The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
when did you have your interview
Know what you mean, totally stressed and nervous! Can't wait to get it over with tomorrow!! I think they will tick off leading and communicating through both the manner in which you conduct the interview, and if you make references within your other competency answers..as surely that will count too! As to the question about the statements given earlier in the application process, they were for making effective decisions, and leading & communicating! Good luck everyone!
Reply 722
good luck to you too
Can anyone else who has already had their interview shed some more light on the process? I've just read somewhere else that we will be timed for each competency question - 8 minutes per question.
Original post by webster89
Can anyone else who has already had their interview shed some more light on the process? I've just read somewhere else that we will be timed for each competency question - 8 minutes per question.

No not 8 minutes per question. You have 45 minutes in total. They will keep asking questions until you have given your best. You know you have done well if they run out of questions before the 45 minutes is up.

The most stressful part is the prep. But you may find that if you rehearse exact answers, they won't fit with the questions they ask, and you will have to find your answers on the spot. Just relax and enjoy the experience. Let it flow naturally, and if you are good enough and are what they are looking for, you will get through.

I'm constantly checking my emails several times a day waiting to see if my interview is successful or not. This waiting part after the interview is the most stressful bit!
Original post by tookitallin
No not 8 minutes per question. You have 45 minutes in total. They will keep asking questions until you have given your best. You know you have done well if they run out of questions before the 45 minutes is up.

The most stressful part is the prep. But you may find that if you rehearse exact answers, they won't fit with the questions they ask, and you will have to find your answers on the spot. Just relax and enjoy the experience. Let it flow naturally, and if you are good enough and are what they are looking for, you will get through.

I'm constantly checking my emails several times a day waiting to see if my interview is successful or not. This waiting part after the interview is the most stressful bit!

So would you agree if you know your example and the behaviours well you can't go far wrong? I have three solid examples. I'm going to think of additional ones, but I'm hoping not to need them?
Original post by Sk80gse
So would you agree if you know your example and the behaviours well you can't go far wrong? I have three solid examples. I'm going to think of additional ones, but I'm hoping not to need them?

I would certainly agree with that based on my own experience. If you feel they are really solid its unlikely they'll ask for secondary ones, however theres no harm in having rough backups just in case.
Original post by tookitallin

So how did they phrase the questions they asked? Were they scenarios or were they something like "describe a time...", "give an example of where you have..."? The pack states that the interview is supposed to be fair and we're all asked to do the same things, yet people are saying different things about how they were interviewed. It's making me panic! I'm busy prepping for Friday
So how did they phrase the questions they asked? Were they scenarios or were they something like "describe a time...", "give an example of where you have..."? The pack states that the interview is supposed to be fair and we're all asked to do the same things, yet people are saying different things about how they were interviewed. It's making me panic! I'm busy prepping for Friday

I think that's just individual interpretation though? And based on past experience of interviews abc if they know the civil service style. I think the first question for each comp will be quite open, and then further ones more specific?
A couple of people have said the questions were initiated with things like "You are working on the phones with a large call queue and are asked to do something else. You don't agree with what you are being asked to do, how do you react?". I know what the scenario is asking and what behaviours I need to show, but I really don't think I'd enjoy the interview if the questions were done like this!
A couple of people have said the questions were initiated with things like "You are working on the phones with a large call queue and are asked to do something else. You don't agree with what you are being asked to do, how do you react?". I know what the scenario is asking and what behaviours I need to show, but I really don't think I'd enjoy the interview if the questions were done like this!

I wouldn't like that either. I haven't read anyone give such examples, only that the questions were specific. I don't see how they could do this when the pack says something different? Surely that's unfair and setting you up to fail. I have attended a civil service interview were this was the case, but I was told as much before turning up.

I find this sort of question difficult on the spot.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm pretty sure that they can't, and probably haven't done this. Those are "situational" style competencies unlike the example based ones that we've prepared. Given the fact that the campaign needs to be consistent and fair, I highly doubt anyone would be presented with that kind of question, my interview and in fact pretty much the entire process so far, has been exactly as stated within the candidate information pack.

Perhaps I've missed it, but has anyone actually said they've been asked a participate in a scenario based competency so far within this thread ?

They definitely don't ask scenario based questions like that. They ask you for examples of times where you have shown each competency. You can take the examples from anything in your life, whether its work, study or something you have done or achieved in your own time - as long as you are showing that you are competent then its ok.

They ask you one main question for each of the 3 competencies, then they may ask extra questions - they are helping you by doing this, they want you to be sucessful and show your best.
Original post by daveireland20
I'm pretty sure that they can't, and probably haven't done this. Those are "situational" style competencies unlike the example based ones that we've prepared. Given the fact that the campaign needs to be consistent and fair, I highly doubt anyone would be presented with that kind of question, my interview and in fact pretty much the entire process so far, has been exactly as stated within the candidate information pack.

Perhaps I've missed it, but has anyone actually said they've been asked a participate in a scenario based competency so far within this thread ?

That's exactly what I mean. I think someone did say they ha a question which was very specific, but I think that's probably down to the course and coversatonal style of the interview. The key here is to understand the behaviours really really well.
Reply 734
any example of questions you have been asked
Original post by hco786
any example of questions you have been asked

The questions they ask are obvious if you read the behaviours. Use them as a checklist against your exabples.
Has anyone had an interview for Stratford been given any indication of when they'll be making offers?
Just out of my interview in Cardiff. Just as expected! Two people. Two ice breakers (what do you currently do, why do you want to work here), then straight in with lengthy/detailed questions asking for evidence of a time when etc. A few follow-up questions from them. Time for me to ask any questions at the end. It lasted about 30mins..hoping thats a good sign as they didnt need to ask me too much?! Who knows.. They said we should have an outcome this side of Christmas with a start date in January but timescales weren't definite. Glad its over..good luck to those still to do it! It's not scary, I promise :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by katchooon
Just out of my interview in Cardiff. Just as expected! Two people. Two ice breakers (what do you currently do, why do you want to work here), then straight in with lengthy/detailed questions asking for evidence of a time when etc. A few follow-up questions from them. Time for me to ask any questions at the end. It lasted about 30mins..hoping thats a good sign as they didnt need to ask me too much?! Who knows.. They said we should have an outcome this side of Christmas with a start date in January but timescales weren't definite. Glad its over..good luck to those still to do it! It's not scary, I promise :smile:

Mine was yesterday and went the same! :smile:
Reply 739
katchoon hi do you have a lot of work ex

Latest

Trending

Trending