Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Batley and Spen by-election, 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Who will win the by-election ?
    Labour
    100.00%
    Liberty GB
    0%
    National Front
    0%
    BNP
    0%
    English Democrats
    0%

ReputationRep:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batley...election,_2016

Who should my brother vote for ? He lives in the area.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Therec00)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batley...election,_2016

Who should my brother vote for ? He lives in the area.
    If my parents actually vote then it will probably be the BNP. It was my constituency until last November.

Shame the Tories did not run, while a hard task (the swing needed is about 6%) there's no love for Corbyn's pro immigration whaffle being on the edge of Bradford.

For those who want a picture of the constituency Batley and Heckmonwike are pretty deprived with a high Pakistani/Indian population and hence are solid Labour (Heckmondwike did elect a BNP councillor) however Birstall, Birkenshaw, Liversage, Gomersal and Cleckheaton are all pretty middle class and mostly nice, they tend to vote Tory or Lib Dem at council level. Anti-immigrant sentiment is pretty high across the constituency (the immigrants in Bradford, Batley and Dewsbury are mainly of Pakistani/Indian origin) with generally high Ukip totals (18% i think).

When boundary changes occur in 2018 the new seat will basically drop Batley so there's a very good chance that it will go blue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If my parents actually vote then it will probably be the BNP. It was my constituency until last November.

Shame the Tories did not run, while a hard task (the swing needed is about 6%) there's no love for Corbyn's pro immigration whaffle being on the edge of Bradford.

For those who want a picture of the constituency Batley and Heckmonwike are pretty deprived with a high Pakistani/Indian population and hence are solid Labour (Heckmondwike did elect a BNP councillor) however Birstall, Birkenshaw, Liversage, Gomersal and Cleckheaton are all pretty middle class and mostly nice, they tend to vote Tory or Lib Dem at council level. Anti-immigrant sentiment is pretty high across the constituency (the immigrants in Bradford, Batley and Dewsbury are mainly of Pakistani/Indian origin) with generally high Ukip totals (18% i think).

When boundary changes occur in 2018 the new seat will basically drop Batley so there's a very good chance that it will go blue.
    This is a really detailed post!

ReputationRep:
    Lol just did some research. Turns out that a ukip member will stand as an independent and he's an Asian man.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    This is a really detailed post!
    I lived in Batley from 2-5, Birstall from 5-10, Birkenshaw from 11- 22 and my parents now live in Cleckheaton. If i was purchasing a house then it would be in Birstall/Birkenshaw, other than some left over bits of estates they are pretty lovely.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the tories?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    Where's the tories?
    Tories, Kippers and Libs are not contesting the by-election.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Rightfully so. *
    Their decisions not to stand show that there is a small bit of decency left in politics.

ReputationRep:
    df

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.