Help with making flashcards for edexcel additional science (C2)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to use a flashcard to summarise atomic structure. I don't want to write rambling notes as I will forget them. I'm not sure what I can add to it and how to keep it as simple as possible. I am not very good at science

ReputationRep:
    What have you got so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    What have you got so far?
    I know that atoms contain protons and neutrons which are found in the nucleus. Electrons are in the shells that go around the nucleus.

The atomic number is the number of neutrons. The atomic number is equal to the number of electrons.

To find the mass number you do protons + neutrons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackT2000)
    I know that atoms contain protons and neutrons which are found in the nucleus. Electrons are in the shells that go around the nucleus.

The atomic number is the number of neutrons. The atomic number is equal to the number of electrons.

To find the mass number you do protons + neutrons
    I'm in year 11 and want to do well but I just can't find any motivation to revise

I've tried taking notes but that just gets boring after a while and I want to start trying flashcards but I don't know what I should put on the front and back.

ReputationRep:
    Look up what A-Levels and Sixth Forms you want to go to and see the required grade. In Science you usually want a B, but anyone can get As with hard work (I think?).

So, with that in mind, you'll have a goal, something to work towards. That'll make you more motivated than just doing whatever not expecting a grade.

Anyway, with your flashcards I would find the definitions of keywords for every topic in your textbook (if you have one), and just copy them. Quizlet (and app for your phone and maybe a website) is also useful and will have little activities you can do on them.

Also do past papers and make brief notes from textbooks with essential information. Look at structures for 6 mark answers and look for what the examiners want to see.

I hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena64)
    Look up what A-Levels and Sixth Forms you want to go to and see the required grade. In Science you usually want a B, but anyone can get As with hard work (I think?).

So, with that in mind, you'll have a goal, something to work towards. That'll make you more motivated than just doing whatever not expecting a grade.

Anyway, with your flashcards I would find the definitions of keywords for every topic in your textbook (if you have one), and just copy them. Quizlet (and app for your phone and maybe a website) is also useful and will have little activities you can do on them.

Also do past papers and make brief notes from textbooks with essential information. Look at structures for 6 mark answers and look for what the examiners want to see.

I hope I helped!
    Where do you write your notes? Do notes actually help with revision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackT2000)
    Where do you write your notes? Do notes actually help with revision?
    Just get some lined paper and write them there. It helps you to reread what you've already learned and be reminded of it, as well as giving you a neat and brief summary of things. You might have huge paragraphs that you copied from the board but maybe not every sentence is necessary.

When revising, be sure to switch up subjects. So do Science for an hour, then take a 15 min break and start a different subject, it'll keep you interested.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.