Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Law / uni / soliciting / cilex advice!

    • Thread Starter

    Hello I am nearly 17 and have just started my a levels I am studying history, government and politics, sociology and business studies. I would like to be a solictor and I know this is a long shot but I was wondering if there is a way to become a solicitor without a law degree at university as university doesn't appeal to me but I still have an interest in law. I have heard of a cilex course but don't know anything about it or how it works and was wondering if anyone knew of any other routes to take in order to be a solicitor or do I really need to go to university with a law degree to get anywhere? I am very confused and any advice / help would be really appreciated thank you

    Non-graduate routeIf you already work in a legal office, you can join the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx), which is the governing body for chartered legal executives. The minimum entry requirement is four GCSEs, (including English) or equivalent. You must pass examinations to qualify first as a member and later as a fellow.

    This explains it

    Qualifying by this route take longer than the graduate route, it is demanding and academically challenging, and requires that you enter and maintain CILEx-approved legal employment. The CILEx examination framework enables you to fulfil the requirements of the academic stage of training, including the foundations of legal knowledge.

    If you want to know more about the structure and availability of training via this route, see the CILEx website, or contact the organisation by email: [email protected] or telephone 01234 841000.

    Just for your information OP, I don't think soliciting means what you think it means...
Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.