't remember who went to what university, studying what and which grades they have?
Ok, seems, very, very weird to me, but oh well.
From what I remember one of about 3 drop down questions when you apply is: I have attained or will attain a 2.2 degree
(the others are about citizenship I think)

the panel of people assessing you (if you get to the assessment centre) will not have seen your application form with your Uni on (it might also have asked for your year averages but nobody reads them anyway).

If sucessful you send in an original transcript of your degree certificate to authenticate your degree.

The interviewer knows nothing about you, doesn't even know if your applying for sci/eng or tech in business or diplomacy or central depts.
axle77
Report 10 years ago
I dont think practising the numerical or the verbal questions from the amazon book is that useful . Online is probably best because thats the exam format; I spent this time last year doing as many online questions as possible. There is a website which looks fairly good and they state that it is fast stream focussed called www.faststreamprep.co.uk.
btw I managed to defer entry to next year to finish off the PhD (with some luck) and the Clerkships people were happy to give me the time! Cant wait to start though!!
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
From what I remember one of about 3 drop down questions when you apply is: I have attained or will attain a 2.2 degree
(the others are about citizenship I think)

the panel of people assessing you (if you get to the assessment centre) will not have seen your application form with your Uni on (it might also have asked for your year averages but nobody reads them anyway).

If sucessful you send in an original transcript of your degree certificate to authenticate your degree.

The interviewer knows nothing about you, doesn't even know if your applying for sci/eng or tech in business or diplomacy or central depts.
WOW that's so weird! :eek: Urgh, I was hoping they would be checking up on your knowledge in science policy and other such things. And I thought my work experience and the courses I've done would be very good. And my language skills? Do they know about any of that stuff? Seems so odd that nothing like that would count at all. What if someone had a masters, would they know someone had a PhD or masters instead of a bachelors?
Sorry :o:
I just find this whole application process very odd :confused: , it makes less and less sense at the moment.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
WOW that's so weird! :eek: Urgh, I was hoping they would be checking up on your knowledge in science policy and other such things. And I thought my work experience and the courses I've done would be very good. And my language skills? Do they know about any of that stuff? Seems so odd that nothing like that would count at all. What if someone had a masters, would they know someone had a PhD or masters instead of a bachelors?
Sorry :o:
I just find this whole application process very odd :confused: , it makes less and less sense at the moment.
Why would a masters or PhD matter? Either you pass the assessments or you don't

If the extra education/experience has actually counted for anything you'll be better in the assessments - simple as. Surely thats 'fairer' than somebody better at the job being rejected in favour of a worse candidate just because they have yet to do a PhD or masters.

Work Ex helps a lot during the interview.

You get a 4 page report on your performance at the assessment centre (if you get there) - its a thorough assessment so it just doesn't matter.

Thats the thinking anyhow.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by axle77)
I dont think practising the numerical or the verbal questions from the amazon book is that useful . Online is probably best because thats the exam format; I spent this time last year doing as many online questions as possible. There is a website which looks fairly good and they state that it is fast stream focussed called www.faststreamprep.co.uk.
btw I managed to defer entry to next year to finish off the PhD (with some luck) and the Clerkships people were happy to give me the time! Cant wait to start though!!
Did you use them?
£45 seems a bit steep just to try and improve your chances of getting to the final 3000 :P
my 2 cents would just to give the fast stream practise ones a go, perhaps apply to some other places (the banks) for more free dummy runs.
Or just be good.
axle77
Report 10 years ago
the masters and the PhD dont make that much difference.... work experience mattered most at the interviews- I used examples from work to answer most of the competency based questions... I dont think they knew that I had a masters and was studying for a PhD...
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Why would a masters or PhD matter? Either you pass the assessments or you don't

If the extra education/experience has actually counted for anything you'll be better in the assessments - simple as. Surely thats 'fairer' than somebody better at the job being rejected in favour of a worse candidate just because they have yet to do a PhD or masters.

Work Ex helps a lot during the interview.

You get a 4 page report on your performance at the assessment centre (if you get there) - its a thorough assessment so it just doesn't matter.

Thats the thinking anyhow.
hmmm... I suppose... I'm not quite convinced, but that doesn't really matter, does it?
axle77
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Did you use them?
£45 seems a bit steep just to try and improve your chances of getting to the final 3000 :P
my 2 cents would just to give the fast stream practise ones a go, perhaps apply to some other places (the banks) for more free dummy runs.
Or just be good.

No, didnt use it myself.. I think its a new website. However, I would have used it; getting in as much practise as possible helps to improve the chances of moving from being in the 15,000 to the 3000 for the next stage. Its so competitive; Take your point about the price though....are they offering 5 full mock exams??
Adarah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by axle77)
the masters and the PhD dont make that much difference.... work experience mattered most at the interviews- I used examples from work to answer most of the competency based questions... I dont think they knew that I had a masters and was studying for a PhD...
well, I'm glad I didn't do any work experience at my university then .

none of my work experience will give away that I'm studying physics. I've been a free lance journalist and illustrator, an English teacher and currently work at the student uni bar :rolleyes: .
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (192)
27.79%
No (499)
72.21%

Watched Threads