The Student Room Group

Could I get into medicine?

I really want to do medicine at University but I didn't get good grades at GCSE (compared to other medicine applicants).
I got 6 a's in Maths, Chem, Bio, Physics, Statistics and R.S and 5 b's in French, Eng Lang & Lit, History and finally Photography.😕
Right now I am studying Maths, Bio, Chem and Economics and have had all A's so far in the topic tests. Also my personal statement right now is reasonably good (DofE bronze, 3x volunteering, sports etc) and I will obviously still add to this over the year.
I know that there are other options like to go into biochemistry first but does anyone think that I could still do medicine at a good/Russell group university with these GCSE's? Thanks in advance 😊
(edited 7 years ago)
You definitely have options, especially since you got As in the sciences. See this list for more details -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

Some unis are really GCSE heavy, so you'll need to avoid Birmingham, King's, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc. but A-Levels are much more important. Also, anywhere you study medicine is good and you'll be a doctor at the end of it, regardless of whether it's a Russell Group uni or not, so don't worry about that aspect.
Reply 2
Original post by Going_To_California
You definitely have options, especially since you got As in the sciences. See this list for more details -http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

Some unis are really GCSE heavy, so you'll need to avoid Birmingham, King's, Cardiff, Edinburgh etc. but A-Levels are much more important. Also, anywhere you study medicine is good and you'll be a doctor at the end of it, regardless of whether it's a Russell Group uni or not, so don't worry about that aspect.

Thanks for the link ^^ I'll do more research after I get my as levels but right now I'm going to try to work towards getting into imperial or Manchester (got to aim high) but I'll be grateful if I get into any to be honest :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending