Advice on placement requests

Announcements

Hi,

This might be a first. I've been studying medicine for a couple of years now and we're now out and about doing clinical rotations. These are assigned randomly to ensure equity. However, I haven't been able to afford to actually live out (I commuted around 1 hour 20 to get to uni (so around 3 hours total a day) for the first 2 years). But now we're assigned places and I won't be able to make it for early 8 AM lectures, or even for 9 AM simply because of my commute and the mode of transportation I have to use (I don't own a car). Getting a car and commuting the extra distance isn't really an option due to my finances and I can't move out. My student finance doesn't help much simply because they deem my mother's income to be high (even though my dad doesn't work) as she is a medic but they neglect the fact that there's 2 other siblings and a mortgage to deal with. I'm worried they'll make me move out when I don't have the funds to do that or will place me somewhere that is far ( I don't have much choice there's literally only 2 hospitals close to where I live that I can realistically commute to while getting there on time and the 2nd hospital will be nip and tuck running for it to get there on time kinda stuff). I've got an appointment to discuss the issue with the person doing the placements and wants to know how I can best put this and get them to make an exception to accomodate for my needs? They haven't been lenient in the past with placement requests with other students.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi,

This might be a first. I've been studying medicine for a couple of years now and we're now out and about doing clinical rotations. These are assigned randomly to ensure equity. However, I haven't been able to afford to actually live out (I commuted around 1 hour 20 to get to uni (so around 3 hours total a day) for the first 2 years). But now we're assigned places and I won't be able to make it for early 8 AM lectures, or even for 9 AM simply because of my commute and the mode of transportation I have to use (I don't own a car). Getting a car and commuting the extra distance isn't really an option due to my finances and I can't move out. My student finance doesn't help much simply because they deem my mother's income to be high (even though my dad doesn't work) as she is a medic but they neglect the fact that there's 2 other siblings and a mortgage to deal with. I'm worried they'll make me move out when I don't have the funds to do that or will place me somewhere that is far ( I don't have much choice there's literally only 2 hospitals close to where I live that I can realistically commute to while getting there on time and the 2nd hospital will be nip and tuck running for it to get there on time kinda stuff). I've got an appointment to discuss the issue with the person doing the placements and wants to know how I can best put this and get them to make an exception to accomodate for my needs? They haven't been lenient in the past with placement requests with other students.

Thanks.
    Are you talking about brief visits or several week long placements? My university offers accommodation for all outblocks (i.e. not the hospitals in the city), does your university? Have you spoken to them? They may not have been lenient for other students, but we don't know why they were asking. Its not unreasonable to want something nearer to home but were you warned about commuting?

I think you just have to bite the bullet and explain it to them like you've explained it to us. its possible the nearest placements to you aren't very popular anyway because they involve travel for everyone else. Just be aware that not every hospital will offer the same placements and you may be expected to go elsewhere at some point.

It's a 10 week placement or so, my university doesn't offer that see. I have spoken to them on a superficial level and they all say the basic customer service like line of "We understand but we're afraid it's not likely to get the same placement twice.". And yeah the place I wanted to request is basically hated by everyone else but I'm only in 3rd year and they're talking about how I need to get experience in bigger hospitals and stuff. I'll have to give it a shot with this more senior fella see if he can let me off the hook. I mean, what else constitues ECs that would allow for this placement request? I've heard of one person who basically stayed in the same hospital for 2 years because she got pregnant. My anatomy doesn't allow me to pull that off sadly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    (I commuted around 1 hour 20 to get to uni (so around 3 hours total a day) for the first 2 years).
    How much did you spend on that?!

Sadly, many universities are like yours and just expect their students to have cars, which is just silly.

All I can add is that perhaps for that 10 week period you'd be able to stay with a friend? Or find somewhere very cheap nearby? I've heard of people living out of common rooms, though sounds stressful so perhaps wouldn't recommend.

I think just really emphasise how tight your budget is, with numbers so it sounds like you've considered all possibilities, and hope that the med school either gives you nearby placements or is able to arrange accommodation/financial assistance.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes worth contacting your university outside of the normal medical school system as well. The Student Unions often have hardship funds and you could potentially access these for this sort of problem. As nexttime says it's best to go in with an actual budget deficit worked out, so you know what to ask for and can prove you're genuinely struggling.

Well, I don't get any support from home (busy paying mortgages + visa costs and 2 siblings) and I have to survive on 3000. The train will cost around 1.2k a year so I end up spending around 1.5k in total a year. That means over two years I've only saved 3000 pounds and so I don't have much else. I don't have any other support from student finance since they deem my household income to be too high based on my mother's earnings. Also my university does an estimated living funds and accomodation funds fees pages and it comes to around 7000 pounds just for basic living fees. That's a solid 4000 pound deficet a year that I just can't crack :'(

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.