Is it now compulsory to cash in grades? (2016)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As you've all probably heard of similar cases - I didn't do too well at AS; I got CCC as I underestimated the workload... However, I am now ready to work my ass off for A2 and I have asked my teachers to predict me AAB. I will be resitting all papers.

I'm now half-way through my UCAS application feeling really down as I've heard that you now have to put in your AS grades as opposed to entering "pending".

Is this true? My college has said that they are cashing in AS grades. What happens if I put "pending" on my application anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poetic_Innocence)
    As you've all probably heard of similar cases - I didn't do too well at AS; I got CCC as I underestimated the workload... However, I am now ready to work my ass off for A2 and I have asked my teachers to predict me AAB. I will be resitting all papers.

I'm now half-way through my UCAS application feeling really down as I've heard that you now have to put in your AS grades as opposed to entering "pending".

Is this true? My college has said that they are cashing in AS grades. What happens if I put "pending" on my application anyway?
    If your exam results had overall AS grades on then they've ALREADY been cashed in. Whether to cash in or not is decided in almost all cases BEFORE you're even entered for your exams.

If you don't list your AS grades then your referee at your college will probably refuse to allow your application to be sent to UCAS. One of the things referees have to do in schools and colleges is to confirm that applicants have entered their existing qualifications accurately and completely. Colleges don't want to get a reputation with universities for passing on fraudulent applications to UCAS.

And that's the core of what you're proposing. UCAS declaration CLEARLY states that you've entered ALL your qualifications. Withholding information like AS grades makes your application fraudulent. Once your application gets matched with your exam results by UCAS (either in January or August) then it will be CLEAR to your universities that you applied fraudulently and they will be well within their rights to reject your or expel you from your course if you've started.

Universities are far more accepting of poor grades (especially AS grades in subjects that are now linear A levels) than they are of people who apply fraudulently trying to trick them into accepting an unsuitable candidate.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i need some info.

In some of my old exams i got a U Grade, i.e. on results day when i went to school on my results slip with my other grades there was an U for chemistry. Now, as AQA don't certificate U grades i did not receive a certificate for chemistry. my question is

Has the U grade been known as 'cashed-in'? im still unsure about this

and as it has not been certificated to i need to put this U grade on my UCAS thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi i need some info. In some of my old exams i got a U Grade, i.e. on results day when i went to school on my results slip with my other grades there was an U for chemistry. Now, as AQA don't certificate U grades i did not receive a certificate for chemistry. my question is Has the U grade been known as 'cashed-in'? im still unsure about this and as it has not been certificated to i need to put this U grade on my UCAS thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wqerwr)
    Hi i need some info.

In some of my old exams i got a U Grade, i.e. on results day when i went to school on my results slip with my other grades there was an U for chemistry. Now, as AQA don't certificate U grades i did not receive a certificate for chemistry. my question is

Has the U grade been known as 'cashed-in'? im still unsure about this

and as it has not been certificated to i need to put this U grade on my UCAS thanks
    If you had an overall grade then your results were cashed in and you must declare them

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.