is this the correct way to tone up?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im not really a gym person i prefer to do it all at home, so i went on youtube and looked for specific workouts that suited my needs and downloaded em.

im a slim girl (size 8) so the routines ive got is just general cardio and toning certain parts of my body. im not after losing weight.

while doing these workouts ive been eating more food so i dont end up losing weight (i really dont want to lose it) as a result of doing exercise.

tips would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Do heavy deadlifts, squats and bench press. You'll "tone" (the term you're looking for is recomposition) excellently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexFam)
    Do heavy deadlifts, squats and bench press. You'll "tone" (the term you're looking for is recomposition) excellently.
    i dont want to tone my arms tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    i dont want to tone my arms tho
    There's no way to avoid that. What you're talking about is losing fat and gaining muscle. Losing fat happens all over the body, not where you want it to.

Also: you're a woman. You're not going to get huge unless you start taking some PEDs or eat a bunch. Your upper body will always be much smaller comparatively. Consider the health implications of disproportionately training muscle groups. You will be incredibly unbalanced and be prone to both injuries and general discomfort as your posture will be terrible.

(Original post by mkap)
    im not really a gym person i prefer to do it all at home, so i went on youtube and looked for specific workouts that suited my needs and downloaded em.

im a slim girl (size 8) so the routines ive got is just general cardio and toning certain parts of my body. im not after losing weight.

while doing these workouts ive been eating more food so i dont end up losing weight (i really dont want to lose it) as a result of doing exercise.

tips would be appreciated
    Its a myth and you should spend soem time to appreciate how it really works.

Cardio is really for cardiovascular health- good heart and lungs plys burns calories.
    Resistance is fior muscles and strength.

Diet reduces bodyfat.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/...of-toning.html

ReputationRep:
    No, you cannot "tone" a particular bodypart, looking toned is a function of low bodyfat, which is achieved with a calorie deficit (diet), you will need to lose weight and ideally lift weights if you want to tone up.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just sort this out: muscle tone is the resistance to stretching of a muscle. Losing fat isn't toning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    just general cardio and toning certain parts of my body. im not after losing weight.

:top:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.