The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Em1979
Oh no! Hopefully you'll feel a bit better in the morning and still do well, good luck 🍀

Thank you! I know my examples pretty well so from that point I feel ok it's just, well you want to feel your very best for interview don't you? At least if I don't do
Well I can blame it on this!
Original post by NI77
I had an interview in Belfast last Tuesday, 1st Nov - no news since.
I know they'll be interviewing at least until 3rd week of Nov.

Can anyone recall the number of positions advertised as available in Belfast? - Was it 30?

I had an interview in Belfast today. I asked about the number of positions at the end and was told that no decision had been made on the number of positions for each location as yet.
Reply 802
how many questions were you asked
Reply 803
Hi Dan

Are you serious about being asked about Collaborating and Partnering? Did you question them that this was not in the application? Did they mention anything relating to this being a different competence?
Reply 804
Original post by dan198511
I had my interview today in Bradford (for Leeds office).

They asked me questions on three competencies, Making Effective Decisions, Delivering at Pace and Collaborating and Partnering. There was not a question for Managing a Quality Service.

The Collaborationg and Partnering question really threw me. I'm pretty sure they made a mistake. I've emailed to ask how they're going to deal with it.

Hi Dan Are you serious about being asked about Collaborating and Partnering? Did you question them that this was not in the application? Did they mention anything relating to this being a different competence?
Original post by Husk24
Hi Dan Are you serious about being asked about Collaborating and Partnering? Did you question them that this was not in the application? Did they mention anything relating to this being a different competence?

Yes, seriously.

I mentioned when they asked that it wasn't one of the competencies I was expecting from the guidance but the guy just shrugged it off. Because it was the 2nd question I thought there was a chance that they were going to ask me 4 questions so I went along with it.
By the end, I guess because of nerves, I was questioning my own prep. It wasn't until I got chance to double check the guidance that I believed it had happened!

I think they did the same with another couple of candidates I spoke to afterwards.

Still no response to my email yet.
Original post by dan198511
Yes, seriously.

I mentioned when they asked that it wasn't one of the competencies I was expecting from the guidance but the guy just shrugged it off. Because it was the 2nd question I thought there was a chance that they were going to ask me 4 questions so I went along with it.
By the end, I guess because of nerves, I was questioning my own prep. It wasn't until I got chance to double check the guidance that I believed it had happened!

I think they did the same with another couple of candidates I spoke to afterwards.

Still no response to my email yet.

That is surely a gross mistake on their part as you are not being interviewed. Fairly against other candidates. I would take that all the way.
Reply 807
Very strange, im going to take the information pack if they ask me this.! This clearly disadvantaged some people
Reply 808
I dont know why people are making such a fuss!!!
Its an interview, they can assess you however they like. You should prep enough to be able to answer any competancy they ask.
Sorry to be so harsh but your applying for a 30k job and expecting them to hand it to you on a plate?? Seriously!!!
[QUOTE="Adzy11;68450394"]I dont know why people are making such a fuss!!!
Its an interview, they can assess you however they like. You should prep enough to be able to answer any competancy they ask.
Sorry to be so harsh but your applying for a 30k job and expecting them to hand it to you on a plate?? Seriously!!![/QUOTE

Excuse me! That's not very helpful. I don't think anyone has said anything to suggest it to be handed on a plate. In fact I would say making a point of discussing on this thread, quite the opposite?

The point of being asked about a competency that was not in the guidance is a very fair one. it is not giving a level playing field.
Reply 810
how long did they spend on the ice beaker questions and waht did they ask on the ice breaker questions
Reply 811
[QUOTE="Sk80gse;68450518"]
Original post by Adzy11
Sorry to be so harsh but your applying for a 30k job and expecting them to hand it to you on a plate?? Seriously!!![/QUOTE

Excuse me! That's not very helpful. I don't think anyone has said anything to suggest it to be handed on a plate. In fact I would say making a point of discussing on this thread, quite the opposite?

The point of being asked about a competency that was not in the guidance is a very fair one. it is not giving a level playing field.

Yes, I agree, it is not a level playing field. Welcome to the real world
[QUOTE="Adzy11;68450788"]
Original post by Sk80gse

Yes, I agree, it is not a level playing field. Welcome to the real world

Don't be so condescending.
I very much doubt anyone is expecting them to hand it to us on a plate. However, the fact that they focus so much on the FOUR competencies for THIS role and so much on the Guidance Pack, constantly referring us to them, they should make a point of saying that ANY competencies could be assessed. They haven't - they said there are FOUR competencies for this role, not four plus any others that they choose. So to be asked a completely different competency that has not even been mentioned in their precious guidance pack is ridiculous really and totally unfair. Oh, they also made a point of stating that the interview process has to be as fair as possible. Just to clarify :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by webster89
I very much doubt anyone is expecting them to hand it to us on a plate. However, the fact that they focus so much on the FOUR competencies for THIS role and so much on the Guidance Pack, constantly referring us to them, they should make a point of saying that ANY competencies could be assessed. They haven't - they said there are FOUR competencies for this role, not four plus any others that they choose. So to be asked a completely different competency that has not even been mentioned in their precious guidance pack is ridiculous really and totally unfair. Oh, they also made a point of stating that the interview process has to be as fair as possible. Just to clarify :wink:

Think the above person either just loves the debate or has zero experience of public sector/civil service recruitment. One of the above.

Your points are exactly right. They strive for fairness and transparency. Of course all recruitment has an element of subjectivity, but as far as it goes, the civil service is a very fair recruiter. I say this with 16 years experience in either the civil service or public sector and being married to a civil servant with 20 years experience now at senior officer level.
Reply 815
You are absolutely right. I have zero experience of the civil service sector. I have only worked in the corporate sector which has been tough, hence why this 'unfairness' matter got to me. To me this fairness/transparency sounds too good to be true.
Original post by hco786
the are running the external campaign so that they can get the best talent so they have not reserved any positions for internal candidates. they have a same merit list for both internal and external candidates and based on the top scorers will inform both external and internal candidates the final outcome.

There has been a campaign specifically for existing civil service staff .
Reply 817
[QUOTE="Sk80gse;68450518"]
Original post by Adzy11

Was Leading and communicating not a competence for the external interviews? In my interview, albeit internally, they said they wernt going to ask about that one, they would score you on your conduct and communication, basically how you presented yourself..
I had my interview today at Euston Tower.. Went exactly as I expected it to.. no surprises at all. Very sorry to the person who were asked a collaborating question. This is clearly a mistake/unfair tactic. For people saying it's a £30k job.. there are jobs which are £100k which still have specific competencies. Collaborating was not a competency they advised we would be assessed on and therefore you should absolutely challenge it. Turned up really early but was seen straight away.. someone took my photocopies then led me to the room. One man from ManPower and one woman from HMRC. ManPower man did almost all of the talking, woman from HMRC basically never looked up so I just directed everything at him. Ice breaker about what I did at the moment and what attracted me to this particular role. First question about when I'd used sources of information to make a decision, second question about improving a process to ensure a quality service and another question about obstacles meaning objectives and priorities had to be changed. All very predictable and easy to tailor to any pre-prepared example. Have to say the two other gentleman in the waiting area surprised me because of their age.. they were MUCH older than me (I'm 23). I'm not sure why but in my head everyone applying for these jobs are straight out of Uni/Sixth Form/in their mid-twenties. I asked them at the end to guarantee that there were jobs available and he said it was the largest HMRC recruitment campaign in recent times and there are PLENTY of jobs it was just a case of putting people into the right positions. Said I would get a response early December. Time to wait!

Latest

Trending

Trending