Doctor for depression

Announcements

Please keep anon.

A couple of months ago I started the pill and believed that I felt pretty much the same apart from when I came on my period my pms was twice as bad. I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago as I didn't like these symptoms. For the last month or so I have felt really really low and I don't know why. I am arguing loads with my boyfriend and although I think I am justified at times, I just cannot get myself out of the bad mood even if it was a very minor argument. I feel bored and irritable all of the time.

I am thinking of going to the doctor about this because I feel scared sometimes that I feel so low and I don't understand whats going on.I don't know who I am anymore. I have never been to the doctor about this before and have no idea what to say. Could anyone give me any advice or information on what to expect? I am usually quite direct but feel weird about going straight in and saying 'I feel depressed' especially as I am good at concealing my emotions.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon.

A couple of months ago I started the pill and believed that I felt pretty much the same apart from when I came on my period my pms was twice as bad. I stopped taking the pill a few weeks ago as I didn't like these symptoms. For the last month or so I have felt really really low and I don't know why. I am arguing loads with my boyfriend and although I think I am justified at times, I just cannot get myself out of the bad mood even if it was a very minor argument. I feel bored and irritable all of the time.

I am thinking of going to the doctor about this because I feel scared sometimes that I feel so low and I don't understand whats going on.I don't know who I am anymore. I have never been to the doctor about this before and have no idea what to say. Could anyone give me any advice or information on what to expect? I am usually quite direct but feel weird about going straight in and saying 'I feel depressed' especially as I am good at concealing my emotions.

Thanks in advance.
    First off, you are making a good choice in going to the doctor. It can be a difficult decision for some and is actually a big step in recovery so well done

You can look on mind.org for some good advice on depression and other mh issues including your first doctors appointment.

My advice to you would be to write things down before you go in and either hand that note to them or just keep it as a back up incase you freeze up. It can be quite a nerve wracking experience and is common to forget things or freeze up while you're there.
    The doctor will probably ask you a few questions, give you a questionaire and ask you to tell you how it affects you. It is possible they will want to wait a while before treatment. In some cases they might want to wait and see if it improves by itself. If you leave feeling like you weren't taken seriously or nothing was done about it, go back later. You can also ask to see a different doctor if you want.

If you have any specific concerns or questions feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon.

Thanks in advance.
    You could just go in and tell the doctor exactly what you told us. Some people even just write down what they want to say, or how they're feeling, and pass that to the doctor. Any way you choose to say it is really fine. You're saying it, and that's the important thing.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.