Turn on thread page Beta

Civil Service Faststream watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moley)
    They have an expenses policy - log-in to the faststream website and it should be there on the left hand side
    Thanks. I was looking at it without being logged in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truman)
    Is anyone applying to the diversity internship for this summer?

I was considering it but was hoping someone could tell me a bit about the process. I wouldnt know how to prepare for the application.....seeing as their are so many different departments i wouldnt know which one to research? Or are they looking for general skills over specific knowledge?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
    Might be worth actually asking this in a specific thread as most people using this thread are probably just concerned about information directly regarding the Fast Stream application process. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry skies)
    Might be worth actually asking this in a specific thread as most people using this thread are probably just concerned about information directly regarding the Fast Stream application process. Good luck
    Thanks for the reply and suggestion

ReputationRep:
    Guys

Big apologies in advance for not reading through the thread, but I don't have time really so here goes:-

Quite surprisingly, I seem to have passed the online tests.

Can anyone please answer the following:-

1. What is the etray exercise all about? Never even heard of one of these as I graduated about 10 years ago!! Can you practise them? Any advice?

2. I have not yet submitted my application form, whcih I think will trigger the etray exercise - I find the deadlines a bit irritating (nearly messed up my holiday because I had to do the competency questionnaire when I got back before midnight). How long will you have to do the etray from submission of application form? a week?

3. I am off shortly to do a language course in France. Are you able to say when you will/will not be available for the assessment centre etc? I don't want to be given a date in the middle of my course (assuming I even get that far)....

Thank you in advance.

M

ReputationRep:
    1. An e-tray is an electronic version of an in-tray exercise. You get given a scenario (e.g. "your" dept is planning to open a centre for troubled youths in the Lake District, with al the local oppostion and varying opinions that throws up. You then get a series of e-mails in your "inbox" which you have to respond to by selecting what you consider the most and least appropriate responses of those supplied. (This might change to having to provide your own answer, I think they were re-jigging this year). As you "answer" e-mails, more come in, and you need to try and answer all e-mails within the requisite time. The 2nd part of the e-tray is to write some kind of report/reccommendation/briefing paper which is only assessed if you get to the Assessment Centre.

2. E-trays come at various time. If you're offered a date that doesn't suit you would be able to change it. For an example of time frame, I found out I passed the online tests in mid-oct and had my e-tray on 10th Dec.

3. I know people have asked for dates to be changed for their AC, though if the date
    you are offered is quite late there is less leeway as obviously there are fewer dates to choose from the later it gets on the whole recriutment process.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied for the fast stream economist role and the general scheme as well.

I have gotten through to the e-tray this week in November. However, I am also through to the Economist Assessment Centre in December. As far as I know, the Assessment centre is supposed to come before the e-tray. So is this e-tray for only the general scheme, or for both? I.e. will there be another one if I pass the economist centre?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone still 'Awaiting Results'. I am.

Its really annoying - does this pretty much mean I am not going to get the position, just I am really nervous waiting for it?

Surely some people will be on their way to getting jobs with e-tray etc by the time I get my results?

Thanks for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d674mt)

Its really annoying - does this pretty much mean I am not going to get the position, just I am really nervous waiting for it?

Surely some people will be on their way to getting jobs with e-tray etc by the time I get my results?

Thanks for help.
    The whole reason your waiting is to make the system perfectly fair on every candidate. 'on their way to jobs'? What do you mean? Assessment centres start around the 22nd Jan and continue through to mid April.

Being last at every stage is no hinderence as long as you make the final hurdle.

ReputationRep:
    "on their way to jobs"? :rofl:

Seriously, I applied last September and have just finished my 2nd week as a fast streamer. Really, it's not worth stressing about having to wait. You've done all you can for this particular stage, and patience is a skill you'll have to learn over the next few months

ReputationRep:
    Count yourself lucky, as you know it could have been next June before you were in that position :P
    some unlucky person will be...

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks between announcement of results and my start date. No time to breathe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d674mt)

Thanks for help.
    I was 'awaiting results' until last possible moment for both e-tray and FSAC, but was successful in the end. Being made to wait a long time is not necessarily a bad thing (read last year's FS thread...I seem to remember all the remaining few getting their results around the end of April, people posted as they got their results, and about half were successful)

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody taken this years e-tray yet? I have mine on the 12th of January. I hate waiting, but having taken two hours to read this whole thread, waiting seems quite an integral part of the FS process :rolleyes: ...

ReputationRep:
    NM. Have just found a thread for this years FS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNose)
    Has anybody taken this years e-tray yet? I have mine on the 12th of January. I hate waiting, but having taken two hours to read this whole thread, waiting seems quite an integral part of the FS process :rolleyes: ...
    Yes, if you don't like waiting this isn't the application process for you!

ReputationRep:
    Process: no.
    Final reward: who knows!

ReputationRep:
    BUMP!

Potential applicants please note that this thread is well worth taking the time to read through - there is a lot in this thread that has not been covered on the 2009 thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    BUMP!

Potential applicants please note that this thread is well worth taking the time to read through - there is a lot in this thread that has not been covered on the 2009 thread.
    Stup'd decision not to carry it on.... *fumes*

ReputationRep:
    BUMP!

Cos 2 weeks was like ages ago...

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerHow to become an online tutorCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.